• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pato has mucoid enteritis, please help me..

Asuka

New Kit
Hi to everyone! I'm an italian girl so i'm sorry for my bad english!
I am quite desperate, so i found this forum where someone had experience with this ill. For my bad english it's very difficult to find the answers to my questions only reading so please help me even if you already talk about this.
I'll tell you the Pato's story: he's a 6 yo bunny, sterilized and since childhood has always had intestinal problems but not serious (meteorism, slight constipation). He's always been delicate but has always eaten a lot, had some good poo. At August was operated to the teeth (extracted last molar on the right) because he chewed bad and the poo were not nice rounded.Since then things improved but at the end of October I found a lot of liquid in the room! This liquid comes from cecos because only comes out when he's eating ciecotrofi(the poo that bunnies eat). My vet gave me a cure: DEFLAMON and Questran for 20 days. She diagnosed mucoid enteritis in fact sometimes he's left poo with mucus. After the treatment seemed settled and I started to give him vegetables, but two weeks ago continues to remake the liquid until yesterday it has done so much as the beginning. When I touch him I feel the CECOS swollen and hard at times when makes the liquid, when is normal is swollen and it seems there is water inside. The belly is swollen, has a lot of gas, the poo is irregular but solid. Sometimes it happens that leaves even the mucus and ciecotrofi. We did rx abdomen, visits, tried Mylicon (simethicone) but it seems that only care deflamon (Metronidazole) and Questran are effective. We did the bacteriological examination of poo and wait for the results on Monday. In the meantime, I wanted to know if anyone had the same experience so maybe you can tell me his story and care that he did.
Oh I forget to tell that Pato lives in house, he has his room with his partner Pallina!

Thank you for your answer, if you don't understand something please tell me :)
xoxo

ps: this photos are the poo and the liquid (is like coffee)
http://mayanatsume.altervista.org/Pato2.JPG
http://mayanatsume.altervista.org/pato1.JPG
http://mayanatsume.altervista.org/DSC00692.JPG
http://mayanatsume.altervista.org/28122012305.jpg

Last edited:
Does your bunny eat lots of hay , if I give 2 of my bunnys veg they get soft poos so I only feed mine minimal pellets tons of hay 24/7 , and fresh herbs every other day :)

Does your bunny eat lots of hay , if I give 2 of my bunnys veg they get soft poos so I only feed mine minimal pellets tons of hay 24/7 , and fresh herbs every other day :)

Yes Pato eats a lots of hay of various types (raff piemont, oxbow, natural pet)! Then I fedd him with pellet (oxbow) but for the moment I had to delete the veg 'cause with the belly full of gas there is a risk that it ferments .. but the poos are nice though irregular I put photos so you can see them!

The pictures where there is the mucus or the liquid (which is not diarrhea) are those of November ..

Hi,my old bunnies poos look just like the ones in your picture.I took a poo sample to the vets and she has been diagnosed with coccidiosis.We are treating her with a drug called septrin.If your rabbit does have this parasite you will need to clean everywhere he has been very thoroughly,preferably with a steam cleaner.All poos need to be picked up asap,bedding changed daily and food bowels elevated off the floor.There is another condition called mega colon which gives a bunny splatty poos.There is a member on here called thumps_ who will be able to advise you in this condition.

Hi,my old bunnies poos look just like the ones in your picture.I took a poo sample to the vets and she has been diagnosed with coccidiosis.We are treating her with a drug called septrin.If your rabbit does have this parasite you will need to clean everywhere he has been very thoroughly,preferably with a steam cleaner.All poos need to be picked up asap,bedding changed daily and food bowels elevated off the floor.There is another condition called mega colon which gives a bunny splatty poos.There is a member on here called thumps_ who will be able to advise you in this condition.

We have made an examination of coccidia immediately as soon as the problem occurred and was negative .. We also did blood tests before the operation to the teeth and it was alright. I read a little about the mega colon and although there are common symptoms (poos) I don't think is that .. Pato is not a hothot, is a cross similar to a Dutch ..it's unlikely. However, I'll ask to that person!
Thank you very much!! All you are very kind!

:wave: Hello, & welcome to RU :D
I am so sorry to hear that Pato is ill.
Your English is very good.:thumb: I think that it's very difficult to translate the different words we use for rabbits & their illness.

