• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

pregnant rescue bunny need advice

jo79

New Kit
Hi my 2 year old dwarf lop is expecting. :shock:
We rescued her 3 weeks ago and must have been pregnant when we got her. Her vet check didnt pick it up so she was probably only just.
Problem now is she is making nests all over the house. Ive given her the materials to do it in her cage but she takes it all else where. She has a separate cage to her bunny husband Charlie but if shes building nests where he has access to will the babies be safe from him ?
I don't want to upset her by moving all her nests. I also have no idea when she is due next week at a guess....
Any advice would be greatfully received x

Sorry I have no idea but just didn't want to read and not reply. Good luck with everything.

She'll put the nests where she can and wants to and feels its best.

If she was pregnant when you got her, she could drop any day now, as rabbit gestation is 31 days.

You will need to keep the male COMPLETELY away from her and the kits, as he could hurt them and vice versa, she could be VERY defensive and attack anybun who comes near.

I assume you let them both together and he's un-neutered too?

Poor mummy :( - hope everything goes okay.

I'll let other more baby knowledgeable people comment further.

Good luck.

Sorry, can't really offer any advice but hope someone will see your thread and can be more helpful.

I do know, however, that the babies won't be safe from your buck so he will have to be kept separate.

She'll put the nests where she can and wants to and feels its best.

If she was pregnant when you got her, she could drop any day now, as rabbit gestation is 31 days.

You will need to keep the male COMPLETELY away from her and the kits, as he could hurt them and vice versa, she could be VERY defensive and attack anybun who comes near.

I assume you let them both together and he's un-neutered too?Poor mummy :( - hope everything goes okay.

I'll let other more baby knowledgeable people comment further.

Good luck.

No, he is neutered (explained in another thread) so she must have already been pregnant.

Thanks, they both have their own cages and Charlie is neutered which is why I know hes not the daddy. They both have the run of the house all day and go to bed separately at night. The plan is eventually to put them together but under the circumstances Mabel is keeping her own space. ...

There's lots of useful info in this thread but hopefully people with more experience will be able to answer any specific questions you have. :D

Is she definitely pregnant? Ie. has the vet confirmed... as it's also possible for females to have phantom pregnancies with the nest building.

Back