• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I failed my Bunnies :(

Dave81

Mama Doe
Last week I started bonding my rabbits into a quad it was going well for 4 days then on the 5th day (well night) a full scale break down of the bond took place, I couldn't stop them fighting so I had no choice but to end it there and then.

I have since had to put both my boys back into separate accommodation which they can free range in and the girls are back in the living room in separate areas too as that bond is now in trouble.

On Sunday I had a full scale emotional breakdown as I couldn't cope any more, my mum had to come around to comfort me (strange as to how 5 days worth of broken sleep and been cooped up in a room can do that to you)

I am giving up my boys back to the rescue (Honey Bunnies) as I can't continue to carry on like this with them, its better for their welfare if they can be rehomed to owners who are able to give them other rabbit company, I also don't have the setup to house them all long term like this, I'm truly grateful that Jill can take both of them back in the coming weeks and I feel like I have let her down and my rabbits.

I don't know what I'm doing with my girls yet as I don't have the strength / courage to attempt a bond with them

I haven't felt this low in a long time and can now appreciate how people with full on depression feel, I'm slowly coming around so hopefully a few more days and I will be feeling better

You've not let them down! It's always been clear how well you care for them and you have made a tough decision to do what's best for them. I'd never have had the courage to bond a quad, I've chickened out so many times bonding, you really did give it a go, no wonder it took it's toll, lack of sleep really can break you.

I hope the girls rebond okay but presumably you have room for two set ups if they don't?

You've not let them down! It's always been clear how well you care for them and you have made a tough decision to do what's best for them. I'd never have had the courage to bond a quad, I've chickened out so many times bonding, you really did give it a go, no wonder it took it's toll, lack of sleep really can break you.

I hope the girls rebond okay but presumably you have room for two set ups if they don't?

I have the space to keep 2 rabbits separate long term if needed, it was a difficult decision to make about asking to return the boys but it would have been selfish of me to keep them like this forever.

Who'd of thought bunnies could tug the heart strings so much:shock:

If they are all neutered, is there a reason you cannot bond a boy with a girl and have 2 mixed sex pairs.
Mixed sex are usually much easier than same sex bonds.

If they are all neutered, is there a reason you cannot bond a boy with a girl and have 2 mixed sex pairs.
Mixed sex are usually much easier than same sex bonds.

I'm not in a fit state to attempt bonding again, I can't put myself through what I have felt over the past week again, if circumstances had been different then yes it could have been a possibility

I'm not in a fit state to attempt bonding again, I can't put myself through what I have felt over the past week again, if circumstances had been different then yes it could have been a possibility

Dave as said in e mail..leave this with me for a while as may have soemone who can bond into 2 pairs for you
but if this does happen you must follow all advice about keeping the pairs seperate
Also as said..lots of people cannot cope with bonding so don't feel too bad you couldn't do a quad, but lets see if we can work this out so you don't have to give up your two lads

Thanks Jill, I don't think I'd seen that in your emails

Will give me something to think about now

Last edited:
Don't feel like you have failed them. You were trying to do what you thought would help them all in the long term. Sadly groups can be a problem but I have to say you were very brave to try it in the first place. I've always wussed out and sent them to Jill to be bonded - just into pairs.
If you have the capacity for 2 pairs, then I would see if Jill can help make them into pairs for you. They will have a much happier time in a forever home with you, once they are settled with an OH. Just take some time to get over the shcok and disappointment and think about how lovely it would be to not have to give any up and see them snuggling together with their respective otherbun.
I had a quad - mother and 3 children and one escaped, when I caught her again the others bullied her and I couldn't rebond them myself. In the end I asked Jill yo find her a husbun and I now have one of the happiest pairs ever. Often a duo is best and enough for them. Hugs to you.

I think it's lovely that you tried and had the courage to admit it didn't work. If someone else could bond them for you it would be so much less stressful. I've never bonded rabbits as Doughnut is a house rabbit on her own. I feel mean sometimes thinking would she be happier with a partner but due to her being ill and money wise I couldn't afford it.

Things will get better and hopefully you will have two happy pairs of bunnys.

You haven't failed them - you are trying to do your best by them!

I hope Jill's plan works out for you. We're not brave enough to try bonding and get Jill to do it for us! :oops:

And as for 5 broken nights - yes it will drain you but try having kids!!

i really feel for you as i went through something similar a few years ago. my 2 girls (part of a M, F, F trio) started seriously fighting. i had to seperate them but as they both still loved my male Buddy i was sharing the time between him and seperating the girls from him seperatley.

i had no room to permanently seperate and the thought of rehoming one made me feel ill.

i really was at my wits end. i was constanly crying, tired and an emotional mess. i was even worse after my first attempt to re bond failed and ended up just being constantly physically ill with worry and upset.

i didn't feel strong enough to re bond but waited 12 weeks and feeling it was make or break time tried again.
this time it worked, the girls still have a hit and miss relationship but it has improved as time has gone on.

it seems you have plenty of back up from honneybunnies so i will leave it to the experts to sort out your bunnies.

i really just wanted to say you haven't failed. rabbits are complex little creatures and as much as we want something to go well and as much as we would like to have them understand how fantastic it could be, it doesn't always work that way. bonding a quad is a huge and hard job. i recently tried it with a foster bun i wanted to keep and it failed 2 months in. i was gutted.
please don't be down on yourself, it will all work out one way or another in the end, you have support from a lot of people. it does get better. x

Sending hugs. xxx

Please don't think you've failed the bunnies. Take some time to consider the best plan for them and you. Best not to commit to a decision when you are still upset.

What a hard, hard decision. I hope that they bond well as male/female couples and wherever they end up they will be happy.

Back