I have replied to your pm.

For the benefit of other readers, I happen to have heard of a vet in Italy who is respected throughout Europe for his knowledge of rabbit illness. (An Italian Francis Harcourt Brown)
Between us Asuka & I are trying to find out how her own vet can contact him when the results are back.

Please keep us informed about all that happens to Pato & how he is.
We are all here to support you through this difficult time. We also learn from each other, so we can help more people. :)

I have a Rabbit who had a similar problem. All tests came back 'normal' and in the end he was treated for an Inflammatory bowel condition. He was prescribed Sulfasalazine (Salazopyrin)

http://drugs.webmd.boots.com/drugs/...&drugname=Salazopyrin&source=3&isTicTac=False

After just 2 weeks of treatment his symptoms resolved. He was on treatment for a further 2 weeks and he has been fine ever since. No more problems with his guts for over 4 years.

Is infiammatory bowel condition different from enteritis? I don't find anything specific about it! Thank you, I'll tell it to my vet! Can you tell me more about your rabbit's problem? Sorry i don't wanna be rude but you are the FIRST that say 'a similar problem' and believe me i searched everywhere in Italy! Even my vet never saw a similiar problem and she's very good and up to date.. If you don't want don't worry, I'll understand!

:wave: Hello, & welcome to RU :D
I am so sorry to hear that Pato is ill.
Your English is very good.:thumb: I think that it's very difficult to translate the different words we use for rabbits & their illness.

I have replied to your pm.

For the benefit of other readers, I happen to have heard of a vet in Italy who is respected throughout Europe for his knowledge of rabbit illness. (An Italian Francis Harcourt Brown)
Between us Asuka & I are trying to find out how her own vet can contact him when the results are back.

Please keep us informed about all that happens to Pato & how he is.
We are all here to support you through this difficult time. We also learn from each other, so we can help more people. :)

Thank you for the welcome, i'm really happy to find this forum! Really it is about google who help me to translate some phrases and terms because is really hard to write and translate about it :oops:
But is positive because you can help me to migliorare my english for the english exam on university (i'll do on may) ahahaha!
Ok when I'll have the results i'll tell you what will be the situation and the cure.. I hope, really much, that we find something because is hard. Pato is a fighter and my big Love :) All you are very kind to answer to me and help me!
Really thank you!

Is infiammatory bowel condition different from enteritis? I don't find anything specific about it! Thank you, I'll tell it to my vet! Can you tell me more about your rabbit's problem? Sorry i don't wanna be rude but you are the FIRST that say 'a similar problem' and believe me i searched everywhere in Italy! Even my vet never saw a similiar problem and she's very good and up to date.. If you don't want don't worry, I'll understand!

Harry (the effected Rabbit) presented with constant mucus covered soft feces. He was not off his food, he maintained his weight and abdominal examination gave no signs of pain, just very 'fluidy' feeling. He had blood tests and fecal analysis. All of which gave no indication of any problem except that I think one of the blood tests showed signs of an 'inflammatory condition'.

He was treated for Coccidiosis anyway as false negatives can occur with fecal analysis. But the problem persisted. Trying the Salazopyrin was a last resort really as we had run out of options to try to help him. To be honest neither me or my Vet were that confident that it would help, we were both very relieved that it did as poor Harry, whilst OK within himself, was constantly covered in runny poo. I had to clean him up several times a day and he began to get very fed up with it all. Also, at the time he was still entire as we could not risk a GA to neuter him when his guts were such a mess. We were concerned that when he was neutered the gut problem may flare up again. But it didn't. Mind you Harry managed to get himself into even more trouble a few weeks after being neutered by sustaining a compound fracture of his femur resulting in a hind leg amputation. Despite all of this his gut problems did not return. Hopefully they never will, but obviously no-one can say for sure.

Harry (the effected Rabbit) presented with constant mucus covered soft feces. He was not off his food, he maintained his weight and abdominal examination gave no signs of pain, just very 'fluidy' feeling. He had blood tests and fecal analysis. All of which gave no indication of any problem except that I think one of the blood tests showed signs of an 'inflammatory condition'.

