• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

decrease in the quality of megazorb?

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
has anyone else noticed? the last two bags we got have been so dusty, making me and o/h cough alot!

i have just been reading on the piggy forum that someone emailed them and got told:

'The problems you describe are the main reason why we do not recommend Megazorb for small pet use. The product currently, while being a little dustier than you are used to, would be perfectly acceptable in a stable environment. In order to produce a product that would be suitable for small pets the bedding would need to be subjected to much tighter screening controls to remove additional dust and any larger pieces of bedding/wood.

We appreciate that many small pet owners do choose to use Megazorb as it represents such excellent value for money in the 85 litre bags, but we must stress that we cannot guarantee the product’s suitability for such small animals and we always advise caution in use.

I can confirm that we do produce a version of Megazorb called Ultra Absorbent Bedding for Burgess Pet Care. This particular product has undergone the necessary screening for small pets and is available for purchase from a number of retailers on line. This might be an alternative worth pursuing?'

i hope they don't mind me copying this.

i never knew that the ultra absorbent bedding was megazorb! :shock: it works out alot more i know.

with it being so bad, i'm thinking of trying something else for bisc and matts litter trays. maybe fitch? i've heard it's good. has anyone tried it? :wave:

I always put my megazorb from the bag to storage bin outside as I've always found it dusty. Not noticed an increase with the latest bag though

That's why I have always used aubiose, as it is dust free. I tried megazorb once, and it was soo dusty and smelt awful. I've been using aubiose for 5 years and love it. When aubiose is out of stock, i use hemcore...again dust free and just as absorbant as aubiose. Both draw moisture down to bottom, and locks in odour.

this is why I never use megazorb, I've always found it to be too dusty for use with any small animal.

I find it depends. Some days I get a bag and it's light and fluffy. The heavy bags are always more grainy and dusty. I was told it depended on how the supplier stored the bags. x

I've never used megazorb, I like hemp, it isn't dusty at all and doesn't set me or OH off. Just a tad on the expensive side IMO so we just use newspape and straw.

I've not noticed any difference.

I just use it in the bottom of litter trays and then cover with a thick layer of hay, so the bunnies don't really come into contact with it.......except Roo who is a digger. :roll:

I have had two giant sacks last me nearly a year as I only use it for one bunny. The other two used to kick it everywhere so they have hay instead. I must admit I haven't noticed it is dusty but I haven't opened the new sack that arrived last month.

Explains why it looks identical then if its the same stuff, I bought it once for the hammys why I waited for my megazorb to be delivered as had run out.

I use fitch for my hamsters/gerbils. Its a bit like carefresh only slighly softer.

I've also been using it in Poppys littertray whilst she is indoors as hubby can smell auboise a mile away and hates it. It seems to be pretty absorbant, I've certainly not noticed any upleasent odors.

Hmm, the bags I've had haven't been dusty at all, all ordered from petfeedsuk. Got new bags coming this week so will soon find out! Recently (literally last week) started using Aubiose but have found that is no way near as absorbent as megazorb and there is always wee floating around the litter trays when I tip them out :(

Been using it for years with no issues. It's only in litter trays&I buy 6bags every couple of months. The quality is thevsame as usual as far as I can tell. Hmmmm...

i've got a bag to use up but then i will be switching to fitch bedding. just incase anyone wants an alternative :wave:

Back