• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting a pair of rescue rabbits

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hello

I am interested in getting another pair of rescue rabbits. I have a few questions:

1. Should I get males, male/female pair or females? I have two spayed female rabbits at the moment, who would be within sight and smelling range of the new rabbits.

2. Their housing could be a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft single storey hutch, with an unattached run of 7ft x 5ft x 2ft which they would be put into every day for 9+ hours. Would this be ok? My current rabbits have this setup, and are very happy. Alternatively, they could have a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft double decker hutch, and the run unattached. Would this be better? The only reason I'm making the run unattached is so that it can be moved around the garden to get fresh grass. If it was attached, the grass would just turn to mud and be unusable.

3. The hutch would be placed on paving stones on grass. Is this stable enough?

pairs - there are plenty of ready made pairs out there so I'd just go for one of them rather than worrying about male/female :thumb:

hutch - most rescues won't pass you for that setup, could you get a runaround to attach the hutch and run? You'd still be able to move it around :thumb:

the run needs to either have mesh around the bottom edges or all mush underneath or be on slabs again around the edges to stop foxes being able to dig in :thumb:

Agree with the above.

I wouldn't rehome to a hutch without an attached run and most of the rescues I am familiar with won't either. Having an attached run allows the rabbits to demonstrate natural behaviour - coming and going as they please rather than waiting to have to be put out. And if you have to put them out, it means they are stuck in the run until they can be put back. Much more natural and less stressful for bunnies to make that choice themselves.

And I don't rehome if the run is on grass unless it has mesh underneath the grass so that makes moving it around impossible so defeats the object of not attaching it.

Your existing rabbits may dislike having any rabbits near them regardless of sex so I'd just choose based on who you would like to offer a home to. What you might want to consider is what if something happens to one of the rabbits in the future - getting a pair of boys may allow a larger bond in the future, but having same sex pairs; they may not be as 'settled' together as a married couple and therefore have referred aggression. I think you will have to choose based on what you see rather than what you think would be better.

Last edited:
Back