• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weight loss and dental probs :-(.

Mattie_G

Mama Doe
Just got back from vets as wanted regular check up and also D has lost weight.
Was not underwent but it was a lot to lose
We weighed him. he was 5.8kg was 7.2kg 10 months ago. Vet said he is not underwent but it was a lot to lose. All other exams fine except she couldnt see bottom bback teeth so couldn't rule out possibility of dental probs there. We discussed feeds and said i give one handful of pellets morning and evening and then lots of hay.also some veg but trying to limit it. There is not much grass due to winter sky wonder if that has something to do it. he is due back in march so will weigh him weekly and if it drops more will get him back there. also upping their hay and pellets.

Falon has gained from 3.8 to 4.6 - but she is nearly one now so still growing. she does have slight spurs and so will have to monitor that.

i am a bit scared ... tucked them up snug with extra pellets ...

Any advice appreciated as always.

If D is now at a healthy weight, albeit lower, then I would just weigh him every couple of days and see if he is maintaining it. He must have been considerably overweight before if the Vet says his lower weight is not 'too thin'.

I would only increase his pellets if he is still losing weight. Otherwise he may reduce his hay intake and then be more likely to require Dental treatment.

Sorry, I don't know your buns but are they bonded? If so I am assuming it was in the last few months as you say Falon is only a year. If my assumptions are right could it be that Falon is getting a bigger share of food than D?

Just ignore me if I've got things completely wrong :lol:

Its really hard knowing when you have a big bunny. Bandit is the biggest bunny I have and he is nearly 4 kilos. I really thought I had been over feeding him as he is a greedy bunny and am rather generous with pellets and crunchies etc. :oops: When I was at the vets two weeks ago I was expecting he had put on quite a bit of weight but he was the same weight since I have had him. Most likely he looks bigger as he has been outdoors since September and has a thicker winter coat.

Ask the vet what they think his ideal weight should be. If I remember rightly D is a giant/conti.

Hope you manage to sort it.

Hi guys. thanks for replies.

I have upper hay and only upped pellets a bit (as vet recommended - but heeding your advice Jane).

Falon came here when she was three months and was bonded with D straight away (he was already done). I think D is a big softy and so laid back it is possible Falon gets more ... although D always seems to get there first. Also when I give them treats, Falon gets less than D'Argo.

Yes D is a conti giant. vet did't know that would be ideal. She said he wasn't fat before .... at his last check up about 6 months ago, I asked if his weight was ok and she said yes.

I know they graze all day on the grass and over last few months there has been a lot less ...but he certainly dives into his meals .m. i just took them out some more hay and he let on it.

If his mouth hurt would he eat so much?

Back