PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit breeders in Newcastle Upon Tyne

avjones1704
20-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a Netherland Dwarf rabbit. I have searched all over for Netherland Dwarf breeder's in the area; however, I am struggling to find one who has healthy and well cared for rabbits!

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Alicia

elmoandfern
20-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Have you considered adopting? :) http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/search.asp?inlocation=&RabAge=&RabSex=&RabBond=%25&breed=15

Lea-Anne
20-02-2013, 05:38 PM
I have one needing a home. Called Chips and from Cheshire. She has an ad, please look :love:

OwnedByRabbits
20-02-2013, 05:40 PM
I have one needing a home. Called Chips and from Cheshire. She has an ad, please look :love:

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=31090

Lea-Anne
20-02-2013, 05:41 PM
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=31090

Ta hun :thumb: I'm on my phone, ill in bed x

mollyjoker
20-02-2013, 05:59 PM
I am sure you will find what you are looking for from a rescue.
There are a few in our area,but if you see a bun somewhere else i am sure the good people on this
forum will sort out a bunny run.
Good Luck keep us informed.

Bluesmum
20-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a Netherland Dwarf rabbit. I have searched all over for Netherland Dwarf breeder's in the area; however, I am struggling to find one who has healthy and well cared for rabbits!

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Alicia

That's because 90% of the time they are just in it for the money. Why not try your local rescues or someone like Honeybunnies....she (and others) rehome all over the country.

Buns from rescues usually come neutered (unless they are too young) and vaccinated so it works out a LOT cheaper in the long run :wave:

batmobile
20-02-2013, 07:21 PM
I have seen loads of Nethie's in rescues, young, old... I am sure people on here can help you find whatever you like!

Sky-O
20-02-2013, 07:28 PM
I agree, there will be nethies all over the country, in rescues. However, I do know of a breeder in Scotland who breeds nethies, and she might be an option, although preferably look for a rescue bunny.

avjones1704
20-02-2013, 07:41 PM
thanks guys! I hadn't thought of rescue!

Although I am a bit wary about rescue, I got a little netherland dwarf off a person on gumtree. I got rather attached; however, it transpired that he wasn't 1 (as they told me) he was actually around 5 (the vet guessed). Last week I found him dead and was rather traumatised! However, I'm sure if I could find a reliable rescue that may be good!

I'm not too bothered what colour they are; however, I would like one that is happy living on their own as I don't have a massive hutch and wouldn't like them to be squashed up together!!

Lea-Anne chips looks gorgeous! however I'd struggle to get him from Chester as I don't have a car and would have to rely upon a friend to take me there - they don't mind going quite far out but I'd feel bad asking them to go that far! Sorry! otherwise I would have loved him!!

OwnedByRabbits
20-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Lea-Anne chips looks gorgeous! however I'd struggle to get him from Chester as I don't have a car and would have to rely upon a friend to take me there - they don't mind going quite far out but I'd feel bad asking them to go that far! Sorry! otherwise I would have loved him!!

A bunny run would be organised to get her to you :thumb:

avjones1704
20-02-2013, 07:52 PM
A bunny run would be organised to get her to you :thumb:

oh! that would be very useful then!

How long is an average netherland rabbits life span? I know this may sound horrible to ask but after losing little Guilliame last week I really don't want to become attached to another rabbit if they're not likely to live for long after!

I only had him for 2 months which is probably why I'm a bit nervous about getting a slightly older one.

The Duchess
20-02-2013, 08:26 PM

How long is an average netherland rabbits life span? I know this may sound horrible to ask but after losing little Guilliame last week I really don't want to become attached to another rabbit if they're not likely to live for long after!

I only had him for 2 months which is probably why I'm a bit nervous about getting a slightly older one.

