• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are Rabbits for You?

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
A note from my Facebook rescue page https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-rabbit-crossing/are-bunnies-for-you/456752671035132

ARE RABBITS FOR YOU?

There are many things to think about when considering giving a home to some rabbits.

Can you commit to on average 6-12 years of rabbit care?
Rabbits’ life expectancy should be in the region of 6-12 years so need the same level of commitment as a dog or cat

Can you provide the sort of accommodation that bunnies need either indoors or outdoors? Rabbits need a big hutch (minimum of 6ft +) and run, or a large safe area indoors

Can you provide a suitable home for a pair of bunnies?
Rabbits should not be kept singly; they naturally live in colonies and need the company of other rabbits?

Can you afford the start up costs? (Vaccinations - Combined Myxomatosis and VHD annually. Neutering for both sexes) and the ongoing veterinary bills?

Are your circumstances likely to change in the near future?
(Redundancy, moving, divorce, baby) If so make sure you have contingency plans both financial and for ongoing care if things should change so the rabbits don’t suffer.

Is anyone in your family allergic to rabbits or hay?
It is a common for owners who discover they are allergic to give rabbits up and so spending time with some prior to purchase or adoption is absolutely essential

Are you willing to put in the time to learn lots about rabbits, which are very complex animals?
Rabbits are not easy pets and can become unwell or unhappy if not cared for correctly. There are many myths about rabbit care so homework in advance will help keep the rabbits happy and healthy

If the rabbits are to be pets for the children, are you happy to be the responsible adult carer, particularly if the children loose interest?
Very high numbers of rabbits are given in to rescues within the first year of ownership due to the children getting bored and the parents not wishing to continue the care

Can you spend quality time every day with your rabbits? Rabbits do need social interaction from their carers. It’s a very important part of their behavioural development and an excellent way to monitor health

Have you thought about the need for rabbit boarding when you go away for weekends or for your summer holidays (or if you travel frequently with work)? Rabbits need to be cared for properly when you need to go away from home and someone popping in just to feed them is not normally sufficient. Boarding facilities are recommended but can add expense to your holiday budget

Do your family members understand that rabbits generally do not like to be picked up and cuddled and are happiest with all four feet firmly on the floor?
Youngsters may become upset if they cannot pick up their rabbits, and can also lead to aggression (defensive behaviour) from the rabbits resulting in injury to the rabbit or carer.

Can you commit to your rabbits for their lifetime, which may be as long as 8-12years?

I've shared it :) I think people on my facebook must be getting sick of all of my easter rabbit posts etc :lol: but I don't care, hopefully someone reads it and learns something!

Absolutely spot on.
I live on my own, so can't even go away overnight without it costing me extra. I don't mind at all obviously, and I have an excellent professional petsitter who comes and visits them twice a day, but it's something a lot of people wouldn't think about.
Also their life expectancy. Salt is now nearly 9 and at just 4 years old Daisy-Boo and Pippin are just youngsters.
And thinking about it, I've just had to move house and downsize quite considerably so a large proportion of my garden is now given over to rabbit hutches.
This is all fine with me as my bunnies are my family, but I wonder how many people think about this.

Thank you Alycia for sharing.

And Helen, yes, I am getting lots of requests for incoming bunnies now (well for the last few months) and in most cases the people had no clue about keeping bunnies. And of course many blame the pet stores for lack of information or giving out the wrong info. Well yes, shops are not very good at giving out information but it's entirely personal responsibility here and it's up to anyone considering getting any pet to do their homework first. Many people don't give it a second thought. I've taken two lots of bunnies in in the last few months who are only 8 months old and pet shop purchases - so the math says that they've only had them about 4 months!!! Even had a request from someone only a week after purchase.

Enough is enough now. Rabbits deserve better than this.

Thank you Alycia for sharing.

And Helen, yes, I am getting lots of requests for incoming bunnies now (well for the last few months) and in most cases the people had no clue about keeping bunnies. And of course many blame the pet stores for lack of information or giving out the wrong info. Well yes, shops are not very good at giving out information but it's entirely personal responsibility here and it's up to anyone considering getting any pet to do their homework first. Many people don't give it a second thought. I've taken two lots of bunnies in in the last few months who are only 8 months old and pet shop purchases - so the math says that they've only had them about 4 months!!! Even had a request from someone only a week after purchase.

Enough is enough now. Rabbits deserve better than this.

:thumb:

A note from my Facebook rescue page https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-rabbit-crossing/are-bunnies-for-you/456752671035132

Can you commit to on average 6-12 years of rabbit care?
Rabbits’ life expectancy should be in the region of 6-12 years so need the same level of commitment as a dog or cat

Can you provide the sort of accommodation that bunnies need either indoors or outdoors? Rabbits need a big hutch (minimum of 6ft +) and run, or a large safe area indoors

Can you provide a suitable home for a pair of bunnies?
Rabbits should not be kept singly; they naturally live in colonies and need the company of other rabbits?

Can you afford the start up costs? (Vaccinations - Combined Myxomatosis and VHD annually. Neutering for both sexes) and the ongoing veterinary bills?

Can you spend quality time every day with your rabbits? Rabbits do need social interaction from their carers. It’s a very important part of their behavioural development and an excellent way to monitor health

Can you commit to your rabbits for their lifetime, which may be as long as 8-12years?

The above are the reasons why, as much as I would LOVE a bun, I can't allow myself to have one! Rented flat with no garden, busy life = no buns for me. It wouldn't be fair on them.

But hey, I live vicariously through all you guys!! :thumb:

Bumping up in case anyone wants to give this information to folks who are thinking about buying rabbits as gifts this Easter

Back