• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update: Misty is home :d

chloeturner

Warren Veteran
Misty is home from her spay :) it's a nice clean wound, looks like its been stitched up from the inside and probably has glue on the outside. They said she'd eaten some of her kale while she was waiting to be picked up, and has eaten a little more now shes home, had a bite of a brussel, and shes had a couple of little drinks, so I guess this is a good sign! She's just sat quietly in the corner in her cage, she'll be staying in there until tomorrow, when I'll let her have a little hop around. They said she'd had an antibiotic injection and a painkiller injection, that will last her until this friday when she's got to go back to make sure she's eating and drinking and healing alright, I asked for painkillers but they said she'd be fine :/ might give me some on friday when I go back. IM SO HAPPY SHE'S ALRIGHT. Never been so happy to see my bunny in my whole life <3 :D:D:D:D

Glad she is fine. Maybe the pain relief they gave her is a slow release one? I''m not really sure what pain relief they give but I would have thought they should have given you some to take home :?

So did I, maybe its because she'll be going back in a couple of days though so maybe theyll give her another when I go again. Im just glad shes home and eating, she woke up, had another bite of the brussel, had 2 nuggets, a drink, and now shes gone back to sleep :)

They give them a 24hour painkiller but from both of my girls spays, it wasn't enough. They were both very uncomfortable the same night and had to ring the emergency vet for advice on how much to give.

Careful not to give her too much space, I gave mine enough so they could hop around but not enough so they could binky and dart around too much incase the wound opened.

I've left her in her cage, plenty enough room for recovering bunnies :) I asked if I would be given any painkillers and they said no, the injection they gave her would last her until friday. She seems comfortable enough, wakes up for a drink and a mouthful of food, then goes back into the corner to sleep again, must feel pretty rough! Did they give you painkillers then? Like I said, perhaps its because they want to see her friday, but if I think shes in any pain or discomfort then I'll phone them up straight away, and they said to take her staight back if she either didnt eat anything or stopped eating, taking her upstairs with me tonight, she'll be staying in her cage, just so I can keep an eye on her and itll be warmer :)

I wasn't for Poppy but was for Lola. With Poppy we were just lucky because we had some metacam left over. They were both fine for about 12 hours but then went quiet, hunched and just looked uncomfortable. Definitely keep an eye on her because I don't think you can get a painkiller that will last 2 days. Hopefully she'll be alright:)

Id call the vet and ask for painkillers, I got pain killers away with me for both my guns spays.
the injection lasts for 24 hrs and its generally the next day that you start giving the metacam.
They usually need it for a good few days afterwards.
think of how much pain releif a woman would get if she had a hysterectomy, its exactly the same.
Have you got any snugglesafe or a hot water bottle you can wrap in a towel? Heat will help her and make her more comfy, when willow was spayed she sat glued to the heat pad all night.

I have a hot water bottle, but her cage is near the radiator and i've covered her with a towel. I hope she'll be alright, I'm not sure of an emergency vet around here, because a lot of vets were getting attacked on after hours call outs :/ I feel awful now, I should've insisted on meds but I suppose you think they know best, so if she's uncomfortable through the night I'll ring up first thing in the morning. At the minute she just seems tired, she doesnt seem in any pain. Fingers crossed :/

If you call your usual vets there should be an answer message with the address and number on the message.
You should be ok for the night but id be back at the vets tomorrow asking for the pain releif.
A good bunny savvy vet would have given it away.
Don't worry too much, just get her the meds when you can.
Having something hot to snuggle or sit on can make them feel a lot better, so id pop the bottle in the cage.
What have you got her bedded down on?
I use newspaper, puppy pads and then fleeces didn't want to use the usual hay in case it irritated the wound.

Newspaper with an old towel, emptied the hay out the cage for the same reason. I'll definitely do that when I go to check on her, my mum is watching her for now, I'll be going down in 10mins. Thanks for the advice, everyone is so helpful! Will be on the phone to the vets first thing :)

Newspaper with an old towel, emptied the hay out the cage for the same reason. I'll definitely do that when I go to check on her, my mum is watching her for now, I'll be going down in 10mins. Thanks for the advice, everyone is so helpful! Will be on the phone to the vets first thing :)

perfect! :) I also found having hay in the hay rack can encourage them to start eating it again, but I was paranoid about hay getting into the bottom of the cage, I needn't have worrried :lol:
Its stressful though looking after a wee bunny after a spay, I camp out on the couch when I got them done :)
Well dome you for getting her eating a bit as well so soon after it.
Angel refused food for that night and then not really interested the next day until the afternoon.
I was in bits worrying about her, offering her all these nice foods :lol:
Whereas willow had bits of hay and then early next morning was begging for dill!
I had more heating things for willow though, so I think that's probably how she felt better, angel just had the one heat pad.
Willow had 2 and a hot water bottle :)

I didnt even have to coax her! The vet said she'd been eating while she was waiting for me to fetch her :) not as much as she usually does, but thats to be expected, I popped her into her cage, popped her food bowl in there with nuggets and goodies, and she had a munch and a drink :) defo will wrap up a water bottle in a towel and pop it in there for her :)

I didnt even have to coax her! The vet said she'd been eating while she was waiting for me to fetch her :) not as much as she usually does, but thats to be expected, I popped her into her cage, popped her food bowl in there with nuggets and goodies, and she had a munch and a drink :) defo will wrap up a water bottle in a towel and pop it in there for her :)

sounds as though shell recover quickly :love:
We need wee pics of your beautiful girlie!! :)

These are her relaxing after we first go her home, one covered up, one she'd just been to eat and settled down again:
2013-02-13165613_zps29d665c3.jpg

2013-02-13162948_zpsbe892e1c.jpg

And this is her normal and well :)
IMAG0858_zps92c50a22.jpg

039_zps52643a56.jpg

041_zps13b9aff5.jpg

Her ears are always like that! She's such a sweetpea, love her to bits :love: well I put the hot water bottle in the corner where she's been sleeping, so she's moved over to the other corner :roll: she looks like she's asleep, so I popped the bottle next to her and covered her with a towel, she hasnt moved! Warm and comfy, and probably still feeling groggy, no doubt she'll decide to perk up just as I want to go to sleep! I'd stay up all night for my Misty though :love:

Her ears are always like that! She's such a sweetpea, love her to bits :love: well I put the hot water bottle in the corner where she's been sleeping, so she's moved over to the other corner :roll: she looks like she's asleep, so I popped the bottle next to her and covered her with a towel, she hasnt moved! Warm and comfy, and probably still feeling groggy, no doubt she'll decide to perk up just as I want to go to sleep! I'd stay up all night for my Misty though :love:

just let her choose when she wants to sit on the bottle, it will help her even if she is just sitting a wee bit away from it.
After GA bunnies tend to have problems regulating their temp so having the option to be able to lie next to a bottle will be good for her.
I think it should be ok for you to go to bed, and just get to the vets in the am and get pain meds for her xx

Back