• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please?

Charmednm

Mama Doe
I am currently saving my tips from work to buy poppy a new hutch and 'do' it up, going to put lino down in it.

Can anyone give me an idea of the best place to go for it and how would anyone recommend putting it down?

Im planning to do it all myself (with a little help from mum :) ) so any advice is welcome

You could try getting an off cut from your local freecycle group or go to a carpet shop and ask for an appropriately sized off cut - tell them what it's for, I did this and they halved the price for me!

I am currently saving my tips from work to buy poppy a new hutch and 'do' it up, going to put lino down in it.

Can anyone give me an idea of the best place to go for it and how would anyone recommend putting it down?

Im planning to do it all myself (with a little help from mum :) ) so any advice is welcome

Poundland do sticky-backed lino squares that are fab, although they may need a little extra glue. They're not the thickest lino but are so cheap that you can easily replace them. I'd put them down, then nail a thin strip of wood round the edges of the hutch to stop the edges lifting.

You could try getting an off cut from your local freecycle group or go to a carpet shop and ask for an appropriately sized off cut - tell them what it's for, I did this and they halved the price for me!

How did you stick yours down?

Poundland do sticky-backed lino squares that are fab, although they may need a little extra glue. They're not the thickest lino but are so cheap that you can easily replace them. I'd put them down, then nail a thin strip of wood round the edges of the hutch to stop the edges lifting.

If i dont get it cheap enough i will try this thank you, silly question maybe but what kind of glue haha

If i dont get it cheap enough i will try this thank you, silly question maybe but what kind of glue haha

I can't remember :oops: Sorry! I don't think it would matter as long as they're stuck down nice and flat with no gaps, so bunny has no chance of chewing. But I'd wait for some other replies first as I'm not positive.

We were able to lie ours on the base, it's a homemade base, and put the hutch on top, it's a coop style hutch.

Otherwise you can lie it in and nail down a wooden edge to hold it, like you see on laminate flooring.

I would buy an offcut of Lino (you can often find them on eBay, sometimes they are under 'vinyl' in the search rather than Lino and called remnant rather than offcut). Personally I wouldn't go for tiles as they will never have a perfect seal and will eventually trap dirt and bacteria/mould and lift up.

If you are getting a new hutch and it is flat pack, I would suggest lining the floor before you assemble the hutch. That way you are guaranteed a perfect fit without any gaps. Simply use a normal pva glue or double sided carpet tape to stick the Lino onto the floor, then when the glue has dried, cut any excess around the edges (and ramp hole if there is a ramp).

Then when you assemble the hutch, the sides will sit on top of the Lino, so you can then put a bead of silicone sealant around all the junctions. It will take a while to dry but it's well worth doing, it makes it soooooo much easier to clean.

A bit like this:

d1ec143db3dfda003d10e97e592cc381.jpg

Last edited:
I use the wipeable vinyl table cover stuff that you can buy by the metre at Dunelm and The Range. The cheaper ones are £4 a metre and the more expensive £10 a metre.
I tack it down with tacking pins round the edge of my shed and it has lasted really well, easy to clean and cheap to replace when you want to change the decor!
Kate

Try a number of cheap carpet places, tell them what it's for and say you're happy to have a damaged piece, dodgy colour, unsellable piece and see if you can have it for free or ultra cheap. Alternatively speak to a carpet fitter and ask 'him' for any offcuts from a job - I've never paid for any of my pieces! Good luck!

Back