• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded rabbit vet trips.

I<3Rabbits

Mama Doe
I know many people have bonded rabbits. What do you do when one has to go in for a operation and maybe stay the day or night(s)?

They say thats its preferable to have them together but i daresay thats. problem if theres a trio or quad. Again though i think its dependent on the procedure and vet.. Someone more experience my be able to advise.

good luck!,

Fee xx

Mine will always go together, even my trios.

For any of mine to be split from their friends/siblings would be too stressful for them.

Edited to add: I'm lucky as my vets can accommodate groups - they turn one of their small rooms into a bunny room.

Mine haven't had to have an operation they must have been away from each other for an hour maybe a couple of hours while vet looked at Bee gave x rays etc and also while he was seperated to get poo sample and then vet kept them both in overnight for 2 nights just so they didn't have to be seperated. As it turns out this helped vet diagnose Bee because Bee was better with Bumble. I hope to god if anything ever happens again if I get a new pair that they can stay together like before

mine always go together, when they spent the week in cambridge they needed to observe her in put and output but I insisted that they stay together so they put them in a large dog pen with a mesh panel down the middle :)

Some people keep their rabbits together for comfort but the new environment and one rabbit most likely being in pain can cause the bond to break, mine go off by themselves but I've gotten them used to spending fairly short periods of time apart incase of situations where they have to be separated, so yeah they're all used to it, are completely fine by themselves and go back with their group no problem :)

Mine always go together and when parsley had to stay in for 5 days in January violet stayed with him

When my trio of girls were spayed, Pansy ended up with a post-spay hernia a few days later. She had to have another op to sort it out. All three girls went back to the vets together. Pansy had the op and was kept separate from her sisters (but still near to them in the next cage) just while she recovered from the GA. Once she had fully woken up and was up and about she was reunited with her two sisters.

My vet won't let the well bunny stay with it's ill friend :( he says
A) they don't have space
B) there is a risk of the well bunny catching something while it is there, in other words they will only have sick bunnies as in patients.
I don't agree with their policy at all, but i don't have much option, as they are the best vets I've found in my area :(

Back