• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A bit puzzled by Harley

Fellie

Warren Veteran
This has happened on a couple of nights now...last week and last night.

The buns all get a bit of a treat at night - a few nuggets or something like that and they all are usually gagging for it as though they have never been fed. They also all come out for free range time (not together) in turn. We usually let Bobo and Harley out last of all and last night Harley just didn't want to come out and nor would she have her treat...tried her with everything and she just sat there in their hutch. She came out for a little bit - and seemed bright enough in herself but then went back to her hutch. She seemed relaxed enough but just not quite herself if you know what I mean? Didn't seem in pain or uncomfortable though. She did the same one night last week.

She is fine again this morning - ate her breakfast as normal and alot more lively.

Does anyone elses bunny do this? Just lose interest for a short period in food and coming out?

Is she eating plenty of hay and producing normal big golden poos?

Personally, I always think that any change in behaviour is worth a vet visit on the grounds that it is better to be safe than sorry and the change could indicate a problem with teeth or digestive system.

Hope Harley is OK. :wave: Spenser goes through phases like this, he is a very moody bun and takes the huff eaasily - not his fault really, he is spoilt and single, neither conditions that are generally considered ideal for a rabbit.

I suppose rabbits are like us in that they can have off days, but becuase stasis can have serious consequences for a rabbit (more so than us being a bit off our food) I am generally inclined to be safe than sorry and arrange a vet appointment.

Yeah - do get the point about getting to the vet - however our closest emergency vet has proven to be rubbish with rabbits - and she is absolutly fine this morning - eating like a horse and doing lots of good poops.

And as mentioned - she was just a bit quiet but not in pain and when she did come out, seemed perfectly normal - I realise though that rabbits can hide pain very well!

I do have an appointment booked now at our regular vets today to get her teeth checked over and a general overall health check just to be on the safe side:thumb:

Mr Bennett does this with crunchies and SS pellets, but he has a tendancy to sulk sometimes. Only thing I can think of is a possible dental problem.

Back