He was treated for Coccidiosis anyway as false negatives can occur with fecal analysis. But the problem persisted. Trying the Salazopyrin was a last resort really as we had run out of options to try to help him. To be honest neither me or my Vet were that confident that it would help, we were both very relieved that it did as poor Harry, whilst OK within himself, was constantly covered in runny poo. I had to clean him up several times a day and he began to get very fed up with it all. Also, at the time he was still entire as we could not risk a GA to neuter him when his guts were such a mess. We were concerned that when he was neutered the gut problem may flare up again. But it didn't. Mind you Harry managed to get himself into even more trouble a few weeks after being neutered by sustaining a compound fracture of his femur resulting in a hind leg amputation. Despite all of this his gut problems did not return. Hopefully they never will, but obviously no-one can say for sure.

Poor Harry :( i'm happy he is ok now, i'll hope he always will. It seems really similar to Pato's case: the blood exam showed a little infection but after the operation to the teeth was solved but in effect the problem arrives after .. maybe i can do blood exam again. Rx showed only a big an expanded cecos and a lot of gas but after the cure in another rx it was normal. I saw that the gas and a little liquid return when he eat some veg like cicoria (http://www.google.it/imgres?imgurl=...BkiUcmfLKnw4QSzjoGoCg&ved=0CEAQ9QEwAg&dur=407) for this reason we eliminate them. My vet tell me it is possible that a problem is the stomach empties slowly the food and the gut works twice for nothing farther he lost a lot of weigh first cause the teeth then the enteritis. Me too i have to clean him or all the blankets in the room, everyday.. Saturday and Sunday he was very bad and tired. Yesterday evening he flopped on my legs to be pampered.. My sweet pato.. Today he's fine, better than yesterday :)
I want to ask my vet about this drug! Thank you very much!

The exam is negative..
Guys i'm really sad.. Now I have to wait if Pato makes liquid again and make a stopper to analize..
It seems Pato is better than yesterday and tonight didn't make liquid..
I'm very sad.

The exam is negative..
Guys i'm really sad.. Now I have to wait if Pato makes liquid again and make a stopper to analize..
It seems Pato is better than yesterday and tonight didn't make liquid..
I'm very sad.

Please don't give up hope. The difference between RU & other forums is that we have Jack's-Jane, & she has a special gift with sick rabbits, especially those with rare illness.
Jack's- Jane suggests salazopyrine.
None of us are vets, but her suggestion makes a lot of sense to me. I'm very hopeful it might work.

Hi everyone! I'm sorry to not answer anymore in the forum but i was busy to work, university and Pato..
He's fine now, i have finished the cure on tuesday and until now he hasn't made liquid and today i'm starting to give him veg :)
I talked to my vet about salazopyrine and she didn't know it but she thinks that it's a good idea! The other day she has hospitalized a bunny with the same Pato's problem.. maybe she will use that drug to see if is usefull to heal this problem..
I used deflamon plus questran because i already used before and it worked but if the problem will be again i'll use salazopyrine..
In italy i find it only in pads 500 mg and my vet tell me that in her books is used for dogs and cats, and the dosage is 30 mg for 5 days.. she told me very quickly on telephone so it's possible it is not right but i'm curious if Jack's-Jane did the similar cure..
Thank you again!:love:

Hi guys!:wave:
I wanna update you about Pato's problem.. He had a relapse so we (me and my Vet) have decided to prove with salazopyrine.. We started friday and until today it seems it has worked: no liquid, no bloated stomach or intestinal. I am really happy! I wanna thank Jack's-Jane for the suggestion :)
I'll tell you the developments!
Good Sunday :)

Last edited:
I hope that like my Harry the Salazopyrin will resolve things for Pato and that he will eventually be able to come off it

Thank you :D I hope this is the right time! Pato responds well for the moment even though I'm afraid that his bowels slow down a bit because the poo are smaller than normal .. If tomorrow he continues I will ask to my vet if I can give something to help him..

ps. I'm sorry to have wrong your name Jack's-Jane, I corrected the post! Sorry!:oops::oops::oops:

That's really good news.:D
I'm delighted that you're giving salazopyrine a try, & it's working so well.
Good on yer Jack's-Jane.:D

I think your vet can help you with the poohs. Pato needs some woody twigs, which will speed up the transit time too.
I think you live in the mountainous area of Bologna. I'm sorry but I've no idea of what grows there, to recommend any which are safe for rabbits to eat.

Back