• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which is better?

TashaH

New Kit
:wave:Hi everyone,

I am the future owner of two rabbits. I am going to see some baby buns from a local breeder tommorow. I am looking to get a boy and a girl. However, I have had a bit of a mind change. The 2 i like have been reserved, also after posting a thread yesterday, most people are saying i would have to have 2 set ups and then re-bond them when they are both neutured, which i don't really have the facility to do.. Also, there are some gorgeous buns in rescue centres which are already neutred and they are bonded. And i know there are lost of great buns who just need a second chance! It would save alot of hassle regarding spaying and seperate set ups e.t.c. But i would also love to have some baby buns since birth. Of course, im still going to go tommorow and will hopefully be able to get some advise from the breeder.
But what do you all think i should do?
THanks for any answers in advance

The breeder will prob be a bit biased ;) truth be told, a lot of the time it is better to have an adult rabbit as their personalities have already developed (eg. when I had rabbits when I was a young teen, I had the nicest baby doe... then she grew up got hormonal and turned nasty! Had her spayed and it didn't really help, she was still quite nasty but just less aggressive over her hutch in the shed she lived in). Also, if you get a baby, they might have health problems that haven't been spotted (esp dental issues with mini lops), but at a reputable rescue they will have been vet checked and any problems will have been noted and you will be informed before you adopt :) also they would have had vaccinations (which my vet charges £38 per bunny for the combi vaccination) and been neutered (£57 for a buck and £85 doe) so you will be saving a lot :D

there are quite a few rescues that have accidental litters in sometimes.
I got willow when she was 17 weeks old, I could have had her sooner but we didn't have everything sorted till she was older.
To be honest bunnies stay babies fro a very short period of time.
They grow up so fast, if you wanted to see babies and help look after them then you could volunteer at a local rescue, or become a foster carer and if they have any accidental litter's handed in you could rear them with the mum?
Or ask your breeder if you could help out?

Weighing them up against each other. Cute baby from breeder vs older bun/baby from rescue.
Cute baby needs vaccines, (£30ishx2) Neutering/spaying (£90ish x2) cost of 2 setups till you can bond again. £?? = over £240 for vaccs+neuter.
Rescue bun already has vaccs, neuter etc. Adoption fee for a pair at my local rescue is £80, and you only need one set up.
If you go for baby rescue buns, you would still potentially need two set ups, their vaccs would be done, but you'd probs have to neuter/spay yourself.
For a pair of babies without spay/neuter my local would be £60. Then add spay/neuter £90 x 2.

It's down to what you feel is best, my personal opinion would be to get a bonded adult pair, saves you stress as well as money :)

Having had both over the years, I'd say get a rescue pair, already neutered, vaccinated and bonded. Most rabbits are handed into rescue before they're a year old but the joy of rehoming an older, overlooked pair is something else. Remember that bunnies can live for 10 years or more so even if you adopted a middle aged pair, you could still have them for 5 years or more. A breeder will want to sell you baby bunnies so is bound to promote that as the preferred option.

Yeah if I were you I'd avoid the breeders and go talk to a rescue.

I find rescue people so much nicer than breeders anyway, they tend to actually care and love the animals in their care, rather than the animals just being there to make some money on the side. Rescue people are the nicest people, they really are :D I know people say that rescues are harder to adopt from etc but in total honesty if you just take on board their advice you will really get the most out of owning bunnies. It's only really since I met a certain lady who runs a certain rescue (they know who they are!) I became really interested and involved in the rescue world, and its a wonderful thing to get involved in. I recently had a hay emergency and had to go to an ex breeder to get some, and even being an ex breeder I was shocked at how different her attitude towards the animals was :(.

Ill shh now :oops:

Having had both over the years, I'd say get a rescue pair, already neutered, vaccinated and bonded. Most rabbits are handed into rescue before they're a year old but the joy of rehoming an older, overlooked pair is something else. Remember that bunnies can live for 10 years or more so even if you adopted a middle aged pair, you could still have them for 5 years or more. A breeder will want to sell you baby bunnies so is bound to promote that as the preferred option.

