• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

im worried my vet hasn't neutered my doe.

xSmeffy123x

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone i am really worried because i know a high ovarian cancer rate is associated with unspayed buns....
The procedure was done over 18months ago but she won't bond with my other bun polly and recently has been grunting around food and started humping a teddy bun that has been in her hutch for company... Is this normal or has my vet not neutered her properly :s
One thing that might help with this is that i brought the teddy into my room today where my bun normally spends her days. I dont normally do this.. Could this be a trigger?

I can't answer your question about whether the vet did the procedure properly. What I can say is I believe that if there was any tissue left at all when the op was carried out, that can cause problems in the future.

However, many rabbits are being overly territorial at the moment in my personal experience and that phenomenon is known as Spring Fever.

Something new in her area could also cause her to act in a defensive manner.

Agree with what the Duchess said.

In addition - have you attempted bonding in a small neutral space etc etc?

Ok thank u for that erm yea i hav tried to bond them in a neutral space but they immediatly tried to fight and it stayed like that for the whole time. I will get fat fluffs to help me bond them next time...
What i find weird tho is she is fine with the teddy in her hutch n i guess it smells like her. But now in my room shes humping away at it and stomping.shall i take the teddy away altogether or will that upset her?

Everything should be neutral in an area when bonding.

I should say that it will be much harder to bond two girls (if I'm reading it right and that's what you have), although possible, it certainly won't be easy.

Girls can be very defensive "of their nest", in other words territory, so make the area very small, and have it completely away from anywhere that either rabbit has ever been.

This is how I bond bunnies - basic guide which might help (if you have access to Facebook) https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-rabbit-crossing/my-guide-to-how-i-bond-rabbits/463430373700695

My little girl humps a teddy too, I posted it on the forum the day I joined and all the responses told me that it was hormones and she needed to be spayed. I don't know whether it would be the same in this case but by the sounds of it the vet may have done something a little wrong. Can't be sure but I hope it has helped a little :wave: You may want to talk to the vet again and tell them about it as they might be able to tell you what is up

Hi everyone i am really worried because i know a high ovarian cancer rate is associated with unspayed buns....
The procedure was done over 18months ago but she won't bond with my other bun polly and recently has been grunting around food and started humping a teddy bun that has been in her hutch for company... Is this normal or has my vet not neutered her properly :s
One thing that might help with this is that i brought the teddy into my room today where my bun normally spends her days. I dont normally do this.. Could this be a trigger?

Jura does all this, and is most definitely spayed because I have photos of her wound I took when she was healing.

I think it could just be her personality. If its changes recently like you said, I would suspect there would be an underlying health issue causing her to be grumpier than normal.

As has been said, there could be an underlying health issue (teeth, in particular) giving her pain. I would advise taking her to the vet for a check-up to make sure everything is ok.

Female buns will hump even if they have been spayed..it's a sign of dominance. All my buns have been spayed at least two years prior to bonding into a quad, and it was always the girls that humped each other! It was also the female buns that had a major fight 16 months after bonding. Females are very territorial and are often difficult to bond unless they are introduced to each other at a young age.

Thank you for all of your advice you all seem very knowledgeable! i will see if fatfluffs could help me and i will take a look at your bonding page. My vet has checked her recently and she is healthy. I guess she is being territorial as she jus ignorin the teddy now she is back in her hutch... Is this right?
I kinda guess that same sex pairs are tricky and in the future would be willing to see if they will bond with a male each, i dont want them to be lonely

Back