I have a 10 year old nethie and an 8 year old nethie :-)

batmobile
20-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Rabbits are very sociable and ideally need a friend in bunny form to have a truly happy life. Unless of course they are living inside with a lot of one on one human interaction. I had a bunny who lived until he was 12.5 so really they can live as long as some dogs etc. do you have a run attached to the hutch? The RSPCA recommend a minimum of 6ftx2ft hutch with a 6ftx4ft run attached for one or two bunnies... With a rescue you will get a lot of advice, back up and a neutered bunny. They have so many ages that if you did want a younger one, I am sure they could help.

wendle
20-02-2013, 08:37 PM

Aww sorry u lost your bunny how old was he and was he poorly :cry:

avjones1704
20-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Rabbits are very sociable and ideally need a friend in bunny form to have a truly happy life. Unless of course they are living inside with a lot of one on one human interaction. I had a bunny who lived until he was 12.5 so really they can live as long as some dogs etc. do you have a run attached to the hutch? The RSPCA recommend a minimum of 6ftx2ft hutch with a 6ftx4ft run attached for one or two bunnies... With a rescue you will get a lot of advice, back up and a neutered bunny. They have so many ages that if you did want a younger one, I am sure they could help.

As I'm a university student I spend a lot of time in my room revising/writing essays so I just let him run around my room whenever I was in as he was litter trained and absolutely no hassle :)

Which ever rabbit I get will be an indoor rabbit. I have just spoken to my mum about a dog crate; as she has one which the dog refuses to go in! SO I am thinking about trying to connect that up to the hutch that I have so they have more space to round around when I'm in university; but that will only ever be for 2/3 hours at a time at the most!

avjones1704
20-02-2013, 08:53 PM
Aww sorry u lost your bunny how old was he and was he poorly :cry:

It was very sad and happened very suddenly! I was told he was 1 when I got him in January; however, the vets believed that he was around the age of 5/6.

There were absolutely no symptoms, he had been running around all day, binkying everywhere as usual! had eaten all his food, had his treats, drank, wee'd and poo'd and had been playing with me all day! I then put him in his hutch at around midnight. I then woke up at 7am to find him dead where is always sleeps in his hidey hole! The vets suggested that it was probably a heart attack as physically he was fine.

rabbitapril
20-02-2013, 08:53 PM
So many unwanted animals have ended up in rescues and so many waiting to be rescued:(

So many breeders making a few pounds from producing more rabbits that will potentially become unwanted. :roll:

Taking a bunny from a rescue means its personality has already been assessed. The bunny would also have been neutered and vaccinated.:)

I cant understand why anyone would want to buy from a breeder. A Breeder is not some one with a certificate or any other qualifications:roll: they are simply someone that puts two rabbits together and lets them mate.

I do apoligise to any 'good' breeders out there but your 'profession' is tarnished by the back yard breeders.

wendle
20-02-2013, 08:54 PM
It was very sad and happened very suddenly! I was told he was 1 when I got him in January; however, the vets believed that he was around the age of 5/6.

There were absolutely no symptoms, he had been running around all day, binkying everywhere as usual! had eaten all his food, had his treats, drank, wee'd and poo'd and had been playing with me all day! I then put him in his hutch at around midnight. I then woke up at 7am to find him dead where is always sleeps in his hidey hole! The vets suggested that it was probably a heart attack as physically he was fine.

Aww so sorry Binky free little bunny :cry:

avjones1704
20-02-2013, 08:56 PM
So many unwanted animals have ended up in rescues and so many waiting to be rescued:(

So many breeders making a few pounds from producing more rabbits that will potentially become unwanted. :roll:

Taking a bunny from a rescue means its personality has already been assessed. The bunny would also have been neutered and vaccinated.:)

I cant understand why anyone would want to buy from a breeder. A Breeder is not some one with a certificate or any other qualifications:roll: they are simply someone that puts two rabbits together and lets them mate.

I do apoligise to any 'good' breeders out there but your 'profession' is tarnished by the back yard breeders.

