• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Xeno 450 VS xenex ultra for treatment of lice?

wildchild91

Young Bun
I have a large new Zealand white rabbit who I've just discovered has lice, and a large german lop living in the same area, I know i'l have to treat them both so I'm trying to find the most cost effective way of doing this (without scrimping on actually getting rid of the little :censored:)

My vet suggested xeno 450 but I've just seen the xenex stuff for about 20quid cheaper? anyone recommend either way? or recommend something else entirely?

Absolutely never the Xenex Ultra stuff- please search this on the forum to find more info on this.

I used Xeno 450 when mine had lice. Worked a treat. I tend to use Advantage for fleas now (which is what I used Xenex for in the past).

jeez how on earth has that product not been pulled?! :? I'm really sorry to hear you lost a rabbit...that's really disturbing...I imagine that's why my vet didn't mention that one to me...I think the Xeno sounds like the safest option...I don't know whether to get the 200 spray or the 450? As I say both the rabbits are fairly big...which would you suggest?

definitely not fleas...I was lucky enough for my vet to let me have a look at the little ickys though the microscope!

I haven't used the spray, but have used the Spot On, so I only have experience of that (although I did find the Ivermectin injections didn't help with lice). I also don't use Xeno any more, but use another product with Ivermectin in. Choice is yours really :)

can I ask what you use? ;)

I've found easimec invermectin but it seems to work out more expensive...in fact...no it doesn't?

Im getting confused with ml to kg :oops::oops::oops:

For control of lice, mites & other insects & roundworms in racing pigeons, guinea pigs and pet rabbits Apply to back of neck once per week for three consecutive weeks Racing Pigeons- Use one drop weekly for three weeks Guinea Pigs- Use three drops weekly for three weeks Pet Rabbits- Use 3-6 drops weekly as above (2-3 drops per kg weight)

...im confused

Last edited:
hmmmm...and you have many bunnies...I have two large bunnies...this should technically equal out haha!

thanks for the info! Reckon I'l go with this! Can I just ask you, the description doesn't seem clear to me...is 6 drops the max you use per session?

(I don't know how this works on lice, by the way, but it's the same active ingredient as Xeno450 so I don't see why it wouldn't work).

Erm, the info sheet is quite comprehensive. I haven't had to look at it to that weight, as my biggest is 'only' 3kg. What I took from the sheet was that each 0.5kg was worth 1 drop, although that was a potentially fluffy translation because it doesn't actually say that, that was my own maths that did that, so I would say read the instruction leaflet and follow what it says. My bottle lasted my outdoor bunnies twice round and a bit more before running out, and for each bunny on the Xeno it would be one box for each (roughly), so it was infinitely cheaper for the amount I was doing.

I'm just wondering whether to get one bottle or two...Mollie is probably around the 3.5-4kg mark...Welly is about 5kg I think? If one bottle went around several of your rabbits though it should work out...or maybe I'l just get two to be safe...;)

My bottle did 5 bunnies at 1.5kg, two bunnies at 2kg and one bunny at 3kg, if that helps. And then I spilt it.

that does help...two bottles it is...and at 16pounds that's a hell of an improvement from the 30quid per bunny from the vets!

Sorry, I wasn't clear. It did each if those a full round (so three sets of treatment for each of those bunnies), it then also did one more individual round and I spilt it. Just wanted to clarify that :)

Back