• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

:( update

Baildon bears

Warren Scout
My friend came around today really upset, one of her 6month old mini lop rabbits has died in the night :(. Rabbit had seemed fine the day before, she did say she has been bringing them in when it gets really cold outside and i thought the change in temp may not of helped. I went round to have a look and the only thing i noticed was his bits were very large. I know its hard to say why, they were booked in too be neutered on monday and they are both boys from the same litter. Any advice for my friend would be great, as i am no expert.

Last edited:
Have a post-mortem carried out would be my very strong advice, especially seeing as the remaining rabbit is the littermate. I had two brother littermates, one died under general anaesthetic in June, he had a congenital defect to his liver (which we only found out on PM) and his littermate *may* have a similar problem with his liver. It has been very helpful to know why Shadow died and may just prevent something similar happening to Binky.

It could of course be disease that killed the little mini lop, but even in this case it could help his sibling to know "why". If your friend can't face a postmortem (I can understand how difficult that is) then maybe just have a vet look over the rabbit for clues could be of help.

So sorry for your friend's loss, losing them so young is heartbreaking. Just out of interest, are they from the same breeder your rabbits are from? I can imagine this would make it more distressing for you too.

Last edited:
It was very cold last night, if she has been bringing them in and out, that may have been the cause,

Swollen bits can be a sign of myxi, but you would see other signs,

Have a post-mortem carried out would be my very strong advice, especially seeing as the remaining rabbit is the littermate. I had two brother littermates, one died under general anaesthetic in June, he had a congenital defect to his liver (which we only found out on PM) and his littermate *may* have a similar problem with his liver. It has been very helpful to know why Shadow died and may just prevent something similar happening to Binky.

It could of course be disease that killed the little mini lop, but even in this case it could help his sibling to know "why". If your friend can't face a postmortem (I can understand how difficult that is) then maybe just have a vet look over the rabbit for clues could be of help.

So sorry for your friend's loss, losing them so young is heartbreaking. Just out of interest, are they from the same breeder your rabbits are from? I can imagine this would make it more distressing for you too.

Thankyou for that, i will pass it on, i did suggest a post mortom. No they were an accidental litter from a friend of hers. So sad seeming him this morning, i have pointed her in R.U direction to seek advice and to use a local rescue if they decide to get another.

Thankyou for that, i will pass it on, i did suggest a post mortom. No they were an accidental litter from a friend of hers. So sad seeming him this morning, i have pointed her in R.U direction to seek advice and to use a local rescue if they decide to get another.

Do you know if the parents were related? Just a possibility that they could be weaker so such as change in temperature could have been more serious for them to deal with if they had any genetic weaknesses.

update

Thanks for all your replies, just heard from my friend, vets say it was either hereditory or a heart attack :(, they were supposed to be getting them neutered today but have been adviced to wait a couple of weeks then if silver is healthy get him neutered tgen wait a couple more weeks and get him a friend from green leaf rescue. Fingers crossed for silver.

Back