I definitely agree after my research over the last few hours! I visited a few breeders and they wanted a large sum for a rabbit who was quite frankly malnourished! I wanted to buy them all just to save them! none of them had ever been handled and were all incredibly shy! Also when I asked questions about their age etc they were very vague!!

avjones1704
20-02-2013, 08:58 PM
How do I go about attempting to get a bunny run?

I have found this one; who seems perfect:

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=31329

If newcastle was too far to get him; if we could get him to Halifax I could get my mum to take him in and persuade her to bring him the rest of the way!

batmobile
20-02-2013, 08:59 PM
As I'm a university student I spend a lot of time in my room revising/writing essays so I just let him run around my room whenever I was in as he was litter trained and absolutely no hassle :)

Which ever rabbit I get will be an indoor rabbit. I have just spoken to my mum about a dog crate; as she has one which the dog refuses to go in! SO I am thinking about trying to connect that up to the hutch that I have so they have more space to round around when I'm in university; but that will only ever be for 2/3 hours at a time at the most!

Sounds brilliant. Now to find you the perfect rescue bun! ;) Sorry for your loss, too, it can happen so suddenly, at any age. I lost one of mine to a stoat which was horrendous and one to a suspected heartattack. :( Never easy but once you have loved a bun, it's hard not to want another! (I have 11 rescue buns of all shapes and sizes!!!)

Snowytoshi
20-02-2013, 09:00 PM
thanks guys! I hadn't thought of rescue!

Although I am a bit wary about rescue, I got a little netherland dwarf off a person on gumtree. I got rather attached; however, it transpired that he wasn't 1 (as they told me) he was actually around 5 (the vet guessed). Last week I found him dead and was rather traumatised! However, I'm sure if I could find a reliable rescue that may be good!

I'm not too bothered what colour they are; however, I would like one that is happy living on their own as I don't have a massive hutch and wouldn't like them to be squashed up together!!

If you get him from a rescue and not gumtree, the rescue will give relaible information about personaility, medical history, etc. You will be able to meet several different rabbits and choose which one is right for you :thumb:

batmobile
20-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Contact the rescue at the bottom of the description and have a chat with them. They will be able to sort out a homecheck and stuff for you. :D

avjones1704
20-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Sounds brilliant. Now to find you the perfect rescue bun! ;) Sorry for your loss, too, it can happen so suddenly, at any age. I lost one of mine to a stoat which was horrendous and one to a suspected heartattack. :( Never easy but once you have loved a bun, it's hard not to want another! (I have 11 rescue buns of all shapes and sizes!!!)

They are absolutely adorable! My boyfriend has a french lop who is literally like a dog, he's so cute! But I'm definitely a sucker for little nethies and can't wait to have another one to keep me company whilst writing essays about land law! He definitely made the whole thing more entertaining!

el1983
20-02-2013, 09:05 PM
How do I go about attempting to get a bunny run?

I have found this one; who seems perfect:

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=31329

If newcastle was too far to get him; if we could get him to Halifax I could get my mum to take him in and persuade her to bring him the rest of the way!

He is gorgeous!!!!!! Keep us posted if you get him :thumb:

el1983
20-02-2013, 09:07 PM

Thats awful!!!!! What is a stoat? Is it like a weasal thing?

avjones1704
20-02-2013, 09:11 PM
He is gorgeous!!!!!! Keep us posted if you get him :thumb:

I've rang and left a message so will hopefully find out soon!

Lea-Anne
20-02-2013, 09:12 PM
So sorry for your loss. Sounds like you did nothing wrong and could have been a heart attack. Just one of those things.

If you are interested in my bun Chips we could sort a bunny run. Her owner is moving to a boat and can longer keep her. She is definitely a nethie. Contact me via Private Message xx

el1983
20-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Exciting!!!!

batmobile
20-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Thats awful!!!!! What is a stoat? Is it like a weasal thing?

Exactly like a weasel. Amazing creatures, but sadly nature is cruel. Was a huge shock.

avjones1704
20-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Exactly like a weasel. Amazing creatures, but sadly nature is cruel. Was a huge shock.

