• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Asking for pain relief to take home after a spay.

jazxo

Mama Doe
I had an appointment at my usual vets recently regarding something else and decided to ask about Pippin's spay that will be happening soon.
I said will I be able to take pain relief home for her and she said not generally, we give them injections.
Everyone on here has said that you must/should have pain relief to take home and I most certainly want some.
Can I demand it? What can I say?

I had this problem. I knew they needed it but not quite how badly, so I gave up and just accepted it. I would definitely insist now or I'd go elsewhere. I still feel guilty :(

I would say that I would not expect to be discharged from hospital after major abdominal surgery with no take home analgesia

Pain relief given via injection will wear off within 24 hours

Pain in Rabbits causes them to not eat leading to gut slow-down/ gut stasis

Post operative gut stasis is a known risk factor after a spay

Rabbits are prey animals, they have evolved to hide obvious signs of pain. They are not vocal (unless screaming in terror/agony) and tend to exhibit signs of pain in a physiological way- eg not eating, gut stasis, hypothermia, systemic shock

You could also print this to back up your argument:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=500

I have had this problem too. :( With a guinea pig after her spay I ended up having to use the end of a bottle I already had that was a few months old, because they refused to give me it. Ridiculous. :roll:

Thank you everyone. I'm going to make sure they will give me pain relief before I book her in for her spay. Especially thanks to Jack's-Jane you never let me down! :lol:

Oh and how long will I need it for and how much? Sorry I've never had a bun spayed before. So worried.

I would expect to give it for at least 2-3 days. The dose rate of Metacam is between 0.3mg-0.6mg/kg/24 hours. A middle of the range dose may be appropriate. The Vet should do a post op check, so I would ask for enough doses to give until the check takes place.

How Rabbit savvy is your Vet ? To be honest if he/she is awkward about post op' analgesia I would be reluctant to have him/her spay my Rabbit in the first place.

I would expect to give it for at least 2-3 days. The dose rate of Metacam is between 0.3mg-0.6mg/kg/24 hours. A middle of the range dose may be appropriate. The Vet should do a post op check, so I would ask for enough doses to give until the check takes place.

How Rabbit savvy is your Vet ? To be honest if he/she is awkward about post op' analgesia I would be reluctant to have him/her spay my Rabbit in the first place.

Thank you. This particular vet wasn't my usual and she seemed alright but nothing special. My usual vet is rabbit savvy and I'm quite comfortable with him doing the op. I'm going to double check everything before I book her in.

Thank you. This particular vet wasn't my usual and she seemed alright but nothing special. My usual vet is rabbit savvy and I'm quite comfortable with him doing the op. I'm going to double check everything before I book her in.

id speak to your usual bunny savvy vet and see what they say about the pain meds if they agree great if not id be wary of getting the spay done.
If they agree then you could ask them to update their colleagues if they work in the same practice so they ate not giving out the wrong info to other owners.

Back