• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Auboise as an alternative to megazorb.

I use aubiose for mice, chickens and in the rabbit's run. It's great stuff, a lot like wood shavings but safe to use for all critters and more absorbent.

I've used aubiose for about 4-5 years now. Great stuff, and when that isn't in stock I use hemcore, which is about a pound more. One bag of aubiose (£10) lasts me a month for 4 buns and 2 guinea pigs..so not bad value. I tried megazorb once and hated the smell, and it was so dusty! Aubiose is dust free, and really does draw urine down to bottom and locks in smell. I only smell the ammonia smell when I empty the litter trays (underbed storage boxes).

I've used aubiose for about 4-5 years now. Great stuff, and when that isn't in stock I use hemcore, which is about a pound more. One bag of aubiose (£10) lasts me a month for 4 buns and 2 guinea pigs..so not bad value. I tried megazorb once and hated the smell, and it was so dusty! Aubiose is dust free, and really does draw urine down to bottom and locks in smell. I only smell the ammonia smell when I empty the litter trays (underbed storage boxes).

Thankyou so much, I was begining to panic as I have only ever used megazorb for my own 6 buns plus 6+ foster buns :thumb: But the farm has now gone out of buisness (I was paying £6.00 a sack) so I was stressing over an alternative.

Thankyou everyone for all your comments, I will try Aubiose. :wave: :wave:

I like Aubiose. As others have said, it really draws moisture downwards and keeps the surface just slightly damp. It's good at keeping smell at bay too. However, I don't find it as absorbant as Megazorb, particularly for the bunnies as I just put Megazorb straight into litter trays without lining with newspaper first. Wet Megazorb can easily be scooped out of the tray whereas the liquid seems to be running around the bottom of the tray if using Aubiose. My preference is Megazorb into 'naked' litter trays for the buns but Aubiose onto newspaper for the piggies. To be honest, both are good and if you're looking for value for money then you can't beat Aubiose.

I like Aubiose. As others have said, it really draws moisture downwards and keeps the surface just slightly damp. It's good at keeping smell at bay too. However, I don't find it as absorbant as Megazorb, particularly for the bunnies as I just put Megazorb straight into litter trays without lining with newspaper first. Wet Megazorb can easily be scooped out of the tray whereas the liquid seems to be running around the bottom of the tray if using Aubiose. My preference is Megazorb into 'naked' litter trays for the buns but Aubiose onto newspaper for the piggies. To be honest, both are good and if you're looking for value for money then you can't beat Aubiose.

That's really good to know Mackers :thumb:
We always have naked litter trays/ underbed storage boxes with no newspaper. We normaly use a 1 inch layer of megazorb followed by a layer of the hay dust just to hold the megazorb down for the fluffy buns. Then we put nice nommy hay on top of that. :thumb: So far it's worked a treat but now our supplier has gone bust. :(
We need to look at an alternative so thankyou for everyones input :D :wave: :thumb:

I'm allergic to sawdust/shavings does this have the same itch causing qualities?

I'm not allergic to anything, but when we first met Leo he was on auboise, I stuck my hand in and for the next 2 days I had a rash up to my wrist :shock: it only happened that one time though, really weird! I would use auboise tbh, but it's £10 for a smaller bag so £6 for a bigger bag of megazorb is just nicer :lol: the hamsters are happy with it anyway:p

oh if its not cheaper than megazorb I won't bother changing :lol:

Depends where you get it from :) I have no idea why where we get the megazorb from, the auboise is more expensive for less:? Unless you buy in bulk because it's a horse supply shop. But I don't want 10 bags of auboise in the house :lol:

Back