• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit consult costs

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I consider our rabbit consults are expensive, £31 for a first consult. Years ago at the same surgery they used to be a lot cheaper because they were classed as a small animal consult, same as a piggy or hamster. Then they went up a bit and were in a class of their own ie the price was just for a rabbit consult. But in recent years they moved up to the same as a dog or cat consult. So at our vet it is now £31 for rabbit/dog/cat consult.

Part of me thinks :censored: thats expensive, but another part of me is pleased that rabbits are now being considered at the same level as a dog or cat :D After all we have all been pushing for years for rabbits to be regarded as important as dogs and cats, but that also means we have to be happy to pay the same prices!

i was just wondering if other vet surgeries charge the same way now or if other practices still regard them as "small pets"?

I think they're still classed as a small pet at our vets, although Jill would know for certain. I'm sure I only pay around £15-£18 for a consultation, unless they're just cheap and excellent!

I'm not sure if it's classed as just a small animal consult - it just says 'consultation' :lol: we pay £21 but we don't pay a consultation fee if they're having something else done ie Nibbles having his teeth burred or whatever. Another vet in town chargse a consult fee every time! :shock:

I'm not sure if it's classed as just a small animal consult - it just says 'consultation' :lol: we pay £21 but we don't pay a consultation fee if they're having something else done ie Nibbles having his teeth burred or whatever. Another vet in town chargse a consult fee every time! :shock:

No we don't pay a consult if they are going in for a specific thing such as an incisor burr

I don't know the price of cat/dog consultation at either vets I use but I agree that you can't have it both ways of cheaper but expecting rabbits to be regarded as highly as dogs/cats. I think the thing is if the practice charges a high consultation fee (equal to cats/dogs) then they should be capable of being a "rabbit vet", not necessarily an expert but have good knowledge of rabbits and capable of diagnosis/evaluating etc.

I know last time I used my local vets I thought "how much?" as it had gone up quite a bit since I had used them regularly, but then so had the level of attention/care so it felt appropriate - I just hope the "average" rabbit owner thinks so. It would be good to think we really are getting to the stage where rabbits are perceived on the same level as cat and dog and not "a child's pet".

I don't know the price of cat/dog consultation at either vets I use but I agree that you can't have it both ways of cheaper but expecting rabbits to be regarded as highly as dogs/cats. I think the thing is if the practice charges a high consultation fee (equal to cats/dogs) then they should be capable of being a "rabbit vet", not necessarily an expert but have good knowledge of rabbits and capable of diagnosis/evaluating etc.

I know last time I used my local vets I thought "how much?" as it had gone up quite a bit since I had used them regularly, but then so had the level of attention/care so it felt appropriate - I just hope the "average" rabbit owner thinks so. It would be good to think we really are getting to the stage where rabbits are perceived on the same level as cat and dog and not "a child's pet".

It really does seem to be heading that way at our vets at least :D

yes obviously for the price you expect a thorough and knowledgeable consult. I think given how complex rabbits are and how well they can hide symptoms I think paying the same as a dog or cat for a rabbit savvy vet is definitely Ok :)

Consults here are £30 and £35 at the two vets I have used. A bit of a longer drive gets you to a good bunny vet who charges £23 but doesn't do their own out of hours.

My vets charges £33 for initial consult and £18 for follow ups. At my nearest exotic expert vets I was told its £69. :shock:

On a slightly different consult note, David and Feona at FBRC took a rabbit, paid consult etc, and were advised to go back for a check up, they then got charged another consult :shock: surely thats not right?

I'm pretty sure our vet charges bun consults at the same rate as cat/dog ones, around £25/27 but small animals i.e. piggies and buns are charged at £12.00. You do have to make sure you are booked in to see one of the bunny savvy vets though, as not all in the practice are good with buns, or pigs for that matter.

I'm pretty sure our vet charges bun consults at the same rate as cat/dog ones, around £25/27 but small animals i.e. piggies and buns are charged at £12.00. You do have to make sure you are booked in to see one of the bunny savvy vets though, as not all in the practice are good with buns, or pigs for that matter.

Yes, ours tend to book us in with rabbit savvy vets wherever possible but on the visit before the last, wegot a vet who had been scarred by a rabbit :shock: and therefore said she wasn't that keen on handling them. Thankfully mine are super calm when being handled at the vets so hopefully it restored her faith a bit!

Ours is £30 for the initial consult or there abouts. Unless you actually see one of the boss vets, in which case they might be feeling generous.

Last edited:
Rabbit consult for me is £31 and for cat/dog it is £32, small animals such as hammies or gerbils is £35 if I remember correctly. When I took Sorrell for checkups twice a week for his infected ears that had been left untreated for a long time ( :evil: ) the vet didn't charge me, thought that was nice :)

Normally about 12 for a bunny consult, 20 forthe dog I think. Follow up consult charges depend on the vet but for the buns it's the same as the initial which is not bad anyway.

ETA looked it up. The last rabbit consult was last Feb and was 9.27. It's half a consult so double that for dogs.

Last edited:
Back