• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits not getting on???

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Spudsey lost a claw last night, and due to the amount of blood that she was losing we brought her and Bracken in for the evening to make sure it didn't start bleeding again. Both rabbits were pretty quiet throughout the night (thankfully as in our bedroom), though this morning they were quite active as usual and unfortunately Bracken got a bit of aggro from Spudsey as she was doing her usual chasing, causing him to run away and stamp. As my o/h was still in bed at the time he witnessed this, and is now going on about how I should never have rebonded spudsey with another rabbit because of how she is. Female and wild (hand reared). She is extremely territorial.

This is the third rabbit she has lived with, the first was when she was quite young and they got on fine, the second she was very bossy to and now this is the third one. He did seem less nervous than what BB was with her, but he still makes a consious effort to move out the way when she approaches him. However I have witnessed him laying down in the indoor hutch base with spudsey sitting next to him, and him grooming her this morning. Is it that bad????

My o/h is adamant that I've got it wrong and that she is happier on her own and that I'm inflicting Bracken of a life of domestic abuse. I think there possibly could be a space issue, when they were quite newly bonded I put them back in Spudsey's hutch and run where Bracken appeared to be spending most of his time in the hutch as Spudsey was very terriotorial over the run. They moved back into the bonding run which is in the garage now due to this and also due to the awful weather have stayed there until I manage to repaint the old hutch and run.

I don't know when I'm going to get to do this as the hutch needs drying out in the garage where the rabbits are so its all a bit stressful at the moment, especially with other problems I am having with my cats.

Any advice much appreciated as ever.

Was the claw lost through fighting? If they seem to cohabit fairly well most of the time then I wouldn't worry but it will be more nerve wrecking living with a wildie as their instincts will be much finer honed etc. As you say, he has learned to get out of the way rather the same as we do if we live/wotk with someone who is similar.

Was the claw lost through fighting? If they seem to cohabit fairly well most of the time then I wouldn't worry but it will be more nerve wrecking living with a wildie as their instincts will be much finer honed etc. As you say, he has learned to get out of the way rather the same as we do if we live/wotk with someone who is similar.

No they don't fight, spudsey just chases Bracken and occasionally pulls at his fur but its more aggressive chasing especially around feeding time. I think she lost it whilst clambering over something very fast in her run and jumping down, there are a couple of bricks holding something down which I assume have caused it. She actually did it when I was out there, one minute the next BLOOD!

Thanks for your opinion :)

Back