• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about Bownie

foxy2279

Alpha Buck
My fluff monster Brownie went into statis yesterday. Went to vets and got him gut meds, painkillers, antibotics and recovery food. She rechecked his teeth.

He has been having issues with food and exccess cecals for a while. Has had a GA and has no spurs teeth are all fine.

He now refuses to eat pellets or the hay i had for him (think this is what caused his statis yesterday). He will only eat herbs/forage and meadow hay. I'm so worried about him. He may not be a cuddly bun but he's my fluff monster.

We are going back to the vets on friday if no improvement in his eating and output.

Has anyone got any ideas of things i can suggest looking for that the vet may not think of ? My vets are great and very willing to go the extra mile if needed.

Is he still on gut motility medication ?

Why was he prescribed antibiotics ? Unless there is strong evidence of a bacterial infection antibiotics may actually make gut problems worse.

Has the Vet run any other diagnostics ?

What is his fluid intake and output like ? Any history of bladder sludge ?

No history of bladder sludge.

We have only checked teeth so far.

I was told it was antibotics by the nurse its called Emeprid he's on 0.5 mls 2-3 times a day for two days. He had a injection of gut meds last night.

I gave him some pineapple juice last night on the vets advice. Don't know about water as he is in a bonded pair but they have a water bowl filled twice daily and drink about 400ml from the bottle in their run. Normally wee output is good i use wood clumping litter in their tray which is normally well clumped up at change over times. He has wee'd this morning i just changed the litter tray when he jumped in.

Last edited:
Emeprid is not an antibiotic, it is a gut motility drug also known as Metoclopramide

Pineapple Juice is really not likely to be of any benefit and the sugar it contains may well add to any gut dysbiosis that is already going on.

Has the Vet commented on his/her findings on abdominal examination ?

Vet said he was slightly bloated and there was no gut sounds. She could not feel any blockage.

He's still not interested in pellets but eating anything else he can get his paws on. He has poo'd and it looked like normal just a bit less.

Vet said he was slightly bloated and there was no gut sounds. She could not feel any blockage.

He's still not interested in pellets but eating anything else he can get his paws on. He has poo'd and it looked like normal just a bit less.

It can take several days for gut motility to return to normal. Is he still receiving regular medication- ie pain relief and emeprid ?

He has metacam because i insisted on it. If its to do with pain i always ask. The injection in my opinion doesn't last long enough.

Just talked to dh we will be taking him back friday reguardless as this has been going on to long and it needs sorting. It's getting to the point that we need to take action for him. If my vet can't help then going to ask for a referal to another one. I Know there is a more rabbit savvy one the other side of town.

Back