• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

twinkle and twiget

oscar1658

Young Bun
hello everyone, i have two rescue rabbits from the shelter i volunteer at - named twinkle and twiglet :) twiglet i was told is a male lionhead/lop mix? around 18 months now who looks like he has his own mustache! he was originally bought from a petshop for a childs toy because he was 'fluffy and cute' the child was then doing all of twiglets care until he reached sexual maturity where then he became too much and instead of the snip they gave him away to the rescue. Then theres twinkle, female english spotted i think who is now 2 years old, her owner had passed away and thats all i know on her. These two are inseperable and spend all day in the garden together laying around. :) i have a few questions about them, first is twiglet who as you can tell by his picture ive uploaded is very hairy, its that bad that it can and does get into his eyes so i tend to trim around his eyes and under his chin were it gets matted abit so i was just wondering what beauty regimes your extra fluffy rabbits get? what do you use and how often? and then twinkles question is about her paws...they are starfish shaped! she came into the shelter with her claws to the side, ive provided a picture to better describe this and i was wondering if anyone can give a good guess to them. Dont worry, i know her claws need a trimming in the picture, the problem lies as her claws dont touch the ground much so dont get worn down at all, thats what i'm doing in the picture and thats twiglets hair surrounding the paw! but yeah i thought the claws would show better the paw shape and snapped a pic before the trim :) if anyone can shed some light on the paws that would be great, thankyou for any replies i get and i look forward to chatting rabbits with you :)
Twinkle.jpg

Twiglet.jpg

twinkleclaws.jpg

Last edited:
What gorgeous buns! :love:

It may be that Twiglet's claws turn out because they've been neglected so long in terms of nail trimming. Once the nails are cut regularly perhaps she will gradually start walking differently and putting more weight on them so that they get worn down. If they're indoor buns I guess there'll be less wear and tear anyway though.

Hopefully someone more helpful will be along soon... :wave:

Ahh possibly deffinatly...i can only think that her previous owner who passed away, couldve had a long illness and never seeked help for twinkle...she was still outdoor back then but maybe didnt get a lot of attention or out of hutch time.... Its come as a suprise as it pops into your head when they probably need a nail trim but everytime i see hers tthey are long, both rabbit's are outdoors with flagstones under their hutch and partially in their play area for wear but her nails dont touch the floor, makes you wonder what her last few months were like at her previous owners :( and thankyou for the bunny complement tinsel and hello guys! :) fruitnandnutcake, your rabbits are gorgeous :D

Last edited:
, first is twiglet who as you can tell by his picture ive uploaded is very hairy, its that bad that it can and does get into his eyes so i tend to trim around his eyes and under his chin were it gets matted abit so i was just wondering what beauty regimes your extra fluffy rabbits get? what do you use and how often? :)
QUOTE]

Gorgeous bunnies :love::love::love:

As you can see, Harley is pretty hairy...but so far I haven't had to trim around her eyes - I just cut out matts when necessary, mainly from behind her ears. She gets brushed every 3rd day or so but I do check her eyes every day to make sure they are not being irritated by her hair. I use a natural bristle brush - one that us hoomans would use - much nicer for them and also a special hooman comb you can get from Boots for hair that tangles easily.

One thing about these hairy bunnies - you must check her bottom everyday - twice if you can - for poops that might be stuck there - this will help to prevent fly-strike - obviously this is a must for all rabbits really but the hairy ones are probably more prone to poops getting stuck on furry butts. I will probably trim Harley around that area in summer just to be on the safe side (a process which she will hate and she will squeal and thump like a little demon :love:)...

A fellow pom pom rabbit owner haha :D for her back end do you trim out a lot or? i the thing that makes it worse is the type of hair its so thin and long isnt it? can be a nightmare :lol: i am really worried about flystrike with him, hes that fluffy you cant find his tail well back there :shock:

Back