• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying?

BethanieLauren

Young Bun
So I took my bun to the vets today.. All is good except now I don't know whether to get her spayed or not. If I don't, there's risk of cancer. If I do, theres risk of a bad reaction to the anesthetic. Either way I look at it, my baby is in danger :( What would you guys suggest? She's not going to be near any male rabbits so breeding isn't the issue.

I personally believe the miniscule chance of anaesthetic is the better option than the 80% chance of getting some sort of hormonal cancer.

Any anaesthetic has risk, but the better the vet and the healthier the rabbit, the lower the risk.

Also, if she gets cancer you may well opt to spay anyway, but it would probably be too late because it would likely have spread and the anaesthetic risk would be greater because bunny would be so ill.

You might want to have a look at this and this.

All my girls are spayed, even those who had health problems, although I did have one that had to be delayed because the risk of the anaesthetic was great for her at that time.

All you can do though is to make the best decisions you can with the info you have.

Something else to consider would be that you may want to bond her with another bunny in the future, to give her a friend, and that is significantly easier if she is spayed.

~85% of does get uterine cancer by the age of 4ish.

Good Rabbit Savvy Vets spay dozens of rabbits, and have a very low death rate.

Thousands of rabbits are neutered/spayed, yes there is a risk, but is it as much of a risk to prevent something that is fairly likely to happen?

Also, once she is controlled by hormones, she could be a totally different rabbit and become aggressive, destructive etc. Not to say that cant happen anyway, but again, the likelyhood is reduced.

Obviously its up to you, but to me, its a no brainer.

I think I AM going to get her spayed... Is there anyone that knows of any rabbit savvy vets in the portsmouth area? My usual is lovely but she seemed a bit uncertain with the bun

If you go into the Rabbit Chat part of the forum and post a thread called 'Rabbit Savvy vet in/near Portsmouth?' then hopefully someone will have a suggestion for you. :)

Back