• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald patch under chin

acornconker

Young Bun
Hi,
My rabbit Acorn has developed a bald patch under his chin and it seems to be getting larger. It has spread down onto the fatty bit underneath (I can't remember the technical term for this bit!).
I am wondering if it might be stress or boredom related because we lost his brother at the beginning of the year to the fox. Acorn has a lovely big shed and run with lots of hidey holes and tunnels, but I do appreciate that he may well now be lonely. I am going to book him into the vets as the bald area seems to be getting slowly bigger.
Acorn doesn't like to be picked up so unless I need to move him somewhere I don't generally pick him up, so haven't been able to take a really good look at it.
I have a possible new friend for him to bond with lined up, but would like to get this sorted first.
Just wondering if anyone has had this before, or if bald patches are common?

Kate x

You are doing the right thing in taking him to the vet.
Could be stress-related as he is missing his companion, but good to rule out any physical problems.
I'm sure he'll love to have another wifey bun, which you say you have lined up. If you approach a rescue they may well bond him for you to one of their spayed females.

I took acorn to the vet who checked him over, his teeth are fine and his coat is in really good condition so she was able to rule out parasite infection and dental problems. His actual chin is not bald, just the fatty bit round his chest. So she agreed with me that he must have been over grooming. ;) Maybe he's been trying to scrub up for his forthcoming date with a new mate!
I am relieved and although it is sad that he is obviously lonely, at least it is hopefully something I can rectify fairly easily.
Thanks for your reassurance that I was doing the right thing.
Kate

I took acorn to the vet who checked him over, his teeth are fine and his coat is in really good condition so she was able to rule out parasite infection and dental problems. His actual chin is not bald, just the fatty bit round his chest. So she agreed with me that he must have been over grooming. ;) Maybe he's been trying to scrub up for his forthcoming date with a new mate!
I am relieved and although it is sad that he is obviously lonely, at least it is hopefully something I can rectify fairly easily.
Thanks for your reassurance that I was doing the right thing.
Kate

:wave:

Back