Its when it is a shock I think its even worse! as you're not only dealing with the grief but the shock too!

el1983
20-02-2013, 09:24 PM

How sad :cry:

catxx
20-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Its when it is a shock I think its even worse! as you're not only dealing with the grief but the shock too!

So sorry to hear about the sudden loss of your old bunny. Just out of interest, was he vaccinated for VHD? That's one of the things that can kill bunnies very quickly and suddenly!

Good luck getting your new bun!

avjones1704
20-02-2013, 09:43 PM
So sorry to hear about the sudden loss of your old bunny. Just out of interest, was he vaccinated for VHD? That's one of the things that can kill bunnies very quickly and suddenly!

Good luck getting your new bun!

to be honest with you I'm not 100% I had only got him on the 8th January and he died on the 14th February! I knew he was neutered and I had the intention to get him checked at the vets once I had found one which had good feedback from other rabbit owners!

avjones1704
21-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Hi guys,

A lot of the rescue centres which I have spoke to have advised me that even though I want the rabbit to be an indoor rabbit, they won't let me adopt just one and that I have to either take them in pairs or already have one.

Is it cruel to just have the one? He/she would literally be with me for 21 hours of the day minimum on most days and for the days I was really busy my boyfriend or sister would happily sit with them to keep them company.

The other option is that my boyfriend has a neutered male french lop, so we could try and introduce them together but should I still keep them in separate hutches? As I do ideally want a smaller rabbit and I would be worried he would hurt him and Oliver is pretty big!

Thanks for you help again!!

The Duchess
21-02-2013, 09:19 AM
It is never a good idea to have just one bunny for many reasons, although some do okay on their own. It is not ideal.

A human, despite being able to be company for a single rabbit will not be the same as another rabbit. Rabbits need to have company of their own kind, they need to have the security of companionship, not to mention that they need to be groomed. A pair of rabbits will help groom in places they can't reach themselves. (eyes, tail, neck) and you can 't do that unless you are prepared to lick! No rescue worth it's salt will rehome a single bunny unless there is a medical or behavioural reason why it won't bond.

Some rabbits will not bond and you may find a rescue that has a single unbondable rabbit who MAY be prepared to rehome singly. I have seen them on Rabbitrehome in the past so they are available.

Trying to have bunny play dates with your rabbit and that of your friend is a very bad idea. it would totally confuse the rabbits. Apart from being cruel in my opinion to let rabbits spend time together only to split them repeatedly, you may well find that they would seriously injure each other. Rabbits will bond, normally for life and that is what each one deserves.

While you are going through your thought processes for finding a bunny - please do try to think like a rabbit rather than a human. Think about what they need to be healthy and happy - a friend is very important here. That way you will have rabbits (as you will need to have two for happy rabbits in 99% of cases) that are happy and healthy. Being blunt, put the rabbits needs first over your own.

If you can't offer rabbits (or unbondable single rabbit) what they need, then maybe it would be better not to have one just at the moment? Pairs will be happier, but will need lots of room (no more than a single so if you can provide enough room for a single you should be able to accommodate a pair). Is there a reason why you are only looking for one? If you don't think you can afford a pair, then you can't afford bunnies - an emergency vet appointment could be as much as 150 before you walk through the door so that's something else to consider - insurance would be a good idea. Sorry to go off topic but this is all important stuff to consider.

Sorry to be so blunt, but if you don't get it right now, you may regret your decision later. I hope you are able to have a pair from a rescue as that would be fantastic, and remember please that if rescues say no, then there may be a very genuine reason why they have - but work with them to get it right and you will have happy bunnies.

mollyjoker
21-02-2013, 09:46 AM
Hi guys,

A lot of the rescue centres which I have spoke to have advised me that even though I want the rabbit to be an indoor rabbit, they won't let me adopt just one and that I have to either take them in pairs or already have one.

