• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at home

Kelle

New Kit
My son had recently brought me a rabbit from pets at home I've had him 4 week in the first two I had to take him back due to bumps all over him. So took him vets they said he got abcess he had two loafs of antibiotics the last one was on Monday. Then I go to get him out last night and he not looking well so I take him out to find hes got dyherea he was in a mess si bathed him and changed cage hand fed him some water with sugar and salt to help him from dehydrating. But I've just got up and hes died! :(

I am very unhappy with how they have sold this rabbit and in the state he was it is very unfair to these animals. Who do I go to, to make a formal complaint I am very upset I had not had him more than 4 weeks. These poor rabbits need proper care. Can anyone help me please. X

Unfortunately this happens occasionally. You need to go back to P@H and tell them everything that has happened and insist they pay any expenses and refund your money. Make a written note of everything and tell them of your concerns. There is a lot to learn before taking on a rabbit and this site can help and advise. Small lumps all over the skin could mean lymphoma.
Rest in peace little bun x

RIP little bunny and so sorry for your ordeal. Pets at Home are a bit notorious for having similar issues like this.

I recommend getting a necropsy from your vet to find out exactly what was wrong with the poor bunny. With that information write a letter to the P@H head office attaching copies of the vet documentation.

I'm sure they do a receipt for the animals that states if the animal gets sick their vets need to see it. I think there are 2 weeks they cover but that is all. You could do with talking to the shop your son got it from.
I've only yot gerbils from them so rules could be different for rabbits.
Must he a horrible experience. Maybe concider popping to a rescue, they only put healthy buns up for adoption so you shouldn't experience the same issue. If you do get another bun thoroughly clean the cage to remove anything that could be picked up xx

Sorry to hear what happened to you, unfortunately this does happen to a number of small animals sold via pet stores. I would definately go in to the store and complain to the manager explaining what has happened, I would also put a complaint into their head office.

A suggestion if you are planning to get another rabbit in the future is to go to a rescue and get information and advise from them, they will have plenty of rabbits avaialble of all ages who are looking for a home. They also will give you advise and support in the future if you need it which can be very useful.

We took a rabbit on from P@H adoption center, she had a chunk missing out of her back and noody wanted her, they vetted her the day before she left, she died the next day, even though she was 'fit and well' and 'injury healing well'

They will try to offer you a new one, DO NOT ACCEPT IT! Speak to one of the lovely members on here who im sure will help find you a lovely adopted rabbit, theres lots of lonely buns out there searching for their lifelong homes and family of there own xxx

Get a refund for all expenses from them.
Then if you are ready for another bun
contact the wonderful rescues on this site and
find a lovely bunny who needs adopting.
Best of Luck.

Pet shop rabbits are bred in awful conditions so it's no surprise when they get sick and die. Diarrhea will kill most animals within 24 hours. I would do what the others have mentioned but make sure you DO NOT get another animal from them. There are thousands of rabbits and other animals needing homes all over the country so perhaps you can give a home to one/two of those.
Let us know what you do.

Back