• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dental Bunny Warning Signs

Cari

Warren Veteran
It's about getting to the time now where I should be expecting Ellie to have her first dental with us as the vets said every 3 months or so.

I'm just wondering what I should keep an eye out for to know she needs one? I'm feeling the big lump on her jaw, it's not any bigger (which they told me to watch) but other than that I don't really know what else to check?

It can vary a lot. Bubbles just used to suddenly stop eating but warning signs can include going off certain foods or just generally eating less, having trouble picking up food, dribbling or a wet chin, runny eyes, a mucky bum, smaller poops from eating less, weight loss.

It's a good idea to get to know what's normal for her (difficult I know as she's not been with you for long) so that you find it easier to spot signs that she's not quite herself. :D

Her poops are huge so that's easy enough to keep an eye on :) Thank you Karen, I'll keep an eye out for those thing, she's still her normal naughty and inquisitive self at the moment so I'm not too worried.

weigh her each week, so you can see if there is any weightloss.
And treat testing, if she refuses her fav treat/eats less hay ir just less food in general its a good idea to get her checked xx

With Lola, she always slowed down her eating, and stopped eating pellets. That was the only sign, she was fine in every other way xx

Ok thank you. Fattie has put on weight and nearly took my hand off for a treat so not too concerned yet :lol:

Ok thank you. Fattie has put on weight and nearly took my hand off for a treat so not too concerned yet :lol:

:lol:
Does she eat a lot of hay?
Maybe she won't need another dental for a good while if she's a good hay muncher.

She is a fantastic hay eater, I know Stephen is bad but I can't believe the amount she eats. They said her teeth are horrendous though so was expecting the worst.

Literally anything slightly abnormal. Apparently by identifying those signs my vet says I pick it up far earlier than the majority of their owners, so as long as you know her inside out and then identify anything slightly abnormal (essentially this is where your gut instinct comes into play) and act on it, you will pick it up exceptionally quickly.

My bun Flora had terrible teeth when she first came to me (open wounds in her mouth, ulcers and teeth growing really uneven and all over the place) and they told me she'd need a dental every couple of months as they were bad... It's now a bit over a year later and was checked up a month ago and they said her teeth were perfect :D Flora is a hay monster so you might well be lucky and it won't have to be so often :)

She's normally very outgoing and inquisitive (I opened the bedroom door to let them run around on the landing and 10 minutes later she'd climbed up a flight of stairs to my room and hopped on the bed). She's a pig for food, a bit of a bully to Stephen as she bosses him about and runs around in circles when she sees me :love:

So I'll just monitor her behaviour :) Thank you.

Back