Yes, i totally agree. Seeing as you are in the same area as me, do you reccomend any nearby rescues?

Have you looked in the search part of the site? There are quite a few bonded pairs <1 not too far from MK which would give you a good idea of the kind of lovely buns available.

I would also suggest rescue, which most people will say on here as we are very much 'pro-rescue'. I'm not anti-breeder, but there are so many thousands on bunnies needing homes across the country. Many rescues will have babies in, but if you get adults, they will be spayed/neutered, vaccinated, and bonded, and you will only need one setup for them.

It's definitely the 'easier' and cheaper option, whilst still giving homeless bunnies a home. I've got 5 second hand bunnies, only one I had from an 8 week old baby, and he is definitely no more special than the rescue ones. You can definitely have a wonderful bond with an older bun.

there are quite a few rescues that have accidental litters in sometimes.
I got willow when she was 17 weeks old, I could have had her sooner but we didn't have everything sorted till she was older.
To be honest bunnies stay babies fro a very short period of time.
They grow up so fast, if you wanted to see babies and help look after them then you could volunteer at a local rescue, or become a foster carer and if they have any accidental litter's handed in you could rear them with the mum?
Or ask your breeder if you could help out?

Weighing them up against each other. Cute baby from breeder vs older bun/baby from rescue.
Cute baby needs vaccines, (£30ishx2) Neutering/spaying (£90ish x2) cost of 2 setups till you can bond again. £?? = over £240 for vaccs+neuter.
Rescue bun already has vaccs, neuter etc. Adoption fee for a pair at my local rescue is £80, and you only need one set up.
If you go for baby rescue buns, you would still potentially need two set ups, their vaccs would be done, but you'd probs have to neuter/spay yourself.
For a pair of babies without spay/neuter my local would be £60. Then add spay/neuter £90 x 2.

It's down to what you feel is best, my personal opinion would be to get a bonded adult pair, saves you stress as well as money :)

I am beggining to agree with you all, it will definately save me alot of money! And it would be great to give rabbits a new chance at happiness!

Have you looked in the search part of the site? There are quite a few bonded pairs <1 not too far from MK which would give you a good idea of the kind of lovely buns available.

I have had a look and have seen lots of buns come up! WIll defo have a look now :lol::lol:

Yes, i totally agree. Seeing as you are in the same area as me, do you reccomend any nearby rescues?

:lol: I've been all over the place for my bunnies and piggies (Kent, Leicester, Warwickshire, Norfolk to name but a few). The Rabbit Residence is in Royston, Herts, which isn't too far away and Caroline has so many bunnies looking for lovely homes. I think MK has an RSPCA branch for bunnies and there's somewhere in Bedford which isn't too far away. I think there' also one in Dunstable. But many rescues on RU rehome nationally - Honeybunnies in Leicester or RNGP Welfare in Rugby are just two fairly nearby examples. Try doing a search for rescues on the home page of the RU website. I think Rabbit Rescue in Ashton (just the other side of Hanslope) has closed.

ETA - go to the home page www.rabbitrehome.org.uk and there's a facility to search 'rescue centres'. If you search under Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire you'll find all the local centres.

Last edited:
Id go for older bunnies that have already been done. I dont know for sure but I dont think shelters re-home buns until they have been done so about 4 - 6 months? The bun im getting at the weekend is only 9 months old.

Last week I saw the most beautiful 6mth old pair of bonded neutered vaccinated buns in the care of R.A.T.S. in Bedford. If I had more room and time I would definately have brought them home. They are really lovely people and have alot of buns looking for homes at the moment.

I'd go for a young neutered pair of buns, no need to worry about the cost and potential issues of neutering as it will already be done but they're still young!

hiya....

I'd also get a neutered bonded pair from a rescue. The Rescue people will be able to be a bit more honest, their buns will have been health checked and vaccinated and if they are likely to have any "habits" or requirements, they will advise you with the animals best intentions rther than a financial intention.. I got my 2 and the rescue were able to tell me about temperament to me, was helpful....

The very best of luck to you in your search

Fee x

Back