Is it cruel to just have the one? He/she would literally be with me for 21 hours of the day minimum on most days and for the days I was really busy my boyfriend or sister would happily sit with them to keep them company.

The other option is that my boyfriend has a neutered male french lop, so we could try and introduce them together but should I still keep them in separate hutches? As I do ideally want a smaller rabbit and I would be worried he would hurt him and Oliver is pretty big!

Thanks for you help again!!

If you get a bunny from a rescue they will be neutered.A bonded pair from a rescue would be the ideal solution.Best of Luck everyone is here to help.

avjones1704
21-02-2013, 09:50 AM
It is never a good idea to have just one bunny for many reasons, although some do okay on their own. It is not ideal.

A human, despite being able to be company for a single rabbit will not be the same as another rabbit. Rabbits need to have company of their own kind, they need to have the security of companionship, not to mention that they need to be groomed. A pair of rabbits will help groom in places they can't reach themselves. (eyes, tail, neck) and you can 't do that unless you are prepared to lick! No rescue worth it's salt will rehome a single bunny unless there is a medical or behavioural reason why it won't bond.

Some rabbits will not bond and you may find a rescue that has a single unbondable rabbit who MAY be prepared to rehome singly. I have seen them on Rabbitrehome in the past so they are available.

Trying to have bunny play dates with your rabbit and that of your friend is a very bad idea. it would totally confuse the rabbits. Apart from being cruel in my opinion to let rabbits spend time together only to split them repeatedly, you may well find that they would seriously injure each other. Rabbits will bond, normally for life and that is what each one deserves.

While you are going through your thought processes for finding a bunny - please do try to think like a rabbit rather than a human. Think about what they need to be healthy and happy - a friend is very important here. That way you will have rabbits (as you will need to have two for happy rabbits in 99% of cases) that are happy and healthy. Being blunt, put the rabbits needs first over your own.

If you can't offer rabbits (or unbondable single rabbit) what they need, then maybe it would be better not to have one just at the moment? Pairs will be happier, but will need lots of room (no more than a single so if you can provide enough room for a single you should be able to accommodate a pair). Is there a reason why you are only looking for one? If you don't think you can afford a pair, then you can't afford bunnies - an emergency vet appointment could be as much as 150 before you walk through the door so that's something else to consider - insurance would be a good idea. Sorry to go off topic but this is all important stuff to consider.

Sorry to be so blunt, but if you don't get it right now, you may regret your decision later. I hope you are able to have a pair from a rescue as that would be fantastic, and remember please that if rescues say no, then there may be a very genuine reason why they have - but work with them to get it right and you will have happy bunnies.

It's not that I can't afford or have enough space for 2; however, I have been told having two means that they are much more hostile towards humans. I want the rabbit to be as happy as possible but I still want them to be pets. I will consider looking at two. I guess I just need to find a balance between a happy bunny and a friendly bunny! the last thing I want is one that will bite me all the time

elmoandfern
21-02-2013, 09:54 AM
It's not that I can't afford or have enough space for 2; however, I have been told having two means that they are much more hostile towards humans. I want the rabbit to be as happy as possible but I still want them to be pets. I will consider looking at two. I guess I just need to find a balance between a happy bunny and a friendly bunny! the last thing I want is one that will bite me all the time

I originally had one bunny (Elmo) and I was desperate for 2 as I knew he needed/wanted company but my OH was reluctant as he said Elmo would bond with the new bun and not love us as much. Eventually he came around and we got a second bunny, twix, they were totally in love and were always together but he did still love us. When twix passed away he was heartbroken and it was so clear to see that no amountof love we gave him made up for losing his bunny love (enter fern). Fern hated human contact and grunted and lunged at everyone but Elmo taught her to trust and they are now both lovely friendly bunnies, who also benefit from the love of each other. Sorry this is so rambling but what I'm trying to sayis that your bunny will be less dependant on you with a partner, but will still love you and be affectionate. I don't want to sound mean but I think it is selfish to keep a rabbit on its own because you want all it's affections.

