• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have just seen a ad on gumtree with a rabbit in a tiny hutch

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
I would go as far as to say it is the smallest hutch I have ever seen, you can see the rabbit in it :( someone pointed it out on a pet page on Facebook. It's not in my area and even if it was they are asking money for it. Is there anything the RSPCA could do? I don't know if they would as it has food and water I guess. It's just awful :(

Judging by the stuff I have heard, I'd say they probably wouldn't do anything as the bunny has food and water and shelter:( poor bun :(

I have seen something similar to this before in my area - really sad!

The same person then tried to sell the small hutch to me it was the smallest thing I have ever seen!!

:( So, so sad.
I have banned myself from these sites now, as I recently rescued my new bun Bert from awful conditions. He too, was in a hutch (box!) which he could even hop more than once in it. I now have him living separately from my other 3, but he's in a much bigger hutch and I am hoping to bond him with my 3 soon.

:( So, so sad.
I have banned myself from these sites now, as I recently rescued my new bun Bert from awful conditions. He too, was in a hutch (box!) which he could even hop more than once in it. I now have him living separately from my other 3, but he's in a much bigger hutch and I am hoping to bond him with my 3 soon.

I should ban myself from looking!!!! Even worse now that the babies have been rehomes and I have spare hutch/run combo not being used :roll:

It's awful, I wasn't even looking at gumtree just a pet Facebook page where you can post pics of your pets. Someone posted a link to it. I have honestly never seen such a small hutch it is tiny. Hubby was even horrified. Poor, poor bunny :(

:(

I didn't know this, but on the way into town there is a pet shop and it is packed full of cages, hamster, guinea pig, rabbit etc - none are worthy of living space.. outside it had bags of straw and woodshavings, and the smallest hutch I have ever seen :( it must have been about 3ft but not even a foot high or a foot wide :cry: god knows if they have any animals inside, god help them if they do :cry:

:(

I didn't know this, but on the way into town there is a pet shop and it is packed full of cages, hamster, guinea pig, rabbit etc - none are worthy of living space.. outside it had bags of straw and woodshavings, and the smallest hutch I have ever seen :( it must have been about 3ft but not even a foot high or a foot wide :cry: god knows if they have any animals inside, god help them if they do :cry:

Just awful :( my worry is that this bunny is just living his life everyday in this hutch with no free time out if it. It's horrible :(

rspca won't do anything!!

when some:censored: called them on me, cos of the 'dead chickens left lying around the garden' rubbish! rolo was on a temp 3 1/2 hutch as his old one, the roof caved in, in the middle of the night, and the small hutch was all I had, and they rspca guy didn't even mention it!!! now even that shocked me!! and I was terrified I loose them, but no, they were fine apparently:shock:

There seems to be a MASSIVE difference between what the RSPCA think is acceptable and what Rabbit Rescues require... suppose this must be helping to perpetuate the situation rescues feel they are struggling to change ... :?

when some:censored: called them on me, cos of the 'dead chickens left lying around the garden' rubbish! rolo was on a temp 3 1/2 hutch as his old one, the roof caved in, in the middle of the night, and the small hutch was all I had, and they rspca guy didn't even mention it!!! now even that shocked me!! and I was terrified I loose them, but no, they were fine apparently:shock:

That is shocking :shock:

There seems to be a MASSIVE difference between what the RSPCA think is acceptable and what Rabbit Rescues require... suppose this must be helping to perpetuate the situation rescues feel they are struggling to change ... :?

The hutch in the ad I'm talking about doesn't even look 3ft long :( I would say more like 2ft something. How anyone could even think it is acceptable for a flea let alone a rabbit I don't know.

Poor little bunny. :cry:

Sadly it's not uncommon. At Kirkby (where I volunteer) rabbits have been handed in living in hutches that aren't a deal bigger than carriers. :cry:

What an utterly miserable existence. :cry:

Back