• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

8.1/2 is a Very Good Age!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
Took 2 bunnies both 8.1/2 to the Vets last week to be pts. One was my Tamsin a Himalayan Nethie which I bred and the other Billy who came through the Rescue 18 months ago. Tamsin had got very weak at the rear end and Billy wasn't looking too good. He'd been fed chocolate digestive biscuits every day but was in pretty good shape even so.

Tamsin hated being alone so had always had a friend, Billy had spent 7 years all alone at his previous home. So I put them in the same carrier so they could go on their final journey together. Billy hadn't forgotten what to do with a little girl and promptly started to mate Tamsin but they setled down on our way to the Vets.

The Vet thought pts was the best thing to do and said 8.1/2 is a very good age, we don't see many rabbits this age! So sad!

Took 2 bunnies both 8.1/2 to the Vets last week to be pts. One was my Tamsin a Himalayan Nethie which I bred and the other Billy who came through the Rescue 18 months ago. Tamsin had got very weak at the rear end and Billy wasn't looking too good. He'd been fed chocolate digestive biscuits every day but was in pretty good shape even so.

Tamsin hated being alone so had always had a friend, Billy had spent 7 years all alone at his previous home. So I put them in the same carrier so they could go on their final journey together. Billy hadn't forgotten what to do with a little girl and promptly started to mate Tamsin but they setled down on our way to the Vets.

The Vet thought pts was the best thing to do and said 8.1/2 is a very good age, we don't see many rabbits this age! So sad!

:cry:

Must have been so stressful for Tamsin to be mated on her way to be PTS

8.5 is elderly, but I have several Rabbits who are older

All very sad on so many levels

:cry:

Last edited:
Having in mind how fragile rabbits are, I hope and wish everyone's rabbit lives at least 8,5!

Poor bunnies. Binky Free Rabs.

On a totally different note, 8 and a half would be an 'ok' age for my bunnies, but I sure hope to have them for much longer :love: twelve and a half (or older) would be a very good age :D Sky is only a year off 8 and a 1/2 and if I lost him this time next year my world would fall to pieces. If he was REALLY old and I'd had him for so much longer than expected, then death is 'just' the next step. All that said, I can also think of any of my bunnies I would have loved, or love, to get to 8 and a 1/2 because they are not expected to make that or they didn't make that. Imagine if my Wishyone got to 8 and a 1/2!

I think to the public 8 1/2 is ancient for buns! We all know better though ;) 8 1/2 would be a good age for me but older is my aim :love:

My Harry died at 6.5. He was not old in age terms, but his body was old, he had old-age problems and had given up. He was in pain, was suffering, had numerous health issues and it was kinder for him to be pts. So, I think actually it's very subjective as to what a very good age is. I'd have loved him to have lived to 8.5.

Anyway, I'm so sorry to hear about your two buns. I'm glad they were pts peacefully and agree with Jane that this is a sad story.

This is so distressing to read, if you didn't want them anymore you should have sked for a sanctuary place for them, I would have offered immediately, 8 1/2 years old is no age, I have rabbits here that are 11, 12 and 13 years of age

I would also change vets and get one that know what they are doing with rabbits

This is so distressing to read, if you didn't want them anymore you should have sked for a sanctuary place for them, I would have offered immediately, 8 1/2 years old is no age, I have rabbits here that are 11, 12 and 13 years of age

I agree with this. :(

I find the fact that you allowed them to mate on the way to be pts to be really horrible.

I read the op as soon as it was posted but didn't comment as thought I must have miss read it so went out and have come back to it. :?

Obviously I have read it right and am absolutely horrified :cry::cry:

I'm not really sure how you got all that from the first post. :? I didn't see the OP mention that she didn't want them any more or give any details about the vet for anybody to draw the conclusion that she needs a new one.

Could we please be a bit more tactful, let's remember that both these bunnies could well have been very much loved and are now at the bridge. A few people are making a lot of assumptions about a situation they know absolutely nothing about it; don't try to read things into this that aren't there.

I read the op as soon as it was posted but didn't comment as thought I must have miss read it so went out and have come back to it. :?

Obviously I have read it right and am absolutely horrified :cry::cry:

This was exactly what I did, I thought I must be missing something here!

I'm not really sure how you got all that from the first post. :? I didn't see the OP mention that she didn't want them any more or give any details about the vet for anybody to draw the conclusion that she needs a new one.

Could we please be a bit more tactful, let's remember that both these bunnies could well have been very much loved and are now at the bridge. A few people are making a lot of assumptions about a situation they know absolutely nothing about it; don't try to read things into this that aren't there.

I think its because the OP said one of them was in fairly good shape and he clearly was exhibiting normal rabbit behaviour! and the other had some rear end weakness which a lot of us are familiar with and know it's not necessarily something that would result in pts?

Stating the fact that they were on their way to be PTS'd and the one was allowed to hump the other is horrific, the vet clearly doesn't what he/she is doing if they say that 8 1/2 is a good age so now they can be PTS'd

Sorry I can't be nore 'tactful' when I read dreadful stories like this but I am a sanctuary because I CARE about rabbit welfare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back