• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long after neutering...

k1984

Mama Doe
How long after neutering can a rabbit be paired with a spayed female?
My mum asked me today and I had absolutely no idea! Thought you guys could help.

I would say 3 weeks as he can't get the female pregnant so no worry there and it gives time for healing. It also depends on the rabbits their personalities.

As she's spayed, she can't get pregnant, so anything passed a couple of weeks - unless he's hormonal. Then wait 6-8 weeks to give bonding the best chance as his hormones will die down:D

6-8 weeks to give a chance for hormones to fully die down.

Trying before that, gives the possible problem of hormones still and if the bond doesnt work, it then may never work if damage is done, so i'd always wait longer and be on the cautious side to offer the greatest chance of success.

6-8 weeks to give a chance for hormones to fully die down.

Trying before that, gives the possible problem of hormones still and if the bond doesnt work, it then may never work if damage is done, so i'd always wait longer and be on the cautious side to offer the greatest chance of success.

Yep for the sake of a few weeks it is just worth giving it that extra chance of success .

Thank you all :D:thumb:

So do rescues wait about 6 weeks after neutering before offering to rehome/bond?

(Can you tell I've been talking to my mum about Dolly being paired up! She thinks it's sweet that both me and Dolly will be getting married in the same year :lol::lol::lol: )

(Can you tell I've been talking to my mum about Dolly being paired up! She thinks it's sweet that both me and Dolly will be getting married in the same year :lol::lol::lol: )

I do hope you have a lovely honeymoon planned for Dolly :thumb:

(and yourself of course ;))

Thank you all :D:thumb:

So do rescues wait about 6 weeks after neutering before offering to rehome/bond?

Not all - but often they do the bonding & are experienced.

I'm quite hard about bonding - right up until injury:oops::lol: I would give it a whirl within a couple of weeks, but split if the humping was excessive. Sometimes you can put buns together & they stay away from each other & there's no humping at all. Depends on the individuals.:D

Back