• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit neutering

avjones1704

Young Bun
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone could run me through what after care should be provided after a rabbit has been neutered. My boyfriend has a french lop and we've just taken him to the vets to finally get himself sorted! (theres only so many times you can be sprayed with wee!!) They said he would be ready for collection at 12 and to just take all hay and straw out of his hutch.

I know I could probably ask them but while I remember my questions I thought I would ask on here:

1. when should I reintroduce his hay/straw?
2. are there any signs I should look out for to see that he isn't coming around from the anaesthetic?
3. how long should I expect for him to be drowsy?

I am such a worrier and have been panicking for the last few days about his op!

Thanks

Hi. The vet's shouldn't release him to you until he has eaten and drunk and pooed and weed. He may be a bit groggy. Sometimes the vets may have to postpone the surgery if there are emergencies, so if he is done later in the afternoon, he may be more groggier. he will need to be watched carefully, and kept indoors and kept warm, as buns have difficulty controlling their temperature. he may be reluctant to eat, so make sure you have a selection of his favourite herbs/treats to tempt him to eat.

I'm not sure about the hay/straw, but I would think about a week. Give him old towels on top of puppy pads/bed mats as these are easier to wash/dispose of.

When you take him to vet, make him up a packed lunch of his normal food/veg etc, as he will need to eat right up till surgery and after...better to have his own food.

Forgot to add, drowsiness depends on what time he has surgery and how well he responds to coming out of anaesthetic. My Pebbles had his last dental done late in afternoon, and was very groggy and cold all night and next day. he was so cold, I kept him in bed with me under duvet all night. But most buns bounce back quickly, especially if they are younger.

Last edited:
1. when should I reintroduce his hay/straw? He will need hay all the time because it's supposed to be 90-95% of his diet, so make sure he has this. He shouldn't have any litter though, because that could stick to his wounds. Mine have always been at least partly on hay and been fine. If you'e worried you can just have it in a hay rack and use something non shedding for the floor (like fleece)
2. are there any signs I should look out for to see that he isn't coming around from the anaesthetic? You need him to eat, drink, wee and poo within the first few hours of coming home. If they send him home really drowsy you might find he is staggery and really sleepy. this should improve as he passes the anaesthetic through his system- done by fluids, mainly
3. how long should I expect for him to be drowsy? most of my neutered bunnies have returned either at normal, or nearly at normal

Hope all goes well with your bun's neuter. The op for males is quite straightforward, but some buns take longer to recover than others. There is a bit on after-care in this section:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?84269-Vet-Questions-Neutering

Many vets will not discharge a rabbit until they have eaten and toiletted. 12 noon is muche arlier than normal collection times post-neuter. You should also ask about pain relief. Some should have been given at the vets, but you should be told how long this dose will last so that you can be alert for signs of pain (eg. not eating) and ask for more pain relief.

Hi. The vet's shouldn't release him to you until he has eaten and drunk and pooed and weed. He may be a bit groggy. Sometimes the vets may have to postpone the surgery if there are emergencies, so if he is done later in the afternoon, he may be more groggier. he will need to be watched carefully, and kept indoors and kept warm, as buns have difficulty controlling their temperature. he may be reluctant to eat, so make sure you have a selection of his favourite herbs/treats to tempt him to eat.

I'm not sure about the hay/straw, but I would think about a week. Give him old towels on top of puppy pads/bed mats as these are easier to wash/dispose of.

When you take him to vet, make him up a packed lunch of his normal food/veg etc, as he will need to eat right up till surgery and after...better to have his own food.

I sent him a packed lunch with everything and his little towel which he looks to snuggle into. Would you advise for us to keep him in his hutch? He is a very clingy rabbit and will do anything to get on my knee! Yesterday he managed to jump onto my bed (which is rather high) whilst I was reading; but I am worried he may hurt himself/knock the stitches? But at the same time I don't want him feeling lonely as he's out of his hutch with me most of the day

Sorry...forgot about hay for food :lol: Sky-O is right..he will still need a supply of food to eat..but try to keep this away from his litter if possible ( I know most buns won't eat hay unless in litter box, so maybe find som very soft have if possible.)

I'm trying to link you to an article I've written but it doesn't want to play at the mo, will link when I can.

Sorry...forgot about hay for food :lol: Sky-O is right..he will still need a supply of food to eat..but try to keep this away from his litter if possible ( I know most buns won't eat hay unless in litter box, so maybe find som very soft have if possible.)

In the food I sent him I put in quite a bit of hay, he's got a two story cage so usually I have a whole section with hay as he eats a ridiculous amount of it and stomps when its gone. Should I just leave his litter tray empty too then?

I'm trying to link you to an article I've written but it doesn't want to play at the mo, will link when I can.

thanks that will be great! I've only ever had one other bunny and he was already neutered so I'm unsure of what to expect

Back