• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sudden breathing issues

Roulette

New Kit
After taking my rabbit to the vet yesterday evening regarding a slight head tilt, he began to exhibit other symptoms that grew increasingly worse into the night.

-Breathing heavily though his nose, akin to a wheezing sort of sound.
-Made grunting sounds as he moved, as if he were in discomfort.
-Reluctance to move, hunched over position.
-Eating small amounts but visibly uncomfortable when swallowing.
-Leaving runny stools.
-Capable of moving around, seems alert on some occasions, lethargic (laying down, hunched over) on others.
-He's currently molting (may be an issue?)

After taking him to the vet again, who examined his throat and listened to his lungs with a stethoscope, and assured me his digestive system and gut were fine, although he couldn't diagnose the cause of my rabbit's breathing problem, and gave me an antibiotic for throat/chest infections in order to try and clear it up.

He said I could choose to have the rabbit hospitalised so they could run tests that may determine the problem, but unfortunately the costs are far too high for me to afford. I am currently unemployed and have already had to spend £100 on 2 consolations, an injection to keep his gut moving, the antibiotics for the head tilting issue, and another for the breathing. I simply cannot afford any more vet bills and am concerned for my rabbit's welfare.

Has anyone any idea what this problem is, and if the antibiotics will clear it up?

Last edited:
Is he on a course of panacur? I think you need to change your vet as they don't seem very clued up on bunnies.
He needs to see another vet and unfortunately it will cost you more. He needs a course of panacur and a painkiller, the heavy breathing could be because he is in intense pain.
Where do you live? Try posting up in rabbit chat for a rabbit savvy vet in your area. I hope you find one soon as it sounds like he is very unwell.

Is he on a course of panacur? I think you need to change your vet as they don't seem very clued up on bunnies.
He needs to see another vet and unfortunately it will cost you more. He needs a course of panacur and a painkiller, the heavy breathing could be because he is in intense pain.
Where do you live? Try posting up in rabbit chat for a rabbit savvy vet in your area. I hope you find one soon as it sounds like he is very unwell.

He supplied me with a course of Panacur wormer, yes.
For his breathing issue, he supplied me with a vial of Baytril, of which I've been advised to give to my rabbit twice daily. Does that sound about right?

As for where I live, it is Spalding in the UK. I visited my local medivet.

Hi

I disagree re him needing Panacur as it sounds as though your Vet is correct in diagnosing a bacterial infection which is effecting your Rabbit's middle ear as well as his/her Respiratory tract. Antibiotics are certainly needed and it is good that they have been started. However, it is absolutely essential that your Rabbit has a full course of antibiotic treatment, not just a one off injection. Has the Vet given you a course of antibiotics to administer ?

Were you told about the importance of cleaning and bleach cleaning days while on the Panacur?

Presumably the vet suspects EC to be the cause of the head tilt?

Did he investigate the possibility of an ear infection?

Just seen Jane has posted, she's most experienced and I would take her advise.

Hi

I disagree re him needing Panacur as it sounds as though your Vet is correct in diagnosing a bacterial infection which is effecting your Rabbit's middle ear as well as his/her Respiratory tract. Antibiotics are certainly needed and it is good that they have been started. However, it is absolutely essential that your Rabbit has a full course of antibiotic treatment, not just a one off injection. Has the Vet given you a course of antibiotics to administer ?

Op said a vial of Baytril has been given for twice daily administration.

However, it is absolutely essential that your Rabbit has a full course of antibiotic treatment, not just a one off injection. Has the Vet given you a course of antibiotics to administer ?
Posted just a short few minutes before you did, but yes, he supplied me Baytril antibiotics. The previous evening, when visiting with the head tilt problem, he gave my rabbit an injection to help keep his gut moving too.

Were you told about the importance of cleaning and bleach cleaning days while on the Panacur?

Presumably the vet suspects EC to be the cause of the head tilt?

Did he investigate the possibility of an ear infection?
Could you elaborate on your first point? I'm having an absent minded moment here and am sure I'm missing the obvious, but I'm confused as to what 'cleaning and bleach cleaning days' refer to? As in, cleaning his cage? (Appologies if I come off as a little slow here!)

Yes, he investigated the possibility of ear infection. Checked inside his ears with a light, took some ear wax samples and looked at them under a microscope and checked for ear mites. Nothing came up, but he gave me the Panacur medicine just to be certain.

Posted just a short few minutes before you did, but yes, he supplied me Baytril antibiotics. The previous evening, when visiting with the head tilt problem, he gave my rabbit an injection to help keep his gut moving too.

Could you elaborate on your first point? I'm having an absent minded moment here and am sure I'm missing the obvious, but I'm confused as to what 'cleaning and bleach cleaning days' refer to? As in, cleaning his cage? (Appologies if I come off as a little slow here!)

Yes, he investigated the possibility of ear infection. Checked inside his ears with a light, took some ear wax samples and looked at them under a microscope and checked for ear mites. Nothing came up, but he gave me the Panacur medicine just to be certain.

a *middle ear* infection cannot always be obvious just from looking into the ear canals. A skull xray is required to diagnose it. Head tilt is a symptom of middle ear infection as well as EC (Panacur has been given to cover EC). Given the combination of both ear and respiratory tract involvement it would seem that a bacterial infection is the primary issue.

Has the Vet also prescribed a non steroidal anti inflammatory eg Metacam. NSAIDs are another important part of the treatment of head tilt, whether the cause of the tilt is EC or bacterial infection.

Ah I'm glad your vet did give you the panacur. From what you have said it actually does sound like your vet is ok :thumb:

Does he have any discharge from his nose or is it just the heavy breathing?
When you mentioned the runny poo were these maybe uneaten cecals?

I would be concerned about runny poo but if it is a bacterial infection then perhaps it's affecting everything, not just his breathing and ears. Jack's Jane has much much more experience than most people so hopefully she can suggest something about this.

Back