• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

George is a Metacam addict

My sisters bunny George was neutered last friday and the vet gave us some Metacam for pain relief.

I thought we would have huge problems giving him his medicine. But he loves it. :shock:

All we have to do is push the syringe up to his mouth and he starts licking. No forcing him to take it, so no upset bunny. :love:

I just hope my bunny Hershel likes it, as he's booked in this friday for his neuter.

How does everyone else's bunnies like/take Metacam?

It's annoying as Doughnut has been on it for about 2 months now, twice a day and she doesn't like it, although most rabbits apparently do. She happily takes most medicine out of her bowl like septrin and even panacur! She fights to get to fibreplex too. I have to put it on a tiny bit of weetabix for her otherwise it would be left.

Usually buns do love the stuff. My Inca has been on it daily for over a year now and she goes berzerk for it!

Usually buns do love the stuff. My Inca has been on it daily for over a year now and she goes berzerk for it!

I'm going to tell Doughnut off tonight for being awkward, she lapped up cisapride and ranitidine too! She goes mad for the weetabix though:D

Belle was spayed last wednesday she loves metacam.

All i have to do is walk towards her with it and her mouth is open waiting. Then i have to fight with her to get the sringe back. At first she wasn't so keen but i think it was more because she was in pain.

I'm going to tell Doughnut off tonight for being awkward, she lapped up cisapride and ranitidine too! She goes mad for the weetabix though:D

She must be in a very low percentage of buns not liking Metacam!

She likes every other medicine though. I thought it strange she liked panacur as I could imagine it tasting awful.

She's an odd little bunny, but very special to me.

It's annoying as Doughnut has been on it for about 2 months now, twice a day and she doesn't like it, although most rabbits apparently do. She happily takes most medicine out of her bowl like septrin and even panacur! She fights to get to fibreplex too. I have to put it on a tiny bit of weetabix for her otherwise it would be left.

Harvey is like Doughnut :( he won't take metacam at all, hates the stuff! He also hates any other medicine he's ever had and HATES critical care. Lilly however loves critical care which could come in handy one day but has so far proved annoying as I'll be trying to syringe feed stubborn Harvey and Lilly will be scrabbling next to him, pushing him out the way to get to the syringe :roll:

Bubbles used to need metacam twice daily for the last few mths of her life and she hated it each and every time.... :roll::lol: Luckily she was very easy to syringe meds into though!

Prancer loves the stuff! He reminds me when its time for his meds (Metacam & Lasix). I even think he's disappointed that his Lasix was cut in half about a month ago. Good for his heart! Bad for his addiction :lol:

Bella had Metacam every day for about 2 weeks when she had dislocated her hip...she used to go crazy. She would actually attempt to grab the syringe and run off with it :lol:

Boris on the other hand hated it with a passion but he was a very picky bun!

bisc and matt are obsessed with metacam. they have been on it for years now and still go hyper when it's meds time! :lol:

So it's not just my bunny who is a metacam addict. He hasn't tried to run off with the syringe yet though, so I think we can break the addiction :thumb:

I just hope Hershel likes it. So far he has had fibreplex and panacur when we discovered he had worms a few weeks ago, no problems with the fibreplex but he started to refuse the panacur and it was on basil. So we had to force him to take it. He wasn't a happy bunny.

Don't make her feel bad, it sounds like she has been on enough medicine to last 20 bunny lifetimes, poor thing. :cry:

Don't make her feel bad, it sounds like she has been on enough medicine to last 20 bunny lifetimes, poor thing. :cry:[/QUOTE]

I'm only joking, I wouldn't tell her off. Think she is going to be on more as she's not been too good the last few nights.

Mine both love it. Maurice was NOT a fan initially...I used to have to hide it in a bit of toast....but now he's fine taking it straight out of the syringe

Marnie tries to steal it off him :roll:

When I got in from work last night my sister told me that he tried to grab the syringe when he got his dose yesterday. :lol::lol:

It was his last dose yesterday, so he will have been disappointed this morning. We were only suppose to give him it for around 3 days after his neuter, but there was a bit of swelling and our vet advised us to carry on for a few more days. Thankfully the swelling has gone back down now so that's a relief. Goes for his check up tomorrow. :thumb:

Back