• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Parsnip guinea - possible bladder stone

alisont

Mama Doe
Took Parsnip to the vets last night for his regular dental visit (Parsnip has peg teeth and needs regular dentals as in about every 2-3 weeks)
The vet found the teeth to be in their usual state and sorted those but he was wanting to check Parsnips rear end as that's caused concern on the past visit - Vet suspected a urine infection so gave Parsnip antibiotics and he did perk up.

However vets now said he's felt a bladder stone tonight and is now saying about possible surgery but there are concerns with Parsnips general decline in health - vets said about moving to a low calcium diet but is thinking long term that surgery is what he feels is the right option.

Vet wants to try antibiotics but wants me to have a think about surgery option.

Parsnip has not had an X-ray as yet but vet has felt a stone tonight and says he thinks surgery is the best option. He wants me to reduce calcium in the diet and use the antibiotics over the next week then will see where we go. I presume an X-ray would be the next step.

I was a bit I shock as I thought we had just gone for the routine dental visit tonight.

Poor old Parsnip - this is not what he needs at a couple of months off 5 years old.

the idea of GA and older guineas always fills me with dread.

I've phoned the vets today and my vet will ring me tomorrow as I want to ask for an X-ray to give a better idea of what we are dealing with.

At the moment I'm thinking against surgery - my gut feeling is he's not strong enough - he's nearly 5 and has dental issues as in peg teeth and needs the teeth filing down every 2 weeks, I feel bad enough putting him through that. I just don't know if I can put him through surgery - and more so the recovery spell, if I can alter diet and monitor him and use pain relief I'd like to keep him going as long as I can. But I'd not want him to suffer, that's for sure.

There is also his brother Melvin to consider he's a very chunky guinea only health issue is fatty lumps but those don't bother him. He would be lost without Parsnip they are so close.

My other concern is the after care and recovery - I'm out weekdays from 8-5/5.30 which worries me, as I presume he would need a lot of care.

Such a big thing to have to decide on - I do want the best for him but if I can get him xrayed that will be a good starting point so the vet can see what the situation is. They will hate being at the vets all day but you have to drop off before work and collect after with our vets.

Dear me - this is all very stressful:(

I don't have any advice but sending Parsnip all my best wishes. Toots has had a uretha stone which the vet could squeeze out without a GA fortunately. However, knowing how painful stones can be, I wouldn't rule out surgery. How piggy-savvy is your vet? My vet is quite well known in piggy circles and I would highly recommend seeing him - even if it's only a telephone consultation. It's Simon Maddock at the Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic in Northampton. He has a LOT of experience of piggy surgery.

Does your vet do x rays without anaesthetic? So few do round these parts. :( This has been a huge problem to me.

To be honest, if you trust your vet, I'd just go with their advice on this one. Bladder stones can come back, but they are especially dangerous for boars, which you probably know.

Do you have hard water there? It's really hard here, so my bladder sludge pig has Deeside bottled water, which is the lowest calcium one on sale, as well as exactly the same veg per day, only a small amount of dried food etc (I feed the Supreme Vet Care Plus food these days).

Thanks we do have hard water here I've been using the filtered water but will look for Deeside thanks.

I need to see if the vet will do awake X-ray, I'm guessing it would be a sedated one but having said that my vet does dentals without sedation , but he's the only vet there who does.

He's an exotics vet and was great with my rabbit Leo when he was alive and being treated there for URI's and then cancer/palliative care. He did say he's more bunny savvy than guinea savvy. Parsnip goes every 2-3 weeks for tooth filing/checks and that's all without sedation.

I wish I could get to Simon Maddock or a rodentologist and do know of Simon but its too far, I don't drive and its too far to consider by train for Parsnip.

I have not ruled out surgery if its the best option but I've got to consider Parsnips age and current health which is that he's a pretty old guinea who's lost weight and is a dental pig. I am aware of how serious bladder stones are for boars and how painful they can be.

It does worry me how much I'm out with work to for the aftercare and observations post op.

Will see if the vet will do an X-ray and take it from there,

Seriously wish I had the space in my room to have the boys in here with me for closer monitoring,but I've already got 1 guinea cage and 3 hamster cages in here and can't get another one in.

Back