Fellie
21-02-2013, 10:04 AM

We got Bobo last year in February and after much thinking and worrying about exactly this - would he still love us and want to be with us - we put his needs first and eventually bonded him with Harley...and he is SO happy now...he does tend to ignore us Hoomans but he still enjoys his nose rubs and head rubs from us - and still 'purrs' when in the mood. He's hasn't changed - he just doesn't 'need' us that much anymore which is fine because he is happy now. Harley has never been a human bunny and was getting very depressed just before we bonded - and now is just so enjoying being with her man - but we can still stroke her from time to time and I've even got some purrs out of her on occassion which didn't happen before bonding.

We've got two other single bunnies - Holly and Sheldon - and we have great fun with them when they are free-roaming and Holly in particular is very friendly and loving - but once Sheldon is neutered and his hormones have died down we will bond them and fully expect to have less attention from them as they will have each oher - we will get our joy from watching two happy pairs enjoying life to the max.

I would seriously consider two - humans cannot be a bunny substitute...they need other bunnies to be really happy.

The Duchess
21-02-2013, 10:04 AM

But you may get that with any bunny and each one has to be judged on his or her own merits. That's what I mean by thinking like a rabbit and not a human, put their needs first - and you should have happy rabbits. Even if you got a single bunny there is no assurance that they will be your best friend. Some will become reliant on you but that is not really the best way forward as what happens when you are no longer there so much or have to go out? A single bunny might have separation anxiety just like a dog.

Even with pairs you can get happy friendly, human focused characters. I have a pair here that love humans and where both come bounding over for attention. But I have singles who are not bothered by humans at all. It's all down to the individual.

So I would advocate going to meet any bunnies you are interested in adopting to see what they are like and if they fit in with your way of life - you could find an amazing pair, whereas singles are harder to come by. in rescue generally due to them being wanted by people to bond with their existing.

And I'd recommend more mature rabbits too - that way their personalities will be more 'set', getting very young rabbits means you won't know what you are taking on if they have yet to mature.

Buying will almost certainly mean babies or younger bunnies and you would then have absolutely no way to know what your bunnies would be like further down the line (after neutering and spaying). Hormones can be very strange things, but personalities are set in genes and previous handling.

Good luck, I'm sure there is a pair out there with your name on them. I believe we always get the bunnies we are meant to have.

bethepoet
21-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Would just like to say that I keep a single rabbit, as do others on the forum. I plan to get a friend when my partner and I go back to work, but right now it isn't practical and she is happy. It isn't always cruel.

Having said that I also have a bonded pair - much more independent of us but still friendly and affectionate.

Bluesmum
21-02-2013, 10:21 AM

My girly Marnie has been both a single and a wife...and to be honest...there isn't much difference in her human love levels if you know what I mean. She is a licky snuggle bu. It entirely depends on the buns temperment. Go and meet some and see who picks you.

Hesperus
21-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Would just like to say that I keep a single rabbit, as do others on the forum. I plan to get a friend when my partner and I go back to work, but right now it isn't practical and she is happy. It isn't always cruel.

Having said that I also have a bonded pair - much more independent of us but still friendly and affectionate.

:thumb:

I agree, there a few of us on here who have singles.

I work from home and Ludo lives in my combined office/living room so I know he's got company nearly all of the time and I can see he's happy. If I ever have the misfortune to have to work away from home (:evil:no one will separate me and my bun) then I'll get him a wife.

The Duchess
21-02-2013, 11:16 AM

I don't think anybody would say keeping a rabbit on its own is cruel; not loving it, not feeding it properly, not cleaning it out, not taking it to the vets when it clearly needs it - that would be considered cruel.

