• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Back Leg Flicking - What Does It Mean?

egg

Warren Scout
Hi everyone :wave:

I've been wondering for a long time about something so I finally thought I'd ask here.

I know that a flick of the back legs as the rabbit runs away from you is a sign that they are not pleased with you - I get it when I put mine back down if I've had to pick them up. But has anyone noticed the leg flicks for a different reason?

Both my rabbits have a favourite place in the living room where they spend a lot of time lying next to each other or grooming. I've noticed when they run to that place from anywhere else in the room they flick their back legs between 1-3 times when they get there. Surely they can't be annoyed? They both love this particular spot next to the fireplace. Both rabbits do it.

Any ideas what else this flicking could mean? Anyone else noticed their rabbits doing it for reasons other than anger? I'd love to know what they mean by it.

Thanks xx

I always get back leg flicks from Spenser after picking him up. He also does this if one of us goes to pet him when he is not in the mood, or if he in the huff for any reason and we talk nicely to him to try and get into favour.

Harvey does the back leg flick at inappropriate times too, when I can only think he's in a good mood! He often binkies and then runs off flicking his back legs :? I don't know what he means, generally he does it when he's annoyed but he definitely does it for some other unknown reason when he's definitely not annoyed too!

Mine do this when I let them out into garden and grounds wet they hate getting their feet wet :lol:

Harvey does the back leg flick at inappropriate times too, when I can only think he's in a good mood! He often binkies and then runs off flicking his back legs :? I don't know what he means, generally he does it when he's annoyed but he definitely does it for some other unknown reason when he's definitely not annoyed too!

I'm glad someone else has noticed it too! There's definitely another reason for it apart from anger. I think it's a good flick as they always look quite happy when it happens.

Lola does this in disgust when my oh tickles her feet! Poor bun. I have noticed that she has done it at other times.

Thanks for all your opinions :D And thanks natsusakura for the link, that's a great site - I read it religiously after getting my first rabbit and always keep going back to it, but it doesn't mention the leg flicking for anything other than anger/disgust.

It's interesting that it could be they want their legs clean. Mine are house rabbits and their feet are always clean, unless they feel they are not as clean as they would like them to be! Mine always do it when they get to their favourite spot next to the fireplace, so maybe it's like wiping their feet before they get to their favourite place to keep it clean?!

Malteser, house bunny, does it when he gets up to move aafter resting. It looks to us like a warm up or kicking out tight muscles. He does have abnormal skin sensation sobis a bit of an oddity, albeit a very cute one

Nothing to add to the suggestions already made. Just wanted to say what an absolute beauty in your signature 💗

Nothing to add to the suggestions already made. Just wanted to say what an absolute beauty in your signature 💗

I was just going to say the exact same thing!

We haven't had our bun for long, but have seen him flicking his legs while (what we assume is) playing...

I was wondering if you found anything out about this, I know it was a long time ago. Our girl was spayed yesterday and I've noticed her flicking her back legs out just when moving around sometimes when I've not gone near her.

Back