• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vaccination query

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Mulberry seems to have hit a plateau in her recovery from nodular myxi (she had it in September). She's eating well, going outside, grooming, happy, behaving normally with her partner and vice versa, her fur has regrown etc. But her weight is still quite low (hovers between 2.1 and 2.4kg; used to be 2.47-2.7kgs) and she's still snuffly so still on depocillin every 2-4 days.

Obviously the vet would examine her thoroughly before making a decision about her injection, but I just wondered what the RU thoughts would be. :?

I'm hoping she'll pick up further when the weather warms up. However, the down side to Spring coming is that because it's starting to warm up now, there are more insects starting to appear, plus we have large pools of rain sitting all round the garden which will attract mosquitos. In a way VHD is more of a concern as she must have some myxi immunity from having contracted the nodular version, I'd have thought. That doesn't mean she's fully protected though.

So - RU - help! :wave:

That's a really tricky one. :?

We, and I now think this was a mistake, had Dill vaccinated with the single myxi last year when he seemed quite stable on depocillin every third day. Sadly, two weeks later he started to lose ground so personally I wouldn't vaccinate a snuffly bun of ours again. But our buns don't freerange and we don't have standing water around to attract the mosquitos.

Maybe try and have a good chat with your vet over the pros and cons? We did with Dill and thought that not vaccinating was too risky but now I think I'm more inclined to take that risk than overstress their immune system.

Good luck!

I've just been given echinecea and levimasole to boost Doughnut's immune system since she's been unwell for 5 months. I wonder if you could try something like that alongside the meds. She's also on nystatin and metacam.

I've just been given echinecea and levimasole to boost Doughnut's immune system since she's been unwell for 5 months. I wonder if you could try something like that alongside the meds. She's also on nystatin and metacam.

Thank you both :wave:

Where/how do you get echinecea and levimasole? :?

We give echinacea by feeding dried coneflowers, but some people use drops or powder from capsules bought on the high street.

Another thought - we've switched to feeding SS Mature pellets after a recommendation from GrahamL as it has vitamin C in.

We give echinacea by feeding dried coneflowers, but some people use drops or powder from capsules bought on the high street.

Another thought - we've switched to feeding SS Mature pellets after a recommendation from GrahamL as it has vitamin C in.

Thank you. I do mix Vit C drops in with her pellets most days. :wave:

I'd like to know strengths of capsules/quantities/makes etc (sooooooooo demanding! :oops:)

Thank you. I do mix Vit C drops in with her pellets most days. :wave:

I'd like to know strengths of capsules/quantities/makes etc (sooooooooo demanding! :oops:)

I can't remember but there have been a couple of snuffle bunny threads where it has been discussed. I think thumps_ provided the detail you need! (I was looking for detail too but then heard about the dried coneflower and thought I'd let the buns figure out how much they wanted to eat - but they see it as a treat and hoover up every last scrap!)

Back