Having a single bunny can be okay in the right circumstances but it's just that they are much better in pairs or groups unless there is a medical or behavioural situation that suggests that it wouldn't be wise. I myself have some rescue bunnies who are currently on their own - I don't consider this to be cruel, but just the best thing in their particular circumstances at the moment - but I wish they could ALL have friends.

avjones1704
21-02-2013, 12:28 PM
I don't think anybody would say keeping a rabbit on its own is cruel; not loving it, not feeding it properly, not cleaning it out, not taking it to the vets when it clearly needs it - that would be considered cruel.

Having a single bunny can be okay in the right circumstances but it's just that they are much better in pairs or groups unless there is a medical or behavioural situation that suggests that it wouldn't be wise. I myself have some rescue bunnies who are currently on their own - I don't consider this to be cruel, but just the best thing in their particular circumstances at the moment - but I wish they could ALL have friends.

I'm going to a rescue centre at the weekend with the intention to get a little pair :) Seeing as though I want netherand dwarfs I should still have plenty of space and letting them have a rabbit friend should be nice :) Not sure I quite want to attempt to bond two buns together on my own yet though!

Kittykat23uk
21-02-2013, 12:41 PM

LOL! I hve have two pairs and three single bunnies at various times in my life. All have been very friendly towards me! With my current pair, Sprocket, my dwarf lop, literally follows us ever time we go in the kitchen. When I am working at home he jumps on the sofa and his little eyes drill into my back as he waits patiently for me to get up and give him a treat! Widget, his wife bun, is the most licky bun ever towards people, but is a bit of a bully towards poor Sprocket. but when they aren't hounding me for treats, they cuddle up togther.

As long as you find a rescue that has well-socialised bunnies you should be okay on that front. But one thing to be aware of is that if your BF already has a rabbit and you get a pair you might need to keep them completely separate. We tied to introduce two bunnies to our pair and it was a disaster. Sometimes just the smell of another rabbit can set one member of an otherwise happy pair off!

Hope you find some bun to love at the rescue when you visit. :)

avjones1704
21-02-2013, 12:46 PM
LOL! I hve have two pairs and three single bunnies at various times in my life. All have been very friendly towards me! With my current pair, Sprocket, my dwarf lop, literally follows us ever time we go in the kitchen. When I am working at home he jumps on the sofa and his little eyes drill into my back as he waits patiently for me to get up and give him a treat! Widget, his wife bun, is the most licky bun ever towards people, but is a bit of a bully towards poor Sprocket. but when they aren't hounding me for treats, they cuddle up togther.

As long as you find a rescue that has well-socialised bunnies you should be okay on that front. But one thing to be aware of is that if your BF already has a rabbit and you get a pair you might need to keep them completely separate. We tied to introduce two bunnies to our pair and it was a disaster. Sometimes just the smell of another rabbit can set one member of an otherwise happy pair off!

Hope you find some bun to love at the rescue when you visit. :)

yeah we'll definitely keep them completely separate it was just an idea to introduce them so they had friends; but I was worried about their size difference anyway as Oliver is very heavy so could easily hurt a dwarf I imagine

elmoandfern
21-02-2013, 01:01 PM
I'm going to a rescue centre at the weekend with the intention to get a little pair :) Seeing as though I want netherand dwarfs I should still have plenty of space and letting them have a rabbit friend should be nice :) Not sure I quite want to attempt to bond two buns together on my own yet though!

That's lovely that you're thinking of getting a pair :) keep us updated!

ripminnie
21-02-2013, 01:27 PM

Yay!! :D good luck!! :thumb: :wave:

SarahP
21-02-2013, 01:33 PM
I had two bunnies, who started off outdoors but ended up indoors. They absolutely adored each other, and used to cuddle up and groom each other constantly. It's a really lovely thing to see. They didn't want human cuddles etc, but they certainly wanted the food I brought! :D

When one died, I couldn't get another bunny, as the other one's health wasn't good enough. I can honestly say that she never bonded with me any more than she had previously by being on her own, and it was sad to see her missing the companionship of another bunny, even though she got a lot of human attention and was never left on her own for long.

You will love having a pair. :)