• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

At What Age...

With regards to the 7 baby buns who are five weeks and two days old already :shock:

At what age should they be separated male and female?

At what age should they be vaccinated?

At what age can they be neutered / spayed?

We are keeping all of them so fortunately there's no question of what age can they leave home!! :lol:

Your advice is much appreciated RU. :wave:

Seperate between 8-10 weeks

Bucks can be neutered as soon as both balls have dropped
Females at around 4 months

Think vacc is between 3-6months depending on development, but someone ese may correct me

Dont vaccinate at the same time as neuter/spay though

Buns can be vaccinated as early as 5 weeks

If they are happy I have always left my babies with Mum till 12 weeks. Bucks usually start to fight at around 14 weeks, but girls can stay with Mum for longer if you want to. Just observe them and act accordingly.

I have usually waited till bucks are 5 months before neutering, girls a couple of weeks later.

I think those few extra weeks with Mum is nice for them and quite often Mums will feed up to 12 weeks. Even though there might not be much milk in there!

Good luck with it all.

Thanks for your answers. I want to make sure we get it right!

One more question - how soon can I have a Mammy rabbit spayed after giving birth. The babies are 5 weeks and two days now.

I am terrified of any accidental litters :shock:

Thanks for your answers. I want to make sure we get it right!

One more question - how soon can I have a Mammy rabbit spayed after giving birth. The babies are 5 weeks and two days now.

I am terrified of any accidental litters :shock:

Mum will be a bit drained health wise and still needs to be producing milk for a bit longer so personally I'd wait until the babies are completely weaned and removed from her and she's back in good health

OK, thanks. I plan to get the three other girls and one of the boys done, the other boy is snuffly so I will probably wait a bit longer again before he's done. He only had his vaccination two weeks ago anyway.

I am looking forward to the time when they are all neutered and spayed and the fear of an accidental litter is over with. :wave:

Good for you for all of it. Not only being responsible but taking them all on. You will have such fun watching them all interact, It's amazing. I have a mum with 2 children (now mum is 6 and children 3 lol) and that's amazing enough. Good luck, lots of photos and just keep consulting your vet. :D

Good for you for all of it. Not only being responsible but taking them all on. You will have such fun watching them all interact, It's amazing. I have a mum with 2 children (now mum is 6 and children 3 lol) and that's amazing enough. Good luck, lots of photos and just keep consulting your vet. :D

Thank you :wave: We had no option but to take them all on, I couldn't leave the original 7 adults where they were, it was horrendous. I am so sad at losing Crystal but determined to plod on and get them all sorted. I'm waiting for the post mortem results and I'm keen to go ahead with three of the spayings and one neutering. One snuffly boy and the Mammy bun will be done as soon as they are fit enough. All the adults are vaccinated although two of my own original ten need their vaccinations this month too and money is very tight. I need to plan ahead and spread the money I have got about. I'm also thinking about doing some fund raising by selling some bits and pieces. I'm just hurting so bad again tonight having lost Crystal just over 36 hours ago and worried about what the cause may have been. Fortunately our vet is very good.

I'll have to get my daughter to upload some photos - there are some lovely looking buns here :lol:

Boys usually drop between 14-16 weeks if that helps. Boys really need neutering asap to prevent fighting, but there isn't quite the same urgency with girls so if you wanted to hold off a few months and spread the cost - just keep an eye on their behaviour. The other thing is it's probably better to spread them a bit anyway so you're not nursing half a dozen bunnies all at once post op :D

Boys usually drop between 14-16 weeks if that helps. Boys really need neutering asap to prevent fighting, but there isn't quite the same urgency with girls so if you wanted to hold off a few months and spread the cost - just keep an eye on their behaviour. The other thing is it's probably better to spread them a bit anyway so you're not nursing half a dozen bunnies all at once post op :D

Yes, thanks I had already considered that, having a lot of post op buns to care for. I would like to get two or three done at a time although I may have three of the adults girls and one adult male done all together, I will speak to our vet first and then arrange it for when I have a long weekend off work as it is unfair to expect my hubby to look after them alone and put up with my constant phoning from work to see how they are!

Back