• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help is my bunny getting bullied!

just wondering if anyone could help me.
I have 2 rescue Bunnies Lola(f)and Barney(m)both 2years they are both bonded although it did take me a while but they are the best of friends now. I was then asked if I would take on a lonely 8 year old bun Jack which I did hoping he could live a happy life with these two.
1st day of bonding took them out in car then in dog crate for 4 days all got along well no fighting etc so decided to put them in bunny house outside. then Barney and Lola start to keep chasing and nipping poor jack. jack stayed in his litter tray for 24 hours and wouldn't come out ,so then went back to stage one again they was all kept in dog crate for a week all got along we'll AGAIN grooming eating etc. So decided to try outside again now the problem is jack is so terrified of them both he just runs into the corner and sits on his own they give him a nip herenand there. And if he goes back outside he get chased and nipped. this has been going on for 3 weeks and just worried Jack is too old for it all and is he just getting bullied. he must be sick and tired of staying in the one spot all the time .i can decide if the next stage is 1: do I just leave them to it? 2 :do I get jack another friend and put them in separate house away from the other 2? 3 :do I put Jack in house next to them so he can see them but they can't hurt him. I just feel so bad seeing him alone in the corner whilst Barney And Lola groom each other etc .Would love some help :wave:

I'm not much good with bonding (sorry :oops:) but I've moved this to the right place for you so that others might be able to advise. :love:

The outside home you move them in to, is it totally neutral or have the original pair lived in it before?

The only other thing I can think of (no experienced in bonding but have read lots of bonding stories on here) is that people usually advocate expanding the space gradually.

Welcome to the forum :)

It sounds there is potential because they did so well in the crate and I wonder if you progressed the bond too fast. Also did you neutralise the area you out them into that he is being bullied in?

That said, trios do not always work and he sounds deeply unhappy.

If he was line I would separate immediately and bring him inside with a view to find him a bunny that he could bond and live happily with.

I also think you need to watch very carefully because after all that stress he may start or already be showing signs if a medical issue as a result of this.

Ps- we love photos of bunnies so please feel free to post!

I assume he is neutered? - sorry if you've said and I missed.
Bonding needs to be done in a small, neutral area - nowhere that your other rabbits consider 'theirs' - and it has to be done slowly.
Please don't just leave them to it. Remove him and put him in his own hutch and run - rabbits can inflict horrendous injuries.
Hope someone can help further.

ETA - Just seen Sky-O's post - she has given much better advice!

Last edited:
Back