• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding w/ New Bunnies

aatkin

Warren Scout
Hi all. We brought home our two new bunnies this week and they are getting settled into their new home. These are our first ever bunnies, so it's new for everyone involved. I just thought I would ask for people's tips and advice for bonding with our new bunnies. Their 'homebase' in my office, so at the moment I'm not working in there until they are settled in completely.

Each day I am spending time with them in their space, sitting or laying down - letting them come up to investigate me in their own time. They seem very interested in me when I am tidying, moving things around, changing the litter, etc. And of course when I feed them! This morning I gently stroked them while they devoured their pellets. They seemed content with it while they were eating, but at soon as they stopped eating they'd move away, so I didn't push it (Peabody came back and forth to the bowl, Emerson sat it out).

Next week we're going to let them out of their area to explore the hallway as we've bunny-proofed the downstairs and would like to welcome them down here in the evenings. I am planning to use a big deep tub of hay for them in the living room, as I think they'll prefer it in here to the kitchen (since we have rugs in the living room and none in the kitchen - and Emerson has made it aparent he's no good at traversing a great lino expanse)! Any tips for introducing them to new areas? Or bonding with them in general?

Be patient. This might help but you're doing all the right things. Really though, remembering they are prey species and that they need to learn they can trust you will get the results you want in the end. It can take days, weeks, months, years, depending on the bunnies, but be patient, progress at their pace and don't take anything personally. You'll get there :)

Be patient. This might help but you're doing all the right things. Really though, remembering they are prey species and that they need to learn they can trust you will get the results you want in the end. It can take days, weeks, months, years, depending on the bunnies, but be patient, progress at their pace and don't take anything personally. You'll get there :)

That was a great article - thanks! I'll show it to my OH (This means, other-half, right? Not like otter-helper, ozone-healer, obnoxious-heathen, etc, right?) too!

That was a great article - thanks! I'll show it to my OH (This means, other-half, right? Not like otter-helper, ozone-healer, obnoxious-heathen, etc, right?) too!

Well, we normally use it to me 'obstructive health-hazard', but it can be 'other half' as well ;) Glad you found it useful. That's my website so feel free to check out the rest of the articles too :)

Okay, you're going to regret being helpful, I've got another question. Peabody is floofier than a floofy thing and is going to need regular grooming. Can I wait to start this until she is more comfortable with me? I don't want to stress her out, but I also know the importance of keeping her fur maintained. Emerson does groom her, but I imagine he doesn't get everywhere, but would his grooming suffice for a little while?

How is she with being handled and stroked? (especially away from her bonded friend and in a space she doesn't know- although you may not know this).

I think it's best to keep on top of it because if you leave it, it will be more distressing when you finally do have to sort it out.

What brushes and such have you got? Also, can you post a pic because some things are different depending on the type of bunny and fur, as to what is needed.

I haven't tried to pick either of them up since bringing them home, as we haven't needed to and I don't want to stress them out unnecessarily. Obviously I know eventually I will need to, especially for grooming. From what I saw at their foster home, Emerson doesn't mind too much (he was picked up and I held him with little fuss), but Peabody doesn't really like being held (she tries to get away from being picked up; once she's held she's okay, but you can tell she'd rather not be). She is much more comfortable around Emerson and always seeks him out if she's nervous. She is very curious though and was the first to explore their new space and the first to investigate me!

I have posted some pictures here: Impending Rabbits! U/D They're here!

I would probably groom her in their space, so Emerson would be there. I have a medium slicker brush. I know rabbits have very sensitive skin and so the grooming needs to be gentle. Would it be an idea to maybe just groom her back or sides the next time I feed them, so she can see the brush isn't dangerous and just get her used to it a bit at a time?

Personally I don't like slicker brushes, I find they tear the skin and just pull. I personally prefer combs and if you can find a comb with the teeth that 'roll' that's even better. However, as a double maned lionhead (and by the way, so beautiful) she may not need it much, just a check. I've got a couple of very fluffy lionheads who don't need much from me at all because their partners do it all.

I tend to do mine away from their area because that can make them more likely to be settled, rather than over confident. Also, I would suggest rewarding her with treats either as you're doing it, or after, so that she sees grooming as a necessary before a positive. I have a bunny who very willingly takes his injection because he gets treats.

Oh noes! I had to traumatise poor Peabody, although I think I may be more upset than she is...

We were very contentedly feeding them their evening veggies when we noticed Peabody had a HUGE matt at her neck, by her ear. I tried to brush it while she was eating hay but she was having none of it. I had to catch her and hold her which she did not like, to investigate. After trying it became clear there was no way the brush would shift it, I relaxed and she dashed into her hidey box. We decided we needed to do something about it so I had to entice her out, catch her again, then I held her while my husband cut the matt out. We gave her a treat during and Emerson came to comfort her. She was mega unhappy and thumped the floor after though! She got a treat after too (through the hidey box door). Will she ever forgive me? Or let me groom her? The foster family said they weren't doing it, as Emerson was... but it's clearly not enough. I saw a tiny fur matt on the other side in the same place, so I'm going to have to do this again, hopefully only with brushing. But I'd like it to be less traumatic for all involved! Help?

Back