• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Living in Carrier - UD post 39 :0)

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
On one of the free add sites there is a rabbit for sale and looking at the photos it looks like this bun is living in a pet carrier :( Bunny is located in London and I wondered if there was anyone on here who would be willing to help get bunny out of there. He is a male bun, Dutch cross looking and about 10 months old. I have been in touch with the seller to give friendly advice about rehoming but not had a response so I think this person is all about the profit. Also in one photo the carrier looks as though it is resting on top of a hutch which I think suggests there might be more buns :(

Would anyone be willing to visit this place and assess the conditions and possibly rehome this bunny?

Last edited by a moderator:
He/she doesn't say that in the ad but it certainly looks that.

He replied to me once when I asked if there was a hutch available with the Rabbit or if he lived in the carrier. Seller said there is no hutch and he needs the carrier for 'other Rabbits'

I then asked if the Rabbit actually lived in the carrier and if the other Rabbits have hutches but seller did not reply

:cry:

He replied to me once when I asked if there was a hutch available with the Rabbit or if he lived in the carrier. Seller said there is no hutch and he needs the carrier for 'other Rabbits'

I then asked if the Rabbit actually lived in the carrier and if the other Rabbits have hutches but seller did not reply

:cry:

Sounds like the same one :( Holding out for money. The bun in the pic has museli and no hay either. I think we would have to buy bunny to get him out for definite. Oh and take hutches fro breaking up too.

could always try the rspca? They're next to useless, but you never know. Being kept in a carrier is against the freedoms of animals.

Thing is, if this guy has more rabbits and someone buys this one, what's not to say he wouldn't do it again with the next rabbit?

could always try the rspca? They're next to useless, but you never know. Being kept in a carrier is against the freedoms of animals.

Thing is, if this guy has more rabbits and someone buys this one, what's not to say he wouldn't do it again with the next rabbit?

I have thought about it but I don't have an address to give the RSPCA and if they are anything like the SSPCA they will say so long as bun has food and water its ok. I don't want to fund a breeder any more than the next person but this seller has rebuffed rehoming and rescue attempts. I think buying the bun is the last option left now.

I find the whole breeding rabbits for profit ridiculous, they dont make enough! Hope these buns get help :cry:

I am hopeless with free ads, last time I couldn't find the link.

Anyway I am not far from London, do you want to pm me the details and see if we can do anything. Sounds horrendous. Also worried if we do help, will there be another bunny that will replace the one advertised and they will be moved into the carrier.

I rescued a cat about 2 weeks ago with a poorly eye, we phoned the rspca, they came out and the woman denied having a cat, so they phoned us back and said if we could catch the cat they'd come and get it, so me and my fella went armed with some tuna and a towel, poor thing was starving! So I chucked the towel over it and ran off up the street to put it in my shed, we have a dog and obvs. a rabbit so we didnt want them catching fleas etc and had nowhere to put it but the shed, they soon came out. Could someone not pretend they wanted to buy the bun to get an address, then report poor living conditions to the rspca? Maybe tell them the bun looks really poorly and so do the other buns? I live nowhere near london and have a preloved account, so I cant do it, but maybe someone who lives closer? Rspca have an advice page on rabbits, so surely they'd do something if they saw the conditions :/

Everything you have all said makes so much sense and I would hate for this bun to be replaced by another :( BYB that is a really kind offer. I may take you up on that. Someone who works closely with a rescue has been in touch with me to see what she can do about the situation. She has contacted him and is now awaiting a reply so depending on what the seller says we shall have to take it from there.

Fingers crossed the wee bun can be saved.

If someone can get him I can foster if necessary for a short time

I can also offer transport as well

(I live near weybridge in surrey)

I have thought about it but I don't have an address to give the RSPCA and if they are anything like the SSPCA they will say so long as bun has food and water its ok. I don't want to fund a breeder any more than the next person but this seller has rebuffed rehoming and rescue attempts. I think buying the bun is the last option left now.

But putting money into his pocket would tell him that he can easily sell rabbits and breed more? I hate the thought of this rabbit in there, but unless he decides to give up breeding, you'll see another advert just like this a couple of months down the line. :( But do what you think is right. Maybe picking him up will enable the rescue of the rest of them.

I live in Staines so if it's not in central London I might be able to do a pick up and maybe look after him for a bit - pm me if you need to

It's so frustrating that there are so many other people doing this sort of thing :(

But putting money into his pocket would tell him that he can easily sell rabbits and breed more? I hate the thought of this rabbit in there, but unless he decides to give up breeding, you'll see another advert just like this a couple of months down the line. :( But do what you think is right. Maybe picking him up will enable the rescue of the rest of them.

This is what I hope. At least whoever can visit bun can assess the situation, they would also have the address and be able to alert the RSPCA. I know many of wonderful rescues on here have rescued buns in situations like this and taken the rest of the buns too and helped to educate breeders otherwise. Some have even gotten police and the RSPCA involved to a good end.

Thank you everyone for offers of advice and help. As yet we are not sure how to proceed as the seller has not responded. Depending on his response we will decide on the best course of action but will have to wait until then. I shall of course keep you all updated.

I would say arrang a visit then give the address to the RSPCA. Failing that could the ad not be reported to the RSPCA, they could pose as a persion who may buy and assess it fromthere. He needs stopping and banning:evil:

Back