• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A bit upset with the Vet!

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
Last week I took Peter to the Vets because his ear looked red and he was holding it in a funny position. By the time we arrived at the Vets said ear was looking much better and Vet looked down it and could see nothing untoward. Peter is a rabbit who will not be handled under any circumstances, and I pointed this out to Vet who reached in to pick him up upon whiich Peter sprang out of his arms onto the floor. So, after cornering him and examining him Vet decided he must have scratched his ear "with those claws" and we came home.

Now today Peter's ear is red again and upon close inspection I notice his claws, which are white, are rather long, so why didn't the Vet offer to clip his claws when I was there? I have now got a rabbit whose claws need clipping and I can't do them and it's not easy to catch him. I suppose the Vet didn't offer to do it because you can't hold him, as he put Peter back into the pet carrier from off the floor before examining his ear.

Never mind, I know a Game Keeper who can hold bunny while I clip his claws. At least I hope he can!

Peter came from a lovely Bangladeshi man along with his wifebun who had kept having babies and was rather frail! Fortunately she has picked up, apart from having to have her incisors out, and is looking good now. She lives with my Jason and they are very happy.

Some pets at home stores will do nail clipping, much cheaper than getting them done at the vets. Or check with dog groomers and see if will clip them.

Mmm, :? If the vet identified a possible cause for the problem you would assume that he / she would try to put it right. prevention better than cure and all that. I'd be miffed too! :?

I personally think the responsibility then lies with the owner to ask, if I'm honest. If the vet has sorted the reason you took him (which would be the ear), then anything prevention related could be initiated by the vet, but if not, the owner should be asking. We are the only ones who can advocate for our animals, so I personally don't think the vet was at fault. No, not ideal, because it would have been helpful for the vet to suggest it be done, but I think this would be the responsibility of any owner, and if there was a reason not to be able to see the nails at that time, then asking if they needed clipping/trimming and if they did, if he would help, would have been the best course of action.

Although, from other people's replies, I'm in a minority with this. :lol:

I personally think the responsibility then lies with the owner to ask, if I'm honest. If the vet has sorted the reason you took him (which would be the ear), then anything prevention related could be initiated by the vet, but if not, the owner should be asking. We are the only ones who can advocate for our animals, so I personally don't think the vet was at fault. No, not ideal, because it would have been helpful for the vet to suggest it be done, but I think this would be the responsibility of any owner, and if there was a reason not to be able to see the nails at that time, then asking if they needed clipping/trimming and if they did, if he would help, would have been the best course of action.

I'm in the minority as well then. The vet might think something like trimming claws is something the owner would want to do for themselves - a lot of people do. I don't, well I would WANT to do it for myself but I'm too scared of hurting them so I ask the vet/nurse to do it. I would actually expect to ask them to do it in those circumstances though. I usually try and coincide a nail clipping with any vet trip so that I don't have to do a second trip and stress the rabbit/incur cost all over again.

To get Doughnut in the carrier I put pellets in or a treat. I keep the carrier out a few days before and get her used to going in and out it. She is hard to catch and don't like stressing her. Could you maybe try that?

To get Doughnut in the carrier I put pellets in or a treat. I keep the carrier out a few days before and get her used to going in and out it. She is hard to catch and don't like stressing her. Could you maybe try that?

But Doughnut looks like an angel :shock:

I generally do a mass nail clip every few months. Only time my vet has ever done is if I've asked while bun was under GA.. I check a buns nails when they come in, then every few months. There was only ever Smirnoff that needed doing regularly - he had a rogue nail that bent round into his foot if I didn't keep on top of it.

I'd just put a date in your diary & do the lot.

Yes, but that's assuming that it's a confident and knowledgeable owner. Some owners get all the info they know from their vets and don't like to butt in! When my vet first met me, he went over bun and did basic husbandry, (we were in for something specific like tonibun) and asked if I knew how to clip nails or would I like him to do them. I said yes, I do them at home, and that was the end of it. He checks them whenever they're in and when he first met Oidhche, he asked about the nails again - possibly because they were black, or because it was a new bun and he didn't know how handleable she was. She was a nightmare but I said I had been clipping them at home and again that was that.

I agree that the owner should do their research and ask, but some people find asking for things in those situations very difficult. And with the number of buns bought in P@H with no thought about welfare, I would hope that they land with a good vet who checks the basics about bunny care. I've lost count of the number of bunnies nails I've clipped when visiting people who have no idea about their rabbit.

Angie said Oidhche had her nails done when she was under GA for her spay. I was tempted to put her under just to trim them the second time. :evil:

It's probably cheating - but if I'm getting a giant neutered I get them to clip nails too. I know I still have to to do them myself, but with fudge (conti), I literally have to lay on my side & "spoon" her - I can't hold her steady & clip her nails on my own:oops:

Vets aren't mind readers....but to be honest, after some of the things you've said about them maybe you need to get a new one?

I get the vet to do Maurices nails for me as he hates having his feet touched due to his injuries...and I won;t manhandle him because of his back. I do Marnies myself.

I get our vet to trim our kids nails - I just don't trust myself and our bunnies are not the easiest to handle (which is probably our fault for not doing it enough:oops:).

I just book them in to have them done when I take them for something else - like getting neutered or vaccinated or general health check.

However - Bobo and Harley have slate tiles in the hutch as flooring and they dig at that quite a bit which does help keep their nails down. Probably do the same for the Sheldon and Holly when we bond them - the tiles are great for hot weather as well - and protects the wooden flooring underneath.

It's quite silly really - I will quite happily pick up cats, and small dogs - administer medication direct into the mouths of even the biggest hound - clip their nails if necessary - but give me rabbit, and I go 'aaaaggh - can't do it!'

A friend of mine lost a beautiful prize-winning bunny when her vet dropped her rabbit.

I would say, if you aren't happy with your vet, find another one. I have been known to shout at my old vet (when he made one of my bunnies scream). It worked like a dream - he never crossed me again.... and I wouldn't suggest you go and do this (without cause), but just remember how stressed bunnies can get, and it's down to you to be "mum" and get the best person you can find to treat your bun.

Yes I would agree that people get lots of good advice from the vet - but they also learn from us.

My vet once told me that to stop my bunny peeing on the sofa, I should put newspaper down....didn't he know that peed on newspaper is the tastiest thing out? He went green when I told him that.:lol:

Bella is getting hers clipped next wk, i dont dare do anything but nip the ends of as they're black, i dont dare touch her back feet because i dont htink she likes them being touched, and they seem quite well worn. Woody has see through nails so i think ill be ok doing his. We only got him sat and his nails are quite long, i thought id let him settle in before i start trying to clip them :thumb:

Back