• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Remember the 7 rescue buns - now 6 UPDATE PM RESULTS POST 21

I have been putting this off all evening, I'm frightened I'll rant.

Remember the 7 buns that were rescued from a 'rescue', one bun then went on to have 7 babies and another bun had a stillborn baby. Well today we lost one of those special buns.

Crystal was the little girl bun who was in a pen with another female and a male. She was clearly underweight and very nervous but settled in here with her 'sister' the other girl bun in the pen. Five weeks ago Crystal's sister Angel started nesting so Crystal and Angel were separated. Angel had 7 babies. Later that day Crystal started nesting too but then stopped. 5 days later she appeared in pain and on examination the vet told us she too was pregnant. The babies could not be picked up on x-ray as their bones were not calcified and it also showed that Crystal's bones were poor too. There was a fetal heartbeat however so we waited in hope. Two days later a stillborn baby arrived, s/he was deformed with one paw missing (not chewed, missing). Crystal had gone through all that for nothing.

Today I noticed Crystal hadn't eaten much of her food and looked in pain. I immediately rang the vets to say we were on our way and got a carry box ready as I was on my own and couldn't hold her and drive. My husband came home and within minutes as I carried her to the carrier she started mouth breathing - I knew it was too late so I took her in to the bedroom and led her down on the bed and smoothed and reassured her as she slipped away - all over in a couple of minutes.

We have only had the buns since the middle of December. Every day I have picked this little bun up, told her I love her, that she's safe and that I would look after her forever. Forever wasn't long in her case. A sad little life where she has been let down by humans and still had the grace to show me love and gratitude. The first time I picked her up in that hell hole of a rescue, she pushed her head under my chin and leaned in to me. I was determined to rescue her and I am glad we did.

I've got a very heavy heart tonight and I'm worried about the other buns as we await the outcome of the post mortem. I hope I did all I could have done and that I hadn't missed something.

I love you Crystal bun and I will forever.

Last edited:
:cry::cry::cry:

You showed her love, you couldn't have done more, bless you for making her last days safe and peaceful xxx

Binky free little one xxx

binky free, crystal bun.

i'm so sorry for your loss and for your pain. thank you for loving crystal so much. she has had love, which many animals and many people never experience. xx

I remember your story, I was in shock when I read it, but you pulled off one hell of a rescue from what I remember. Her days with you were happy and safe, keep that with you always. So very sorry for your loss, thank goodness you were with her when she passed.

Binky free beautiful Crystal.xx

I know I can't "do" anything, but my thoughts are with you.x

I'm so sorry, and am thinking of you at this sad and worrying time. Crystal's time may have been short with you, but she clearly knew she was safe and loved.

Binky free Crystal. xxx

I'm sorry :( It doesn't make the loss any easier but I hope you can take a bit of comfort from the fact that her last weeks were filled with love and care and you made her feel the happiest and safest she had probably ever felt *massive hug*

I remember your rescue too and the wonderful job you did. I am very sorry you lost Crystal and that she lost her only baby. You did all you could for her and showed her the loved she deserved.

(((((Hugs)))))

Thank you everyone.

I've just been sat with her sister Angel and the babies. They are all so beautiful. I let Angel see Crystal before I took her for the PM. I think they need to see what has happened. Out of all the buns, 16 adults and 7 babies, all are pretty quiet tonight, in fact the babies are bouncing around but not the adults, the cats and dog are very subdued too - it's as if they are all sharing the shock and grief of losing Crystal. It's been a very sad and strange day. I don't believe in God or an afterlife but in my mind's eye I can see Crystal making her way to Rainbow Bridge with the puzzled and shy look she always had on her face. I'd rather close my eyes and see that than the empty cage and run she left behind.

Binky free Crystal, perhaps you can really binky now,

So sorry :( binky free Crystal and baby bun xxxx

Yes, of course, at Rainbow Bridge they would be together - that's a lovely thought.

I'm so tired and want to go to bed but that's where she died 12 hours ago now. Sounds wimpy and I'm not a scaredy cat, just upset at the moment. Hubby out cold already, I might just sleep on the settee tonight!

I am so sorry :cry:

You did insure that Crystal got to experience love and care and that will have made a difference. She passed in a safe and loving environment and although that fact may not help you right now being safe and loved will have helped Crystal.

RIP little Bunny xx

So sorry for your loss but you did your best which isn't always enough to undo the wrong others have caused. I hope you are feeling more cheerful soon and able to love the remaining buns.

Oh no, I'm so sorry :cry: Her last few weeks were full of warmth and happiness, you've done such a great job of changing the lives of those buns for the better. I'm sorry she couldn't enjoy her new life longer :cry: Binky free Crystal xx

I am so sorry:( Please hang onto the fact that her last few weeks were filled with love, possibly for the first time in her life:love:

Back