• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House Rabbits

Hi :wave:

My two rabbits are house rabbits, they roam the house and all however when we go to bed at night they sleep in their hutch (a two story hutch we had built & inside) but i'm wanting to completely move them out of the hutch so they roam the house 24hours a day. How can I do this and slowly as I don't want to stress them out. They always run upstairs to their hutch at night and they know when it's bedtime and they're up at the crack of dawn but the hutch is becoming a nightmare for us really and i'm not sure what to do. Any advice would be great :)

I use large under bed storage boxes as litter trays with aubiose/hay. And you could use a puppy pen around their hutch, and litter tray in their hutch until they get used to puppy pen, then remove their hutch. Mine also like old towles/fleeces to lay on, so you could put these in pen. Then when they are used to pen and go back there at night, slowly expland it..you then may be able to remove pen so they just have the whole room where their hutch is. as my rooms are open plan, I use large sheets or hardboard to section off rooms..I plan to paint them same colour as walls so they blend in!

dismantle it in front of them..clear up and lay out underbed boxes etc as described......BUT give them a carboard box as a hideout.....or a wooden den you see everywhere online. Its what i had to do to ours when it got sent to a rescue and had no other option in the end.

my frenchies in the lounge had the run 24/7 and Baxter became uber twrritorial as did bluebell..it became a weeing contest...usually on my bed settee...nikkis bed...all over the floor etc. He weed in front of the baby gate two nights in a row which is unusual now...because i use pen panels and wait for them to go hop in their litter trays or lay down amongst the food and water bowls....and put the remaining panels up around them. They usually then flop barrel roll etc after a long washing session etc.

buns do like security...some can handle free range others cannot...so provide some little house or even a kiddies pop up tent..yes i have done that one too!

good luck!

Back