• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Claw out

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
I know there are plenty of threads regarding this but I just need confirmation :oops: I went out earlier to sort out the rabbits and within a few minutes Spudsey suddenly appeared to have blood all other her front paw. There was literally blood everywhere, seems like she has pulled a claw out though there is a bit still in her paw. we have now brought both buns in for the evening and the blood stopped ages ago. Should I take her to the vets in the morning or should it be ok?

Oooh, sounds painful... i would think going to th ve might be best for infection etc but I am not n expert.

Good luck

Fee xxx

I think we will feel better getting the vet to check it over, she is a very precious little bunny! Did debate about going to the emergency vet earlier as there appeared to be so much blood, but once it stopped we thought we would just bring them in and keep an eye on it.

Someone more experienced will be better placed to advise but ia do hope it gets better.. Poor wee soul...

Someone more experienced will be better placed to advise but ia do hope it gets better.. Poor wee soul...

Thank you :) She seems absolutel fine, she is a hand reared wildie and so very active despite my o/h telling her to rest her paw! :lol:

Aww poor thing.
When Angel had her dew claw ripped off by Parsley I dabbed a bit of flour on it to stop the bleeding, It' wasn't long after her spay so she still had metacam I could give her ( my vet ok'd it and I knew what dose to give)
I popped to the vet the next day just to get it checked over and check there was no break etc.
All was ok :)
And you're wee bun will be ok, maybe just need a little bit of pain killer from the vet for a day or so xxx

Aww poor thing.
When Angel had her dew claw ripped off by Parsley I dabbed a bit of flour on it to stop the bleeding, It' wasn't long after her spay so she still had metacam I could give her ( my vet ok'd it and I knew what dose to give)
I popped to the vet the next day just to get it checked over and check there was no break etc.
All was ok :)
And you're wee bun will be ok, maybe just need a little bit of pain killer from the vet for a day or so xxx

Thanks :) Vets booked for this morning. I checked her paw this morning and you can't tell she has done anything to it its that clean, looks like she had a good clean up throughout the night.

My bridge boy Chester did this. Well, when I say he did it, I did :( he was climbing up at his cage door as I opened it and it came off in the hinge :( I wondered why I suddenly felt water flicking at me as he ran past, looked and it was blood :shock:

The advice the emergency vet gave was just to keep an eye and if he looked like he was getting really sleepy then to bring him in. He was fine, back to his normal self pretty quickly and enjoying extra treats I gave out of guilt!!

My bridge boy Chester did this. Well, when I say he did it, I did :( he was climbing up at his cage door as I opened it and it came off in the hinge :( I wondered why I suddenly felt water flicking at me as he ran past, looked and it was blood :shock:

The advice the emergency vet gave was just to keep an eye and if he looked like he was getting really sleepy then to bring him in. He was fine, back to his normal self pretty quickly and enjoying extra treats I gave out of guilt!!

Ouch!

I still can't believe the amount of blood :shock:

It happens to rabbits all the time don't worry about it, sometimes they do it themselves by accident, sometimes their owners do it by accident. The blood loss is scary but you can put some cornflour on or try hold your finger over until it slows down but yeah it's nothing serious, mine have ripped out nails many times without me noticing (until I go to clip their claws and one's missing), they shouldn't need to see a vet unless they stop eating/drinking but at least you've got some antibiotics :)

Back