• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

hot, red, slightly swollen genitals with white spots - ud post 19

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
Tipped Imogen over earlier to give her a bum check, she really really wasn't happy with it which is a bit abnormal for her, called Dad in to help me and when I finally managed to pop out her bits I noticed they looked a little odd but couldn't remember what colour they're supposed to be, but then I realised she had little white bits either side of her penis looking thing (what are those called?!) I tried to wipe it away with a little water assuming it was discharge but it wouldn't budge :? I compared her bits with Sebastians and she is definitely swollen, red and hot. Any ideas what it could be? She's on 0.8ml baytril per day, 6 drops of metacam a day for her resp infection.

She's been humping Sebastian and biting him but I assumed this was food agression. I saw her air hump earlier as well, I heard the sound of the litter tray wobbling so looked over and she was sat there humping nothing :? she wasn't hunched over or anything just sat up.

We're at the vets at 10.20 tomorrow

Last edited:
Could it be thrush? Women can get thrush when on antibiotics can't they? I think the bacterial balance down there gets affected and thrush can take hold. Fits with the redness and white spots.

Any chance he bit her if she humped the wrong way round?

But it could be somethig like Syphillis which can lay dormant until the immune system is compromised. Equally, one has to at least consider Myxo, even if it is ruled out quickly.

no it doesn't appear to be a bite, I've looking both out and inside her genitals just incase it was a bite. I did wonder about syphilis but I'm not sure what that looks like, I also don't think it is myxi but will keep that in mind. I need to try and get a photo of these spots for you :?

ok thankyou, could be a possibility then :thumb:

not brilliant photos I'm afraid. The spots aren't evident until the genitals are full exposed, in the first photo its evident on the left (I was holding a rabbit, exposing her genitals and taking a photo so one side was fully exposed and the other wasn't) and in the second photo you can just start to see it on the right.

14w57au.jpg

1zprxn4.jpg

It may well be syphilis . A flare up can be triggered when the Rabbit's immune system is under stress. If it is she will need a course of Penicillin Injections.

ok thankyou, any idea if this can be done along side her baytril? Will Sebastian need treating and am I at risk?

Rabbit syphilis is a different strain to humans. It's not a zoonotic and you are safe :)

As for the other two questions, I would speak to your vet as I'm not sure. If it is syphilis, he/she will obviously advise you.

Just want to add some vibes for Imogen ((((((((((((((healing vibes))))))))))))))) Poor thing, that does look uncomfortable. :(
Hope she is feeling better soon. (((((((((hugs)))))))))))

thats alright then, can you imagine explaining that you caught syphilis from your pet rabbit :lol:

I was reading up yesterday and noticed that the official name had cuniculi at the end (like EC) Imogen has both a past and a more recent infection and will need to be treated every 6 months, I wonder if it's somehow connected

Well the vets are stumped :lol: she took her out of the room to consult the other vets and vet nurses, none of them have seen anything like it so they have taken photos and have sent them to John Chitty, I should hear back by tonight

Back