• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When will the badluck run end?

R.P.B.G.G

Mama Doe
Its not all bad, we have had some buns find new homes,

But everything just seems so bleak at the moment,

I never thought Id be saying this, we are always so careful, dont even put the intact bucks out when does are out, just incase they dig out,

We might have 2 accidental litters on the way, unless I can scrape funds together to get 2 spays, although the thought of spaying in this weather makes my stomach turn, (savings gone due to little mouk and huge vet bills, and security cameras due to someone playing silly ******* at night and cant risk the rabbits safety incase they try something with them)

I was feeding the buns last night, went about my routine as I always do the same every night, starting in the shed and them moving outside, as I refilled the feed tub I looked up to see Walnut a little yellow dutch buck, didnt registered for a good 15-20seconds, that he should not be in that hutch, and was infact in with 2 frenchie does, :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I obviously removed him immediatly and checked all buns for injury, nothing, I had been out at the buns between 12-2.30 and he was not in with them then, as I went round everybun, filling water, hay racks, treats and changing litter trays, I fed them just before 6pm so there is a potential he was in with them for 3 1/2hours,
At first I thought maybe someone had put him in there, but then I noticed a gap between the roof and the divider, really high but he had obviously used the hay rack as a step to get over,
I cant beleive it, I really cant,
I got hubby to fit a bit of wood to the gap so there is no way he can hop over again, we only moved the boys up last week, we had another frenchie in their before, and hadnt even noticed the gap at all, (these are home made hutches)

Really just want all the pants stuff to end, Enjoy having the buns so much, even the amount we have, I spend hours, morning afternoon and evening and a lot of the night (checking for foxes) with them, making sure they all have a fuss daily, but all this pants stuff is getting to me!

Roll on spring/summer!

PS. Im not a bad bunny mummy who doesnt get buns fixed, we have a high number that need 'fixing' and this takes time when everything comes out your own pocket, especially when on maternity leave, so try to get the ones that are going to be rehomed first, before the ones that are permanent, yet try to make sure all buns are paired, so I could do without that little chat!

Oh no! accidents happen when there are resourceful buns involved. It sounds like you do a great job with the bunnies. Hope that things can get sorted quickly.
Sending lots of good luck vibes your way.

Ooohhh no. I cant really say anything that"ll make you feel better but am sending you loads of hugs

Fee xxx

Thanks all,
Needed somewhere to vent, none of my friends are bunny friendly, and just find it amusing!

So understanding people is just what I need right now!

And hoping for 2 girl loving bunnies that didnt want to play piggy back with little houdini

There's something called galastop that is being used by rat rescues to abort early pregnancies as it's proven to be effective, it's like an morning after pill, but I don't know what the dosage would be for rabbits or if it would work just as good.

I don't think anyone is gonna blame you Hun, an accidents just that, an accident :( of course you can't get every bun neutered straight away, it's not always possible. What you do is really hard work and I do so hope that things get easier soon.

*hugs*

Accidents can happen, even to the most vigilent.

When rescues are taking in lots of rabbits, no-one can expect them to be neutered straight away....unless you have a money tree in your garden!

Think about all the good that you do and all the rabbits you have helped, try not to dwell on the bad stuff. I hope things start to look brighter soon and I'll keep my fingers crossed that you don't hear the patter of tiny paws!

ooo can you point me in the direction of a money tree please??

Ive read up on galastop and I dont think Id be happy giving it to my buns, 1 of them is extra special to me, the sister to Wills who we lost end of 2012

I think you're doing a great job looking after all those little buns and getting homes for them.

Don't beat yourself up. 2013 has been terrible for lots of people but fingers crossed it will get better for all of us.

ooo can you point me in the direction of a money tree please??

Ive read up on galastop and I dont think Id be happy giving it to my buns, 1 of them is extra special to me, the sister to Wills who we lost end of 2012

Oh shame, it would certainly stop pregnancies, in rats it only needs 3 days of a high dose. I asked someone who knows more and they said it was trailed on rabbits.

Fingers crossed they're not pregnant.

Is there anywhere I can read up on trials on rabbits?

I've asked the person who may know and tried to look on google, but none of it makes sense to me :lol: I know there may be side effects for rats with lacking appetites for a few days, but not sure with rabbits. Obviously if there's really bad side effects it wouldn't be worth it!

Thats where I read on google, and what I did read, didnt really give me much,

Ill keep asking about, if it comes that its safe, and weighs up then I will give anything a go than to bring more rabbits into the world!

Oh dear :( if they were all still in there together not fighting the it sounds highly likely that they have mated I'm afraid :(

If you really can't scrape the money together right now, would your vet let you do them on account as they would be emergency spays. Ultimately two spays now is far cheaper than raising two litters and neutering/vaccinating babies, and if it's done quickly before any babies even develop, there wouldn't be any increased risk due to increasing blood supply through pregnancy etc. I know it's not ideal to spay in this weather but I would say it is far the lesser of the evils - babies being born in this weather isn't ideal either!

Hope you manage to sort something x

Just want to add some ((((((((((hugs))))))))))))). I can't imagine the worry you must be going through. Vibes and prayers going that there are no pregnancies. Accidents happen and these little boogers make some spectacular escapes sometimes no matter how you try to prevent it. :(
It's sad that 2013 is starting out on such a bad foot. I think we're all feeling it in one way or other. Hoping for the best possible outcome for you and your bunnies. xx

Scraping money together sounds so wrong,
I get paid end of every month, so I should be able to get it done before, if I speak to my vets they might do it without upfront payment, but will be a case of wait and see,

To be honest I didnt notice fighting, but they all jump about at dinner time so I didnt take note, I was on autopilot :(

Back