• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit breeders in Newcastle Upon Tyne

avjones1704

Young Bun
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a Netherland Dwarf rabbit. I have searched all over for Netherland Dwarf breeder's in the area; however, I am struggling to find one who has healthy and well cared for rabbits!

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Alicia

I am sure you will find what you are looking for from a rescue.
There are a few in our area,but if you see a bun somewhere else i am sure the good people on this
forum will sort out a bunny run.
Good Luck keep us informed.

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a Netherland Dwarf rabbit. I have searched all over for Netherland Dwarf breeder's in the area; however, I am struggling to find one who has healthy and well cared for rabbits!

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Alicia

That's because 90% of the time they are just in it for the money. Why not try your local rescues or someone like Honeybunnies....she (and others) rehome all over the country.

Buns from rescues usually come neutered (unless they are too young) and vaccinated so it works out a LOT cheaper in the long run :wave:

I have seen loads of Nethie's in rescues, young, old... I am sure people on here can help you find whatever you like!

I agree, there will be nethies all over the country, in rescues. However, I do know of a breeder in Scotland who breeds nethies, and she might be an option, although preferably look for a rescue bunny.

thanks guys! I hadn't thought of rescue!

Although I am a bit wary about rescue, I got a little netherland dwarf off a person on gumtree. I got rather attached; however, it transpired that he wasn't 1 (as they told me) he was actually around 5 (the vet guessed). Last week I found him dead and was rather traumatised! However, I'm sure if I could find a reliable rescue that may be good!

I'm not too bothered what colour they are; however, I would like one that is happy living on their own as I don't have a massive hutch and wouldn't like them to be squashed up together!!

Lea-Anne chips looks gorgeous! however I'd struggle to get him from Chester as I don't have a car and would have to rely upon a friend to take me there - they don't mind going quite far out but I'd feel bad asking them to go that far! Sorry! otherwise I would have loved him!!

Lea-Anne chips looks gorgeous! however I'd struggle to get him from Chester as I don't have a car and would have to rely upon a friend to take me there - they don't mind going quite far out but I'd feel bad asking them to go that far! Sorry! otherwise I would have loved him!!

A bunny run would be organised to get her to you :thumb:

A bunny run would be organised to get her to you :thumb:

oh! that would be very useful then!

How long is an average netherland rabbits life span? I know this may sound horrible to ask but after losing little Guilliame last week I really don't want to become attached to another rabbit if they're not likely to live for long after!

I only had him for 2 months which is probably why I'm a bit nervous about getting a slightly older one.

Last edited:

How long is an average netherland rabbits life span? I know this may sound horrible to ask but after losing little Guilliame last week I really don't want to become attached to another rabbit if they're not likely to live for long after!

I only had him for 2 months which is probably why I'm a bit nervous about getting a slightly older one.

I have a 10 year old nethie and an 8 year old nethie :)

Rabbits are very sociable and ideally need a friend in bunny form to have a truly happy life. Unless of course they are living inside with a lot of one on one human interaction. I had a bunny who lived until he was 12.5 so really they can live as long as some dogs etc. do you have a run attached to the hutch? The RSPCA recommend a minimum of 6ftx2ft hutch with a 6ftx4ft run attached for one or two bunnies... With a rescue you will get a lot of advice, back up and a neutered bunny. They have so many ages that if you did want a younger one, I am sure they could help.

Aww sorry u lost your bunny how old was he and was he poorly :cry:

Rabbits are very sociable and ideally need a friend in bunny form to have a truly happy life. Unless of course they are living inside with a lot of one on one human interaction. I had a bunny who lived until he was 12.5 so really they can live as long as some dogs etc. do you have a run attached to the hutch? The RSPCA recommend a minimum of 6ftx2ft hutch with a 6ftx4ft run attached for one or two bunnies... With a rescue you will get a lot of advice, back up and a neutered bunny. They have so many ages that if you did want a younger one, I am sure they could help.

As I'm a university student I spend a lot of time in my room revising/writing essays so I just let him run around my room whenever I was in as he was litter trained and absolutely no hassle :)

Which ever rabbit I get will be an indoor rabbit. I have just spoken to my mum about a dog crate; as she has one which the dog refuses to go in! SO I am thinking about trying to connect that up to the hutch that I have so they have more space to round around when I'm in university; but that will only ever be for 2/3 hours at a time at the most!

Aww sorry u lost your bunny how old was he and was he poorly :cry:

It was very sad and happened very suddenly! I was told he was 1 when I got him in January; however, the vets believed that he was around the age of 5/6.

There were absolutely no symptoms, he had been running around all day, binkying everywhere as usual! had eaten all his food, had his treats, drank, wee'd and poo'd and had been playing with me all day! I then put him in his hutch at around midnight. I then woke up at 7am to find him dead where is always sleeps in his hidey hole! The vets suggested that it was probably a heart attack as physically he was fine.

So many unwanted animals have ended up in rescues and so many waiting to be rescued:(

So many breeders making a few pounds from producing more rabbits that will potentially become unwanted. :roll:

Taking a bunny from a rescue means its personality has already been assessed. The bunny would also have been neutered and vaccinated.:)

I cant understand why anyone would want to buy from a breeder. A Breeder is not some one with a certificate or any other qualifications:roll: they are simply someone that puts two rabbits together and lets them mate.

I do apoligise to any 'good' breeders out there but your 'profession' is tarnished by the back yard breeders.

It was very sad and happened very suddenly! I was told he was 1 when I got him in January; however, the vets believed that he was around the age of 5/6.

There were absolutely no symptoms, he had been running around all day, binkying everywhere as usual! had eaten all his food, had his treats, drank, wee'd and poo'd and had been playing with me all day! I then put him in his hutch at around midnight. I then woke up at 7am to find him dead where is always sleeps in his hidey hole! The vets suggested that it was probably a heart attack as physically he was fine.

Aww so sorry Binky free little bunny :cry:

So many unwanted animals have ended up in rescues and so many waiting to be rescued:(

So many breeders making a few pounds from producing more rabbits that will potentially become unwanted. :roll:

Taking a bunny from a rescue means its personality has already been assessed. The bunny would also have been neutered and vaccinated.:)

I cant understand why anyone would want to buy from a breeder. A Breeder is not some one with a certificate or any other qualifications:roll: they are simply someone that puts two rabbits together and lets them mate.

I do apoligise to any 'good' breeders out there but your 'profession' is tarnished by the back yard breeders.

I definitely agree after my research over the last few hours! I visited a few breeders and they wanted a large sum for a rabbit who was quite frankly malnourished! I wanted to buy them all just to save them! none of them had ever been handled and were all incredibly shy! Also when I asked questions about their age etc they were very vague!!

Back