• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Issues - Fine for a week, now nipping badly, have separated, help !

Rykat

Mama Doe
Hi all

I need some advice. Before Christmas I was asked if I could help with an indoor lionhead male aged 3 yrs, so I said I'd foster and rehome when I can.

Well he's a cheeky boy, full of character and I, well, ahem, fell in love with him so I decided to try and bond him with my single female Licky (2 yrs) and despite initial signs of her being the dominant one (lots of humping) it then became a case of her climbing up the dog crate in a panic to get away from him.

I've tried it in the bath/carrier, all ok, but when in a pen he starts bullying her and she's scared. I made the decision to listen to her and stopped the bonding.

After a week I tried him and my older female Opal (french x, 5 yrs) and we progressed from him licking her, to a few minor scuffles, her humping him, him moving away, then him nipping her, her nipping him and last night we had a major tiff with them both lying on sides kicking and biting each other. He shook it off, she was stressed by it all so I've put a mesh barrier between them so although they can see/smell/bite noses if they want, they can't lock on in a fight.

My question is what the hell do I do for the best? I refuse to have another single rabbit and since we lost my nethie Daisy a week ago, he parter Attilla is now single.

I've done the textbook/previous tricks with bonding (carrier, bath, neutral territory, small pen, 2 litter trays etc and for a week they were living in a crate with pen attached. Few scuffles but nothing major until last night.

He's a gorgeous bun, full of character, cheeky and would be fantastic as a house bun for someone but on one hand I'm beating myself up about failing him, but on the other I know that initially I was only helping a situation. We've always lived by the "they find us" with rabbits/dogs as they have, and that's why I considered keeping Alfie.

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rykat has tried so hard to make this work. A few days ago they had a scuffle and Archie was following Opal round like a puppy (Rykat's words ;) ) so I thought they had sorted things out but it seems not. I am out of ideas and Archie is such a cutie.

I cant help but just wanted to say I hope that this turns out better and things improve...

Good luck

Fee x

I would have a double mesh so thet can't bite noses. I have a noseless bun, happened before I got him. I took ages for him to get s little bit of fur and it still isn't nice to see. They can do nasty damage between bars. Theybmay not injure the other purposefully either and as the side by side living is to build trust any injuries should be avoided. He sounds like a cutie so I hope it works for you xx

When attempting the bonding are they able to see/hear/smell any other Rabbits ?

Initially Jane they were done outside of the bunny area and then Rykat moved them to their home which does have other buns in the area. How do you bond yours as the set up would not be a million miles away that they are next to each other.

Last edited:
Back