• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How Can I Help My Rabbit? (Death Of A Companion)

Hannah49

New Kit
Hi Everyone

I am new here, & after some advice please. On the 30th December one of my beloved male Dutch Rabbits died of old age, he was 6 years old :(. Since then my other male Dutch Rabbit, Blaze seems to be a little depressed & not himself since Happy died. Blaze & Happy never shared a hutch but have lived alongside each other in separate hutches since Blaze arrived 3 1/2 years ago. He is neutered & hasn't lived with other rabbits since getting him.

After some ideas please. Think I will bring Happy's empty hutch back round next to his & see if that perk him up.

Hannah

I would definitely recommend adopting a female bunny to keep him company. If you go to a rescue she'll already be neutered/vaccinated and they will likely bond them for you. You could cut a hole through and attach both your bunnies setups to provide a larger space for your new bonded pair, to save wasting it.

Alternatively if you don't want to get another rabbit, could you bring him inside? A single bunny outside will likely be very lonely and I don't know how he'd perk up if he's used to company. Inside, he gets human companionship so he won't be as lonely.

I'd really recommend getting a female, bonding them and keeping them together rather than another bunny and keeping them separate. It's so adorable to see a couple all loved up and snuggling, and it's much better companionship than having them next door :love:

I think the suggestion of getting a female bunny from rescue is a great one.
Bunnies really thrive with company and it would be lovely for him to have a friend to snuggle up with.
Plus if you combine the two set ups he'll have twice the space :)

Sorry to hear about your loss. I thnk that adopting a spayed doe will be a fab idea... they will be able to snuggle up together and perhaps the rescue could help with bonding advice.

All the very best, theres nothing nicer than seeing wee happy bunny faces, snuggled up together

Fee xx

I would completely agree about a female spayed companion to live together. Every time I have lost a bun, the remaining one has seemed lost and depressed. A new friend always makes the most incredible difference and makes them so much happier. In fact I have a single lady who lost her friend recently and I am taking her to a rescue this weekend to be bonded :D I cannot wait to see her hopping around and snuggling with her new friend :love:

Back