• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help: there's Something wrong with my bunny

So I have 3 house rabbits and all very cheeky especially are newest one sooty his about 7-8months old and forever causing as much chaos as possible!
However this morning he wouldn't come out when I opened his cage normally he begs to come out. So I left him for 5 minutes and went back and he hadnt moved he was sitting in his " duck" pose all legs underneath him and fluffed out. I picked him up which he usually goes mad at and he didnt do anything he didn't even flinch. I gave him a cuddle and out him down An he just went and flopped against the wall. He has done a poo this morning but he has wet himself. I have squirted some water in his mouth but I can't get him to eat anything and he is just really tired!
I have had to go to work and I won't be back until late this evening and I'm hoping my partner will be able to get him to the vets on his lunch break.
I feel so awful leaving him. I don't want him to die :(

He is neutered and has had all vaccinations.

Oh dear that doesn't sound good.

He needs to see the vet immediately really - get him there as soon as humanly possible, meantime keep him warm.

I think you have to make arrangements which ever way you can to get him seen by the vet this morning. Can you book an appointment for your lunch break failing getting someone else to him earlier?

I am sure you already know that he needs to be seen sooner rather than later, if he's not eating.

I hope it's nothing serious.

I have phoned the vets and my partner is goi g to get some food to syringe feed him on his lunch break and they will see him at 5.30. I work a hour away so I can't get back to him so in just hope he can hold on until my partner can get to him :(

He has pooped a few times this morning though so he has eaton something !

Oh no, poor Sooty :cry: That does sound quite serious. If your partner is going to see him at lunch time and Sooty is still the same, I would get him to take him to the vets anyway. Even without an appointment they should see him if it's an emergency, which it will be if he's still poorly in two hours' time. 5.30pm may be too late :cry: Also, I wouldn't syringe anything without the vets ruling out a blockage first, as it may make things worse. Good luck xx

Oh no, poor Sooty :cry: That does sound quite serious. If your partner is going to see him at lunch time and Sooty is still the same, I would get him to take him to the vets anyway. Even without an appointment they should see him if it's an emergency, which it will be if he's still poorly in two hours' time. 5.30pm may be too late :cry: Also, I wouldn't syringe anything without the vets ruling out a blockage first, as it may make things worse. Good luck xx

This.

Hope something can be done.

In these cases time really is of the essence.

If hes not eating the vet should consider it as an emergency. The same happened with my bunny, unfortunately it was too late. Get him in asap xx

I have to agree with previous posts, I think he needs to see the vet ASAP and best not to wait til 5.30 :( hope he is ok x

I agree that your partner should not syringe feed your rabbit without first having a vet confirm if the tummy is already full, or bloated. Syringing more food when there is a blockage or bloat could make things much worse, and could even be fatal.

Syringing fluids would be a much better idea. Just water from a syringe to help with hydration.

So I have 3 house rabbits and all very cheeky especially are newest one sooty his about 7-8months old and forever causing as much chaos as possible!
However this morning he wouldn't come out when I opened his cage normally he begs to come out. So I left him for 5 minutes and went back and he hadnt moved he was sitting in his " duck" pose all legs underneath him and fluffed out. I picked him up which he usually goes mad at and he didnt do anything he didn't even flinch. I gave him a cuddle and out him down An he just went and flopped against the wall. He has done a poo this morning but he has wet himself. I have squirted some water in his mouth but I can't get him to eat anything and he is just really tired!
I have had to go to work and I won't be back until late this evening and I'm hoping my partner will be able to get him to the vets on his lunch break.
I feel so awful leaving him. I don't want him to die :(

He is neutered and has had all vaccinations.

It must be so stressful for you having to go to work when you have a poorly Rabbit. It really would be a good idea if your OH could take Bunny to the Vet ASAP. Even if the Vet has no appointments at the time your OH can get him there your OH could ask for Bunny to be admitted and then examined as soon as a Vet becomes available.

The fact that Bunny has had some fecal output is good news in that a full obstruction is less likely. As you say he has wet himself it is possible that his illness is urinary tract related as opposed to GI tract issues. But obviously only a full examination by the Vet can determine the exact problem.

Personally I would give the Vet a call and explain the situation. Or if you cant phone from work maybe text your OH to get him to contact the Vet to request Bunny is brought in to them at lunch time. I am sure the Vets will be able to sort something out so that Bunny gets treatment before this evening

Please let us know how he is doing. I really feel for you as it must be so distressing to not be able to down tools at work and be with your poorly Bunny. I am sure you would if you could.

I agree with everyone else, please just get your OH to sit up the vets. I have done this a few times with Doughnut. When I've rang they said they had no appointments but because I said it was an emergency they said come asap and you will be seen. I'm sure you won't have to wait long and like others have said 5.30 may be too late. Rabbits deteriorate very quickly.

I hope there is nothing seriously wrong and your bunny picks up.

Thank you for all your replies. My mum has managed to get off work and is on her way down to get him and take him to the vets. Hopefully he will be ok the worst feeling is sitting here at work panicking ! X

Thank you for all you replies. Sooty is back to his normal self this evening binkying everywhere and jumpin on everything.. They don't know what was wrong with him possibly dehydrated ? But when I left him he couldn't barely walk and I get home to him pouncing on the bed ? Bloody rabbit ! Anyways at least he is ok. :)

thats good to hear.. Did the vet examine him and tell you he couldnt find anything?

fee x

Back