• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

holiday without bunny - help please!

letty

New Kit
Hi :wave: Myself and my family are going away for eight days to visit friends and family, however we have been booked into a small apartment that wont allow pets. I have not been away from my house bunny before - Hopsy, who is about eight months old. I don't know what to do for the best. She has free run of the upstairs in our house and I can't decide whether to leave her here with a neighbour popping in to give her food twice a day and hopefully cuddles, or put her into a boarding place. I am even thinking of just taking her with us and keeping her in an indoor cage at the apartment. ..... Hopsy though hates being in a cage but when free she still likes to go to the toilet everywhere, including her litter trays, digs up carpets, eats furniture and causes a lot of destruction. She also has no winter coat so can't go outside either. Its hard to generalise, but I know cats usually are better for staying in their own home - is this the same for rabbits or is company more important and company they know? Thank you for any help you can give me, am getting very stressed about the holiday :(

Hi :wave: Myself and my family are going away for eight days to visit friends and family, however we have been booked into a small apartment that wont allow pets. I have not been away from my house bunny before - Hopsy, who is about eight months old. I don't know what to do for the best. She has free run of the upstairs in our house and I can't decide whether to leave her here with a neighbour popping in to give her food twice a day and hopefully cuddles, or put her into a boarding place. I am even thinking of just taking her with us and keeping her in an indoor cage at the apartment. ..... Hopsy though hates being in a cage but when free she still likes to go to the toilet everywhere, including her litter trays, digs up carpets, eats furniture and causes a lot of destruction. She also has no winter coat so can't go outside either. Its hard to generalise, but I know cats usually are better for staying in their own home - is this the same for rabbits or is company more important and company they know? Thank you for any help you can give me, am getting very stressed about the holiday :(

It will be unsettling for your bunny to be taken out of her environment, but it might be far worse to leave her at home alone as she may become distressed at being alone, and worse, could fall ill when there is nobody to help her. 6-8 hours can be long enough for something to go badly wrong.

There are good places that offer inside boarding with good people so worth seeing what is available in your area and then weighing up the options.

Where are you based?

Do you have a pet sitter in your area? I have someone who comes to visit my bunnies twice a day, so they can keep their routine etc. They're great, as they do the snugglesafes, health checks and hay top ups etc. They follow my instructions to the letter, which is really reassuring.

I am having a pet sitter come and do my outdoor bunnies when I go away so there routine isn't changed hut my house rabbit will be going to a friends. I wouldn't want him having no human interaction all day and night.

thank you

Thank you for all your quick replies :). There are lots of dog walkers around here, but not any other pet sitters as far as I am aware. I was thinking of paying a friends son who is 13 to come in and look after Hopsy and keep her routine, he has looked after our cats before but I am not sure how much time he would spend with Hopsy. I live in West Yorkshire in Calderdale, does anyone know of a good boarding facilities nearby? Do animals in a boarding situation get very much attention? What is snugglesafes? What do you think about the idea of us bringing Hopsy with us with all that I have said earlier? :? Thank you again.

I wouldn't ask a 13 year old, as they wouldn't be able to get Hopsy to the vets if something went wrong. If pets aren't allowed at the holiday cottage I wouldn't risk taking her in case of damage. You could ask your vet if they know any pet sitters or boarders in the area. I think my vet has a folder full of contact details for things like that. They often have adverts on their notice boards for pet sitters too. xx

My vet hasn't but will ask around. It is a lot of responsibility for a 13 year old.... Probably not a good idea about the holiday flat. Thank you :)

My neighbours tend to look after the buns when we are away. They have got their own area where they are safe so neighbours pop in once a day to feed and give water. They know the buns are registered with the vet and can take em should they be concerned about anything.

holidayhutch on here is based in Barnsley - I don't know if they can accommodate indoor buns but it might be worth asking. We've taken ours up there all the way from Leicester once and they were really well looked after.

You could also look into boarding places near where you're going if bunny travels well and it's in the UK.

Tuckerbunnies might be do-able depending where you are in Calderdale - we go there from southwest Leeds and it takes us about an hour. And they definitely get lots of attention while they're there - I know because Maysie picks up on their little personality traits. They have very large boarding pens there which are great for free-range indoor bunnies.

I believe Bunny Camp Leeds also has indoor hutches which are pretty big but haven't been there myself.

Fantastic, that is so much help! I will have a look at all the places that have been recommended. We are going to Brighton and Hopsy does travel well - so I guess thats also an option too and we get to be with her for longer . . . . . and could go and see her . . . . I never thought of that! Can anybody recommend somewhere good to board in the Brighton area for house rabbits?! I will look up here first though and really appreciate all this help! Thank you all x x x :D

Fantastic, that is so much help! I will have a look at all the places that have been recommended. We are going to Brighton and Hopsy does travel well - so I guess thats also an option too and we get to be with her for longer . . . . . and could go and see her . . . . I never thought of that! Can anybody recommend somewhere good to board in the Brighton area for house rabbits?! I will look up here first though and really appreciate all this help! Thank you all x x x :D

I might be on the way to Brighton - Junction 3 of the M3. :D

Brighton indoor boarding?!

:DI am not sure yet which way we are going to Brighton as we want to visit friends on the way down too. I will let you know if we come past your way, do you run a rabbit centre? I really like the look of Tuckerbunnies and their indoor accommodation - but now that I have thought about having Hopsy closer to us, where we could visit her, I am swaying towards somewhere in Brighton! I actually really hate the thought of leaving her! :(

What we did!

hello :wave: I had completely forgotten to thank you all for your help, in the end the owners in Brighton allowed us to bring Hopsy, so we did! It all worked out well, really enjoyed having Hopsy with us, she was great in the car and seemed happy having lots of new places to explore and lots of company! Its great having all the information for boarding for another time though, so thank you very much. Hope all good with you all, best wishes x x x

hello :wave: I had completely forgotten to thank you all for your help, in the end the owners in Brighton allowed us to bring Hopsy, so we did! It all worked out well, really enjoyed having Hopsy with us, she was great in the car and seemed happy having lots of new places to explore and lots of company! Its great having all the information for boarding for another time though, so thank you very much. Hope all good with you all, best wishes x x x

That brilliant! Glad it worked out so well. She is obviously a much loved bun :D

Back